Re: BROKE 200m! (Read 4153 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: BROKE 200m!
Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:28pm

EXCELLENT!!!  I don't think I've ever thrown 200 m. How heavy is a green walnut?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:45pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:28pm:
EXCELLENT!!!  I don't think I've ever thrown 200 m. How heavy is a green walnut?

Quite an accomplishment using green walnuts. I was out today with a friend slinging them and was having a hard time getting them out 100 yards. I normally sling in the 170 range with good stones or clay.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 10:34pm

I've broken 200 meters with oval shaped stones.  I know I couldn't with green walnuts.  That's quite a feat.  Congratulations.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:15pm

Awesome. I don't know if I've ever thrown that far even with stones. Very impressive.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:24pm

I can only get 100 meters with a good sling and good stones

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:32pm

I have been sling for about 8 months or so and I seem to be leveling out at around 80-120yds with a 22" sling using a very strong greek overhand does anyone have any tips?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:58pm

hmm maybe the best for distance is the byzantine style u can really sling with that, me i like to jump off the ground and forward when I use that style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADQStF-Rq4 ; notice how this guy has to move his right side forward, on a good day ill get about 200m maybe more, i cant even see the rock, though I imagine i just made some clay bullets that they'll go faster and farther

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Dan wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:32pm:
I have been sling for about 8 months or so and I seem to be leveling out at around 80-120yds with a 22" sling using a very strong greek overhand does anyone have any tips?

Doing 80-120 yds in only eight months is pretty good.  I don't know if you need many tips; you seem to be progressing just fine.  When I broke 200 meters I was using a long (maybe 49".. I forget for sure now) pj sling with a long, thin, tapered pouch.  I believe that the extra spin generated by the tapering helps my distance.  My ammo was oval shaped stones.. I should have used golf balls. I probably would have done better.  The stones were around the size of large chicken eggs.  I was using a modified side armed style.  If you've leveled out, Dan, maybe experimenting with a longer sling would help you get better distance.  The guys that shoot the farthest here seem to all use a pirouetting style, but I know my limitations and stick to what I can do.  Since then I've switched to Byzantine style.  I like it's simplicity and power.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Dan wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:32pm:

You don't say what ammunition you use. It makes a huge difference. Even two stones of the same weight will give very different results if one is jagged and the other smooth and rounded. 22" is quite a short sling, even for greek style. Try a slightly longer one and see what happens. Also big difference between 80 and 120 yards; 80 is fairly easy but 120 is already quite a long way, certainly on the max. range of where you'd hope to actually hit a specific target.

However probably the best idea to video yourself and act as your own coach and better still to post on YouTube with a link here.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 5:38pm

videos are good,  for archers and other professions too to see if they are going to full draw or something like that

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:05pm

Good throw!  I have noticed that the green walnuts in the husk are about the size and weight of my clay glandes.  I can get 150m pretty consistently, a good thrrow is about 175-180.  Now if I could just hit something...something I was aiming at.  Bill

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 10:39am

Sorry about forrgetting about the ammo , I usually use end up using irregular limestone quary waste about the size of an oblong golf ball (80yds), but some times I can get my hands on better ammo which is usually where I get my longer distances from. Thanks for the tips I think I will get some longer slings made and see how that works out.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Good shooting Cthulhu!

Brian

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 9:21pm

well, it looks like iv went and made an ass of myself again  Embarrassed

and I was ssssooooo excited for a day or two, thinking that i had broke 200....

i went back to where i was sling the other day, sling with my friend, when it slowly dawned on me that the clump of woods we were slinging at looked just a little different from the way they looked on google maps... and that we were positioned by the road a little strangely compared to where i measured...

and it appears i measured to the wrong clump of woods..... re-measured with my pace, was actually roughly 100m to the woods.
not the first time iv ended up doing something along these lines....   Tongue

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 10:14pm

well my clay glandes have hardend,  im gonna try em soon,  ill expect to throw far,  but they're soo precious i dont feel like throwing em,  they dont crumble when i try to sqeeze them, and hard enough when i knock em on one of my knuckles that if u were hit by one it would hurt,  not as durable as fired clay but good nonetheless

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)