Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bow Drill~Fire by friction (Read 3966 times)
Key

Bow Drill~Fire by friction
Oct 13th, 2010 at 8:36pm

ive got the spindle,bow,fire board but icant make a suitable handhold to stabalize and add pressure to the spindle.Any ideas?

posted on mobile

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Bow Drill~Fire by friction
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:20pm

Put some sand on a hand sized chunk of wood, use the bow and the spindle to drill a hole into the chunk.  Before you use the fire drill, put some wax or grease in the hole.  Bill

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 5:18pm

Although I have yet to be successful with friction fire I have attempted several times before and the best hand hold I found (if you don't mind being a little modern) is a 3/4 in pvc end cap,  I usually have one on my fishing kit any way anyway and it works pretty well. Good luck

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 7:48pm

make certain there is no excess grease used at the top end ... if the working end gets any hint of grease you won't get a fire and you will have to scrape the drill end back to clean raw wood and begin again. Ditto on the grease for the fire board 0 grease allowed..

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 8:40pm

Steven wrote on Oct 15th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
make certain there is no excess grease used at the top end ... if the working end gets any hint of grease you won't get a fire and you will have to scrape the drill end back to clean raw wood and begin again. Ditto on the grease for the fire board 0 grease allowed..

Yeah. Grease reduces friction, which is a measure of how much energy expended in moving an object goes into heat*. You don't want this reduced.

*All scientists would kill me for this simplification, but it is close enough here.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 11:25am

Very good point, I should have mentioned it.  You should not use very much, just enough to keep your hand piece from getting the coal.  Bill

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 11:35am

the best way i've found to lubricate the top of the spindle is to rub it against the side of your nose just prior to use. another tip is to keep your thumb pressed down on the string when working the bow. this keeps the string seperated from itself when wrapped around the spindle and avoids friction that can break it, not to mention widening the contact area for smoother spinning. the key to fire bows is smooth steady stroking until you see a decent pile of charcoal forming in the notch and a substantial amount of smoke. once that happens you apply more pressure with the pommel and really go to town with the bow. do that for at least 5-10 seconds and then stop to check if your charcoal dust is smoking on its own.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Key

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:49pm

i established my parts today and worked at it all day.I saw an inkling of smoke.More practice tomorrow.Thx for the tips

IP Logged

wannabescout
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:33pm

Another tip for bow drill is to use green material intro your top hole. To create it put the tip of your knife into any piece of wood (harder or of the same hardness as your fire board) and spin your bow drill. Make sure you are squared off and have a solid base. You do not have to press down hard on the spindle or go very fast in the beginning- once your notch is filled with ash 5 or 6 quick hard spins will be enough to light your coal. Good luck Smiley

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 11:49am

having the right wood helps a lot too. you can use a dense oily hardwood (i.e. oak or hickory) for your top board, opposite for the drill and bottom board. here where i'm from good wood species for drills are cotton wood, sage brush, and willow. also make sure your drill and bottom board are very dry.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 2:45pm

At the Edinburgh Paleo Skills Camp a couple of months ago one of the guys used a bowdrill to make fire. This is the first time I  have seen it done live and, although I have scoured the many YouTube videos out there it was much more impressive for real. The wood was well dried on the barbeque which probably helped.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)