Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
WHERE TO HIT DEER TO KILL WITH SLING just curious (Read 18274 times)
Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: WHERE TO HIT DEER TO KILL WITH SLING just curi
Reply #45 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 2:21pm

If I had to hunting a deer with a sling (keeping in mind I know nothing about hunting) this is what I would try.

Iīd get a chicken sized egg or a slightly bigger projectile and I would sling as hard as I could aiming for the neck.
Iīd go for the neck because I think that would be the most vulnerable spot for blunt force trauma. The neck is made from individual vertebrae, none of which are easy to break, but the soft joints between the bones are not too tough to harm. So a big rock traveling at terminal speed might dislodge at least one vertebrae. Maybe that could make some damage to a large mammal, at least leave it paralyzed.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 5:58pm

Rockman has an excellant point.  I would use a larger rock, tennis ball sized or slightly larger.  The neck is a small target, you would be pretty much a stunning or fatal hit or you would miss. 

I have hit deer with my truck, it broke legs and ribs, the deer was able to stagger a long way, I had to use a dog to find her and I still had to use a pistol to finish her off, she would thrash and flop and stagger away.  I found her about eight hours later, she would not have survived but she would have died very slowly.  She had punctured lungs, a ruptured liver, the paunch was ruptured, and I suspect there was a lot more that I couldn't recognize.  The bumper hit her in the front half, I had almost managed to stop, I was probably doing 30-35 mph at impact.  Bill

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #47 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 8:22pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNbwPVFkSc&feature=related

Some awesome video I found just now. Kangaroo vs. Atlatl........kangaroo looses.

If you threw a rock to one of those, unless you got a perfect shot at the neck, maybe it wonīt do much good. But with the atlatl, the hunter gets a nice, clean kill.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #48 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 8:25pm

maybe thats why they didnt have any slings, atlatls were enough for their uses

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 8:51am

Back to the kinetic energy discussion, any kind of projectile has an optimum velocity and weight for maximum kinetic energy.  For weapons whose energy is supplied by human muscle, that optimum point is dependent on the individual.  For more mechanical weapons, say cross bows on up to firearms, more general statements can be made.  I included crossbows, since many have mechanical cocking aids, so pretty much anyone who knows how can use the heaviest cross bows.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #50 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 9:02am

Morphy has it right Smiley

So many darn variables once you start going beyond the simplest cases, and usually in discussing these things no two people are on the same page as far as what is being held constant.

As far as I can see the key item is the energy, and where it goes. When a complex target like a flesh covered bone gets struck, the critical injury is probably the fracturing of a the bone, so one has to look at how much energy is available to do that once the projectile has interacted with the flesh outside it.

My feeling is that flesh is probably fairly good at carrying away energy, more or less harmlessly, from an impact (as waves - think ripples in a pond), and that the energy which gets carried away in that interaction goes pretty much as the square of the impact velocity. If that's so, a slow moving projectile has less of it's energy dissipated by the flesh covering than a fast moving one of the same size, and so has more energy to expend in the bone, possibly breaking it.

That would justify the idea that a slow moving heavy object does more damage than a a lighter one with the same kinetic energy on impact, but then if you start bringing in different physical size of the two projectiles you can tip the argument back the other way Cheesy and this says nothing about penetrating injuries etc. etc. etc......

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #51 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 10:58am

If I missed this in the discussion my bad, but how close you are to the deer would make a huge difference.   If I can get within 35 yards of a deer and get off a shot without spooking it and hit the deer in the neck with a large egg sized stone, it's going down.  I'm not saying I'd kill it outright, but it will be stunned hopefully long enough for me to dispatch it with a club or survival knife.  Of course there are a few givens here that might not necessarily happen.  Getting within 35 yards of a deer is easier said than done.  Deer are super alert and not spooking one even with Apache style would be most difficult, and finally managing a neck shot with a sling from 35 yards is difficult.  What I'm saying here is that I firmly believe that there's enough power in the first 35 or so yards of my sling projectile's path to bring down a deer, but the power involved isn't the only factor.  You'd have to be very good and very lucky to get such a shot off effectively.
    After 35 yards or so there's a big drop off in power and over fifty yards the stone looses a lot of its pizazz and sort of trails off, even if it's going to travel much farther.  Your best bet to get a deer with a primitive weapon is by far the bow and arrow, IMO.  It's easier to use, you don't have to wind up to shoot it, it's more accurate, and the projectile is just as dangerous throughout it's entire path.  I can't comment on the atlatl because as of yet I've never used one.  Hopefully that'll change someday soon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)