Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greenstone (Read 1335 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Greenstone
Sep 25th, 2010 at 12:19pm

I made a celt by pecking and grinding.  What was the old way to polish them, short of cutting down a lot of trees?  Bill

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: Greenstone
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 12:24pm

i think most were just polished by wear and age, Bill, but i have heard that wet buckskin and flint dust works well.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Greenstone
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 6:23pm

I tried that, after about an hour, I really couldn't see much polish, the scratches from the sand stone were (still are) pretty noticeable.  I know where some silt mud is, I am going to put that on a board and try that.  I have about 80 hours in the celt so far, I have made it the old fashioned way to get an idea of how hard it is to make one of these.  So far, I have blown of a large chunk that pretty much made me start over, got about 80% done the second time and broke it in half, got 90% finished and broke the corner off the blade.  Pecked when I should have ground, got in a hurry when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.  Finished grinding everything today, it was going to be about 9 inches (23cm) and about 1 inch (25mm) thick, now it is 4 inches (10cm) by 3/4 inch (15mm).  Next, I start the handle, I think I will use a piece of Eastern Red Cedar.  I am going to split and start grinding on it sometime tomorrow.  Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris)