Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another maquahuitl (Read 3368 times)
aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

another maquahuitl
Oct 6th, 2010 at 3:55pm

just finished this up last night , 32 " and made from mahogany, smokey obsidian and pitch
(sorry for the sucky pics)

i love lots of primitive weapons, but these things always amaze me.
ever since i first learned about them i wanted to make one and using these blades from Jim was a pleasure Cheesy

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Re: another maquahuitl
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 6:51pm

BEAUTIFUL!!  Might I suggest making some sort of a design on the wooden section betweens the blades, maybe using a wood burner and/or some paint?  Also you could drill a hole in the pommel and hang a rope with some feathers or something or make a wrist strap.  The handle would be cool with some fur on it, awesome if you could get some imitation jaguar fur...  It looks so nicely made you should definitely put some time into decorating it!!

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:58pm

thanks  Grin im not to good a decorating things so most of the time i quit while im ahead..but your ideas would look good

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Well I think if you just made a leather wrist strap and drilled an extra big hole through the pommel it would be great!  And if you decide to paint it I think just a simple zigzag patter from one side to the other with a spot in the middle of each triangle would look awesome!  (Not sure what decorations the Aztecs used though...)  I really need to try making one of these, but I have only low grade ballast flints so I don't get a lot of great flakes, for this reason I need all of mine for flint knapping.  How many blades did you use to make that and what are the average lengths?

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:31pm

OOOOO!!! or a snake zigzagging up it...ok, I need to make my own... Roll Eyes

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:45am

OOOO!! Brainstormmmmm!!!  I just smashed up a estimated 52in. flat screen t.v. I found dumped on the beach, (the jerks,) using my 24 and 32in. slings, and the glass in the screen is in places over 2in. thick!  I never new that and I know why only some of the stones went through, it was quite mystifying to me at the time as I thought it was thin...anyway...  I bet I could get some really nice blades off of the shards of that, as I have some really big pieces about a foot long or more that I could drive some blades off of!  I'll let you know if it works out, I may be busy the next few weeks making me and my little bro's halloween costumes, we usually are almost done making them now but we haven't even started yet,  Shocked Shocked Shocked  We make elaborate masks by making a framework out of cardboard strips then cover it with felt and/or foam, we've done garfield, popeye, gonzo etc.  I am soooo off topic with that...

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Conor147

I dont always herp, but
when I herp, I derp.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:04am

omg, i came.

i can imagine that kind of weapon would devastate lightly armoured or almost naked flesh.

but against plate armoured conquistadores..... not so much Smiley

"Because there are laws such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."&&&&"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
Conor147  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 11:37pm

Aha!  But it could sever the head of a horse!!  That wouldn't be bad at all to use against cavalry, as you could attack the horses legs as well and the Aztecs would have loved it because a lot of them thought the Spaniard and his horse were one being!

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 12:39am

Conor147 wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:04am:
omg, i came.

i can imagine that kind of weapon would devastate lightly armoured or almost naked flesh.

Moirons (conquistadore helmets) didn't have face guards.

Nuff said.

And having been on a horse who tripped over both front feet at a dead run (similar to having them chopped out from under him), let me say it's kind of like being human catapult ammo. And when you overshoot the steed and land, he has a tendency to bounce on top of you. All you have to do as a Jagular Knight is stand there while some screaming Spaniard on some freakish animal you've never seen comes running at you at 35 miles an hour...

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Conor147

I dont always herp, but
when I herp, I derp.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:27am

Kjev wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 12:39am:
Conor147 wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:04am:
omg, i came.

Moirons (conquistadore helmets) didn't have face guards.

Nuff said.

And having been on a horse who tripped over both front feet at a dead run (similar to having them chopped out from under him), let me say it's kind of like being human catapult ammo. And when you overshoot the steed and land, he has a tendency to bounce on top of you. All you have to do as a Jagular Knight is stand there while some screaming Spaniard on some freakish animal you've never seen comes running at you at 35 miles an hour...

well, they were armed with toledo swords and bucklers and fought in ranks so slashes to the face werent much of a threat.

and the mounted conquistadores were armed with lances that were longer than the native tepoztopilli, and their charge was quite devastating.

but then theres the musket and arquebus armed dragoons and culverins that killed or routed the jaguar warriors before they even closed in hand to hand combat.

actually, spanish soldiers rarely engaged in melee combat with the natives, more often they just sent natives against each other.

BUT STILL!!! plate armour with cotton padding > obsidian inlaid clubs  Cool

"Because there are laws such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."&&&&"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
Conor147  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)