Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
atlatl video slow motion (Read 6154 times)
MiddleAgedMinnesotan
Novicius

ah, hi

Minnesota
atlatl video slow motion
Oct 10th, 2010 at 8:11pm

Took my atlatl to an archery range, made a video.  Calculated based on video frames of slow motion that it went about 73 miles per hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaP2xvjMvk

IP Logged

Conor147

I dont always herp, but
when I herp, I derp.

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: atlatl video slow motion
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 9:27pm

nice, you can really see the spear moving in the air in the slo mo.

what if u skewered the camera though?  Undecided

actually, that would be quite awesome.

"Because there are laws such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."&&&&"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
Conor147  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 11:57pm

Conor147 wrote on Oct 10th, 2010 at 9:27pm:
nice, you can really see the spear moving in the air in the slo mo.

what if u skewered the camera though?  Undecided

actually, that would be quite awesome.

We'd never know, would we? So, Awesome vid!!

(Perhaps we still would? It wouldn't be like a conventional camera whee the film would get exposed, anything saved to memory should still be there even if the lens had an atlatl dart sticking through it.)

Can't help noticing the smallish target looks like a pin cushion. It'll be quite a while, if ever, before you're getting that sort of accuracy with a sling. Looks like an atlatl would be a deadlier weapon. Is 73 mph a typical speed? Slingstones would generally be quicker even if less accurate.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

MiddleAgedMinnesotan
Novicius

ah, hi

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:23am

Aussie wrote on Oct 10th, 2010 at 11:57pm:
Can't help noticing the smallish target looks like a pin cushion. It'll be quite a while, if ever, before you're getting that sort of accuracy with a sling. Looks like an atlatl would be a deadlier weapon. Is 73 mph a typical speed? Slingstones would generally be quicker even if less accurate.

I just calculated the speed of the second throw, and it was about 83-85 miles per hour.  The third throw was about 73 miles per hour.  So I have some work to do in the consistency department.

My first throw ever (not in the video) was my best.  It's been downhill since then.  But it is fun.  

By the way, the other holes in the target are from the bows/arrows of others.  I think the darts can be thrown faster than I am doing.  As for which is more deadly, atlatl or sling, I don't know, it probably depends on the target, distance, projectile, etc., but I do know I wouldn't want to be hit by either.  

With a field point I did stick one arrow about 1" deep into the treated wood.  I am surprised by how much energy these things have.  Those targets are very well constructed, and I was surprised by how much they were made to move when the target's frames were hit.

As I think about it, the dart oscillates, sustaining transverse waves as it moves forward.  One thing I suspect is that if the target is hit at the wrong point during the dart's oscillations, the dart tip amplitude may be at a maximum on impact, which I guess might reduce penetration with a simple point tip.  On the other hand, such lateral energy may increase the wound channel with a suitable hunting tip situated to be parallel with the transverse waves.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 3:03pm

So that's what it's like to be on the receiving end.  Great video!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 3:36pm

You're a great shot with that thing. How far back were you standing?

IP Logged

MiddleAgedMinnesotan
Novicius

ah, hi

Minnesota
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:39pm

20 or 21 yards or so.  I'm only hitting about 5% or so like that third shot, but I hope to improve on the accuracy.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:28pm

greta job, man! even with that junkie equipment  Wink

i keep telling you guys! atlatls are easy to use, much more accurate than slings, and far deadlier! that doesn't make slings any less desirable, though. both are fun as all get out and you can't carry an atlatl in your pocket.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Thats a great video, well done! What kit did you use?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 6:33pm

Holy,sweet video!

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Paleoarts wrote on Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:28pm:
greta job, man! even with that junkie equipment  Wink

i keep telling you guys! atlatls are easy to use, much more accurate than slings, and far deadlier! that doesn't make slings any less desirable, though. both are fun as all get out and you can't carry an atlatl in your pocket.

Never used one but it sure looks that way. I really must try them out. But, as you say, the big plus for slings is their portability and ease of use. When my tennis balls go over the neighbours fence they usually just throw them back. Don't imagine they would be so understanding about atlatl darts. The police definitely wouldn't be.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 5:56pm

Nice video! That's pretty accurate, at least compared to me at least... I like how you put the camera, too.  Smiley

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 9:08pm

David Morningstar wrote on Oct 16th, 2010 at 3:37pm:
Thats a great video, well done! What kit did you use?

that's an older model of mine that he got from me about a year ago. i'm stoked that he finally got around to using it and that it seems to be working great for him.  Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:18am

very very cool video !

And a confident man too - buggered if I'd put my camera on top of the targett lol

Yep atlatl's are fun and easy to make - it's the darts that are a pain in the arse both to make and carry around.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 9:34pm

but not impossible! my friend Huey visited me last week from back east and he brought his awesome basketmaker atlatl and a single take-down dart in a plastic tube (on the plane, no less!). his gear is 100% primitive and made with all stone and bone tools. the dart was a 6 footer that broke down into three pieces (two 2' 6'' halves of a mainshaft and a 1' hardwood foreshaft) and was joined in the middle with a scarf and tube joint that he fashioned out of a sotol stalk and sinew. looking at it you wouldn't imagine that it even stay together in flight let alone perform well, and yet he kicked my ass in an ISAC competition scoring a truly impressive 86! for those who don't know that is 86 out of a possible 100. not only that, but he was getting just as good if not better penetration than my 7.5' steel tipped darts. Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)