Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cherokee Blow Guns & Thistle Darts (Read 8301 times)
sloonan
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Cherokee Blow Guns & Thistle Darts
Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:49pm

I took a class last weekend at Practical Primitives (http://www.practicalprimitive.com), a school for bushcraft and primitive skills. The class was entitled, "Cherokee Blow Guns & Thistle Darts" and taught by guest instructor Doug Meyer.

I had a blast!

First we made the blowguns out of river cane. Doug had a variety of pieces of cane he had picked out and then we sanded out the insides.

Then we learned how to make the darts using thistle.
Doug had collected A LOT of thistle near his home for us to practice with.
Here is what it looks like before.

It took a little while to get the hang of it but ...

I set up a little corkboard in the house to practice but outside I can shoot these pretty accurately from a good distance.

In case you were wondering, the Cherokee didn't use poison but did hunt with these. I just need to make slightly larger darts and I could hunt squirrels or rabbits.

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Re: Cherokee Blow Guns & Thistle Darts
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:08am

how did you sand out the inside, primitively or with modern tools? Looks like you had a blast, I'd love to learn to make my own blowgun and darts (for all the natural material i have in inner-city lancaster, PA) i have a modern blowgun from coldsteel and love it, but would love to be able to make one of my own.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

sloonan
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 7:36am

We sanded the insides with modern tools (threaded metal rods, and sandpaper rods) but Doug said that you can do it without the modern tools. He told us that there was a debate that these long blowguns never existed before contact with Europeans because people thought it would be to difficult. He said that someone made one using just stone age tools to end the debate, it just takes a lot longer.

I personally have know idea where you could find river cane in Lancaster (it's grown in the south eastern US) but we were talking in class and supposedly you can make something very similar with bamboo.

Lancaster is only about 2.5 hours from Practical Primitive. I know they don't do the Blowgun class regularly but they might have Doug come back again next year if you call and ask. I know he was teaching a class there the very next day that I missed on using river cane to make various primitive tools. I'd love a chance to take that next year if he is back. 
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:09pm

That was actually going to be my next question  Roll Eyes how did the sanding process work

I've only done initial research into the area of blowguns but one theory I keep running across is that in order to smooth out the inside people would drop an ember inside the top and let it burn its way down through the cell walls. Then use a slightly thinner piece of cane/bamboo to make it smoother.

Did he offer any other theories as to how they would have done it with stone age tools?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:54pm

drum_slinger wrote on Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:08am:
how did you sand out the inside, primitively or with modern tools? Looks like you had a blast, I'd love to learn to make my own blowgun and darts (for all the natural material i have in inner-city lancaster, PA) i have a modern blowgun from coldsteel and love it, but would love to be able to make one of my own.

I live a like an 1hr or so from lancaster and I am positve there is plenty of river cane around here mostly around river areas like the conewago and other small creeks. my advice is to make friends with someone who does have it and they are usually very willing to let people take as much as they want as it is a fast growing weed.

As far as the natural blowgun I think the way they did it in the East is split the wood in 2 and sand out the nodes and then glue (pine pitch) it back together (pretty sure at least  Undecided )

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 6:49pm

Dan wrote on Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:54pm:
drum_slinger wrote on Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:08am:

I live a like an 1hr or so from lancaster and I am positve there is plenty of river cane around here mostly around river areas like the conewago and other small creeks. my advice is to make friends with someone who does have it and they are usually very willing to let people take as much as they want as it is a fast growing weed.

As far as the natural blowgun I think the way they did it in the East is split the wood in 2 and sand out the nodes and then glue (pine pitch) it back together (pretty sure at least  Undecided )

That ive seen in a few shows in the tropics and such, but they would start with branches about the size of your arm and make a small channel in it, with bamboo/cane i think it would be very difficult to split it and glue it back together well based on how thin the material usually is

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 8:33pm

Straighten the cane with heat.  Use a long hardwood shaft, such as an arrow, put sand in the cane and start drilling.  When you can't reach any deeper, turn the cane around and work from the other end.  Pick your cane so you don't have a node right in the middle.  That way, you can use a 30 inch shaft and drill out a 6 foot blow gun. 

They were the equivelent of a BB gun or a pellet gun, mostly used for birds down in the Southeast.  There are accounts of NA using them to kill passenger pigeons by the basket full.   Bill

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:48pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I love the darts especially.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 1:12am

The more you use your blowgun, the smoother the inside gets. Eventually becoming polished like glass.   If you tie a knot at the top of your dart and lay the string along your left hand, and lay the thistle out along the string. You can tuft up the dart by just rolling it up towards your wrist. That method was taught to me by Walker Calhoun, a Cherokee Medicine Man/Wisdom Keeper.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:44am

Where there is no good river cane ....

Split a billet of wood gouge the channel in both halves, glue together and then sand the bore channel smooth.  

A not quite so instant blow pipe. I don't call them blow guns as some people are easily confused.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2010 at 2:20pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 2:04am

I would be cautious hunting squirrel with one.  I hunt the red squirrels that we have around here sometimes and I have to tell you, they can take a heck of a wack and keep on wiggling.  I have shot them in the head with a .22 hollowpoint from a 495fps. airgun and they still managed to squirm into their home in the bottom of the tree and make me dig 'em out.  I would suggest making some mini broadheads from hacksaw blades and for improved accuracy and stability of flight one thing I found worked was using fletchings.  Just below the cotton I used I put 3 fletchings with a helix, the fletchings being very small and the same width as the bore when fastened on.  This stopped the broadhead from dragging in the tube and kept the darts flight straight and it seemed to go farther.

Then again perhaps all that's completely unnecessary as I have only done target shooting with blowguns.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:24pm

If you put some type of metal or stone point on your dart, it will scratch up the inside.  I wouldn't use it on squirrels, either.  Bill

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Thats very nice work. I have made darts with cotton wool but not with thistledown.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)