Send Topic Print
wooden bead tutorial (Read 1083 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
wooden bead tutorial
Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Hey, well finally I have cracked the code of wooden bead making at home.  This method doesn't really work for sticks but is instead for dowels as the bead must be a specific shape. 

THE METHOD

Just simply take a piece of wood, (I recommend a hardwood,) and drill a hole through it using a drill press and make the hole the same size as the dowel you are making the bead from.  Then either make the bead from the dowel or insert a length of the dowel, (as long a in. or so longer than your drill bit,) into the hole.  The hole drilled with the press will be perfectly straight and the fit should be tight enough to insert the bead and not have it turn on you.  This makes for a very straight hole and I think it would even work on round beads though I haven't tried it yet. 

I came up with that after laboring over how to make beads at home of a small size, around the size of a peanut to the size of a marble.

The other way to do it is simply to get a piece of bamboo, and use an upright belt sander or a file etc. to shape them and make about 6 max. in a line on the bamboo and then cut each one a little with a sharp knife where they connect and then break them off.  These look really great and they come naturally red, green and yellow and have a natural shine to them.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Re: wooden bead tutorial
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 7:52pm

If you put cloth over the grips on a vice grip or pliers, you can hold stuff without marking it.  Your way probably works better, but you have to set up every time to make different size beads.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)