Send Topic Print
Your Grip Style (Read 8791 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Your Grip Style
Nov 7th, 2010 at 3:39pm

We've had a couple threads touch on this, but how do you make the release section of your sling? Rat Man made a poll on what you make your release section out of, be it: bead, knot, or tassel. I want to know how you hold you sling and where you hold your release cord. I use a finger loop on my middle finger with a release knot, but I hold the sling in front of the knot.
To do this I make the release cord fairly long and put the release knot about equidistant from the pouch as the finger loop, sometimes even farther.
I don't like release tabs, though; because I use the release knot as a stopper to prevent early release.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:18pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Your Grip Style
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 3:39pm:
We've had a couple threads touch on this, ...  I use the release knot as a stopper to prevent early release.
 Cool

The sane except Retention loop on the ring finger,  Wink or very large retention loop  Shocked around the wrist.
Both the retention cord and the release cord are on the palm side of my hand as in your first picture.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:23pm

My thumb is hiding it, but the retention cord is actually on the other side of my hand.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:18pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:14pm

On my braided cords I just make the gripping point a wider braid. On manufactured cords I just go with a small knot.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:59pm

My fingerloop is always on my ring finger.  With my braided slings I tie an overhand knot and grip that.  For my slings made of manufactured line I used to the same thing but recently I've been putting small wooden beads before the release knot and gripping them.  I tie just a simple overhand knot as my release knot for two reasons.  First, I'm extremely anal about knot placement and I often move it around just a tiny bit, often many times, before I get it exactly right.  Also, when my wooden bead is blown to bits by too many bull whip cracks it's very easy to replace.  Every once in a while I'll make a braided sling with a very thick release cord that's easy to grab so I don't tie any release knot at all.  
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:43pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 7:19am

For me it is retention cord on my middle finger and release knot pinched between my thumb and pointer finger.(standard)

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 7:36am

Retention cord on Thumb. Release cord held between tip of Thumb and Middle finger.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 1:50pm

Retention loop usually on middle finger. I have one sling where I hold the retention loop with both middle finger and pointer.
The release cord is always between thumb and pointer. I never use beads or similar things. With thin braided cords I make a little knot (which I grip) or a thicker braid at the end. Thicker braided cords (balearic slings) I just leave as they are. No release knots only one to prevent fraying

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 12:37am

Retention loop on middle finger release cord (no knot, bead or toggle, just cord) in between tip of thumb and first joint of pointer finger.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:39am

i use a constricting loop on the second knuckle of my index finger and grip the release (i favor leather tabs) with the index and thumb. this provides a single pivot point for both cords at the top of the hand, thereby avoiding tangling and, i feel, delivers the most accuracy.

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 3:33pm

I use a release tab very similar to paleoarts.  I used to use an overhand knot and I have stopped doing that after my accuracy increased at least 3 fold when I switched to a leather tab.  I make my tab by folding the leather over and cutting it to whatever shape I want the tab, (I like triangles mainly,) I then punch a hole through both halves of the tab near the base of the triangles, (really a folded diamond,) then I take the loose ends of my release cord and thread it through the holes.  I then tie the loose ends on one side of release cord, then on the other and then I whip over the loose ends.  I either do that or I just make the braid looser and pass the loose ends through that twice and whip overtop.  How did you make yours paleoarts?

How I hold it on my hand is hard to describe so I should take a pic, but I have the finger loop on  my middle two fingers with the cord running up overtop of my pointer finger.  I pinch the release cord between my thumb and the top of my pointer finger, on top of or next to the retention cord.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slinging Grip
Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:13am

Hi guys,

I have been slinging only for about 6 months tops and didn't pay too much attention to websites devoted to slinging - only recently found this one, so I think I started from the beginning using the wrong type of grip. 

Most of what I see on youtube the people there generally have the loop around their ring finger with the string going to the pouch facing outward away from their palm.  I cannot do this type of grip without 50% of stones simply falling from the pouch.

The grip I have become comfortable with is the opposite of this.  The loop is still around the ring finger but faces in towards my palm, with the remaining string going to the pouch running accross the inside of both my middle and forefinger.  The grip knot string is running parallel to the left of this.  I never have a stone fall out of the pouch this way and accuracy is not bad except every now and then (1 in 10) the stone releases too late flying a little to the left.

Just wondering if any of you guys use my type of grip and if not should I force myself to change to the more orthodox style.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Re: Slinging Grip
Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:59pm

As far as I know, the only "wrong" way to grip a sling is if neither cord is secured in some way.  Wink

I usually have the loop on my index finger, but I like to shorten my sling a bit from time to time by putting the loop on my pinkie finger, and passing it across my palm.

I've seen slings anchored to practically every combination of fingers. Slinging is very flexible like that. If it works for you and you get good results, then chances are pretty good that you aren't doing it wrong Cool

EDIT: Like this

image028.jpg (19 KB | )
image028.jpg

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:27pm

During my first years of slinging I used a narrow grip with the loop around my ring finger and the cord coming out between thumb and index finger.  I slowly drifted over to a wide grip with the cord coming out from my middle finger.  The benefits from this is supposedly less chanse og getting the cords twisted together + more spin applied to the ammo.  The difference isn`t so dramatic you can`t do it the way you find natural.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:32pm

Exactly. I went to a ring finger wide grip when I was learning how to rifle my shots, but once you get it down, it's pretty easy to do it regardless of the grip you use Smiley

(I must be spoiled, because tangling [with a tightly-braided sling] isn't really an issue in a narrow grip. However, when I use any paracord slings with a narrow grip, may God have mercy on my soul  Roll Eyes )

(Lol just a personal oddity of mine, newbies--doesn't mean any sling is inherently superior/inferior Wink )

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker)