Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Retention Toggle (Read 5108 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Retention Toggle
Oct 26th, 2010 at 5:53pm

Here a new retention Toggle. He is for my next Sling. He is from ivory. The pattern was inserted with leather.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Re: Retention Toggle
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 6:58pm

I love the designs; makes me want to put a toggle on my sling.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:06pm

retention toggle yours gives sling unexpected power. Width shots thereby get to know new definition.
Wink Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:05pm

Could you show how to hold it?  Bill

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:13am

One lays it in the hand. The "run" lies between showing finger and means finger.
With this technology the strength lies in the whole hand. Not only on a finger. The advantage: I have a lot of power, can relax the hand, besides, however, completely. Thereby I reach a higher shot speed.

V.JPG (58 KB | )
V.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:57pm

I was thinking about the assyrian slingers using a wrist loop on their sling.It is similar in principle with the retention toggle,that both distribute weight on a much bigger surface than a finger loop so much heavier stone or much greater velocity of the sling can be tolerated by the hand.I will do some test for sure...

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:00pm

The only drawback with the retention toggle is that it can fall out your hand much easily than a loop.Once i made a sling with one and I didn't like it because it doesn't stays on the hand by itself.But I guess some kind of loop on a retention toggle might be even better.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm

jlasud wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:00pm:
The only drawback with the retention toggle is that it can fall out your hand much easily than a loop.Once i made a sling with one and I didn't like it because it doesn't stays on the hand by itself.But I guess some kind of loop on a retention toggle might be even better.

For my heavy duty slings I don't make a loop at all, I just braid the retention cord longer than the release cord and wrap it around my hand. I don't notice any speed difference, but I can sling heavier objects.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:33pm

Thank you, that was the way I thought it would be held but I was not sure.  I have made a few slings for throwing big rocks, I made the retention cord longer and wrapped it around my hand.  I used a jagged rock that stuck in the pouch, it pulled the sling out of my hand.  My current one has a finger loop but the retention cord is long enough to wrap around my hand, best of both worlds.  My sling is secure with the finger loop, the stress of the larger rock is taken up by my hand.  That being said, I think the toggle looks great and I think I will try it.  Can you show a close up of how the cords are attached?  Bill

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:25am

retention Toggle is not to be compared to a loop for the wrist. With a loop I am able to do heavy stones shooting. A Toggle shoots itself also absolutely differently than a loop.
I can shoot very far with a Toggle. Much further than they it hold here for possible.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 6:56am

That is just beautiful. I care a lot for how my slings look, next time I have some free time i will blatantly steal your design and replicate it. Either from ram´s horn, or reindeer´s antler.
Btw where did you get ivory...?

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:25am

Indeed, a very beautiful and sophisticated toggle, Jaegoor. Hope to see you slinging with it, maybe next year.  Smiley

kuggur, afaik Jaegoor does not use ivory from contemporary elephants, but from mammoth teeth which are sometimes found in Siberia. They are occasionally sold in the West, legally, as it seems Undecided. I have even seen mammoth molars for sale on flea-markets in Germany several times.

I found shooting with a toggle and a tab much more difficult and unforgiving than with a finger loop and release knot. It forces you to shoot with a very clean technique. An excellent exercise.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Thanks jaegoor I just converted one of my slings with a finger loop and inserted a toggle and tied off( I have used both jute and duct tape and they both worked well) the bottom of the loop to get rid of excess slack . It was a little odd at first but a fter a few shots it felt pretty good and gave a substanial amount of power.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:29pm

sweet used to love toggles before i switched to wrist loops awsome looking toggle though

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 2:12pm

lobohunter wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:29pm:
sweet used to love toggles before i switched to wrist loops awsome looking toggle though

I was thinking about making wrist loop on a sling...how do they feel\perform compared to finger loop ?Assyrian slingers used wrist loops,I imagine that it could be useful when slinging bigger rocks but how it is wielded really I don't know.Maybe I'll just make one and test it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick)