Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
WHERE TO HIT DEER TO KILL WITH SLING just curious (Read 18223 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
WHERE TO HIT DEER TO KILL WITH SLING just curious
Sep 21st, 2010 at 10:57pm

Hey, I was thinking the other day how slings have been used to hunt medium sized deer and I was wondering where on the deer you would have to hit to kill or injure it severely enough to get the kill with a spear or club, etc.  Also what kind of ammo would cause a kill in these areas, size and material.
  I would think anything bigger than a golf ball would kill a deer if you hit it in the head and likely the neck if it was more the size of a pool ball.  Also behind the shoulder near the kidneys may be enough of a shock to collapse a long or kill from shock to the internal organs? 

In short, what would be the vital areas on a deer to aim for with a sling?  What ammos would need to be used for these areas?

P.S. do not go hunting deer with a sling this season because of this post.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: WHERE TO HIT DEER TO KILL WITH SLING just curi
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:25pm

hmm idk but id say the spine or one of the legs or hind legs that'd knock it down if u hit it hard enough(maybe the head would be better)then go finish it of somehow with something maybe use something else other than a sling? me id use my cold steel kukri machete otta end its misery, but yeah a hard hit to one of its legs would work cant go far with only 3 legs, id think that anywhere because a sling is verrrry powerful, almost nothing can withstand the sling, i read about this guy who dropped a charging wild boar with the sling, wild boars might be tougher than deer soo u should be good

http://www.wilderness-survival-skills.com/hunting-sling.html ; idk who this is but he talks about some hunting with it

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:31pm

I'm not sure if this is the right answer or not, but I'd aim for the neck with a sling stone at least as large as an extra large chicken's egg. I would use a very heavy stone like basalt. Not only is the neck a good place to get a kill, but if you miss by just a bit you'll at least hit the deer somewhere.  If you miss a head shot you might just miss the deer entirely.  I'm talking a hypothetical emergency situation here.. hunting with a sling is illegal in New Jersey and probably most other states.

IP Logged

SlingKey
Descens

Shame? Pride? What're
those? (Lurker)

The NW Territories (U.S.)
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:39pm

If it was a zombie deer, I'd aim for the head. Same thing if it was a regular deer.  I just can't imagine a dear being stopped (more than momentarily) with a rock unless it was knocked silly or the rock was 10+ lbs.

Stop Lying

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:13am

Was it Jaegoor that mentioned killing a deer with a sling? I can't remember for sure... Someone mentioned it and said the stone completely wrecked the deer. If I remember correctly it wasn't a head shot and it was pretty close to an instant kill. I hope I'm not making this up lol...  Huh

A large stone the size of a large chicken egg or larger would have a tremendous amount of KE.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:34am

more than 3 newtons or 3000 kilonewtons or something like that enough energy to shatter a concrete block, an m16 and ak have a hard time doing that just put holes through.  that would be wayyyyyyyyyy more than enough to kill a deer let alone a wild boar, i estimate that that energy would run through any part of the animal and just stop it in its tracks because the energy would have a better time going through soft tissue like vital organs so that could be it, a huge shock to the organs or any body part and it drops, that could be a possibility

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 1:19am

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:18am

deer are very jumpy and cautious it would take a skilled hunter to take em down with a sling,  but its a lot of punch for a small animal u can say overkill but adequate,  i think im at a point where i can hit anything at 25yds more or less so a deer or a ram would be in trouble though i find it difficult to put together both power and accuracy at the same time,  but i have shattered a stone against a chain before and hit very small targets soo i think i rank as mediocre, idk about the best but its possible

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 8:06am

Jabames wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:34am:
more than 3 newtons or 3000 kilonewtons or something like that enough energy to shatter a concrete block, an m16 and ak have a hard time doing that just put holes through.  that would be wayyyyyyyyyy more than enough to kill a deer let alone a wild boar, i estimate that that energy would run through any part of the animal and just stop it in its tracks because the energy would have a better time going through soft tissue like vital organs so that could be it, a huge shock to the organs or any body part and it drops, that could be a possibility

Newtons are units of force not energy and 3000 kN is a million times bigger than 3 N; you obviously have no appreciation of the scale of the things you're talking about. Nor does a sling have anywhere near the energy to shatter a concrete block or anything like it. The energy comes from your arm so no whack from a slingstone is going to be harder than a hit from a heavy hammer or similar.  It may put a hole or dent in concrete but that's all.

A really good, or very lucky, slinger may kill a small deer but boars are particularly tough and aggressive animals. Slinging at one may just be the last stupid thing you'll ever do.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE sling at any animal larger than a fox. To do so would be inhumane and totally irresponsible. You have no guarantee of a clean kill. Unless the animal is vermin it's probably also illegal.

Please refrain from such sweeping statements as the one above unless you have at least some idea of what you're saying. It gives totally the wrong picture to anyone unfamiliar with slings and destroys your credibility with those that are.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 9:02am

head shot would be best. At the very least, it would render the animal unconscious.

Anywhere else and you're risking a wounded animal getting away from you.

Best bet would be a sling thrown bolas and aim for the legs.

Just be prepared to have to cut it's throat yourself.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:04pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 8:06am:
more than 3 newtons or 3000 kilonewtons or something like that enough energy to shatter a concrete block, an m16 and ak have a hard time doing that just put holes through.  that would be wayyyyyyyyyy more than enough to kill a deer let alone a wild boar, i estimate that that energy would run through any part of the animal and just stop it in its tracks because the energy would have a better time going through soft tissue like vital organs so that could be it, a huge shock to the organs or any body part and it drops, that could be a possibility

Newtons are units of force not energy and 3000 kN is a million times bigger than 3 N; you obviously have no appreciation of the scale of the things you're talking about. Nor does a sling have anywhere near the energy to shatter a concrete block or anything like it. The energy comes from your arm so no whack from a slingstone is going to be harder than a hit from a heavy hammer or similar.  It may put a hole or dent in concrete but that's all.

Put in perspective, 3 N is the force generated through dropping a 2/3 pound or so object. 3000kN is the force generated through accelerating a 1 ton object to about 5500 miles per hour over a second. That is somewhat closer to modern artillery than a sling.

But, this originally draws back to kinetic energy, which is Ek=mv2

According to Wikipedia, which is not the most accurate of sources, an AK-47 fires with 2010 joules, rounded to 2000 it becomes much more certain. So, lets see what it is going to take to get a sling up above this. Assume a 2 oz, we are looking at 60 grams, or .06 kg.

2000=.06v2
33,333=v2
182 m/s.
About 400 mph.

So, for a sling stone to have as much energy as a bullet out of this one particular assault rifle, it needs to be moving 400 mph. So no, its not going to shatter a concrete block that a bullet barely damages, its comparable energy if you are an amazing shot. If you are that good, and very accurate, then you could take down a deer as humanely as with a gun. The vast majority of us are not able to fire off a sling stone with anywhere near that level of energy however.

Concerning Newtons, that can only be calculated if we know how quickly the stone comes to a stop after impact, and how far it goes in doing so. Its going to be well over 3 newtons in most cases, projectile deceleration upon striking takes a fraction of a second. Not 1 million times that however.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:38pm

Knaight wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:04pm:

Newtons are units of force not energy and 3000 kN is a million times bigger than 3 N; you obviously have no appreciation of the scale of the things you're talking about. Nor does a sling have anywhere near the energy to shatter a concrete block or anything like it. The energy comes from your arm so no whack from a slingstone is going to be harder than a hit from a heavy hammer or similar.  It may put a hole or dent in concrete but that's all.

Put in perspective, 3 N is the force generated through dropping a 2/3 pound or so object. 3000kN is the force generated through accelerating a 1 ton object to about 5500 miles per hour over a second. That is somewhat closer to modern artillery than a sling.

But, this originally draws back to kinetic energy, which is Ek=mv2

According to Wikipedia, which is not the most accurate of sources, an AK-47 fires with 2010 joules, rounded to 2000 it becomes much more certain. So, lets see what it is going to take to get a sling up above this. Assume a 2 oz, we are looking at 60 grams, or .06 kg.

2000=.06v2
33,333=v2
182 m/s.
About 400 mph.

So, for a sling stone to have as much energy as a bullet out of this one particular assault rifle, it needs to be moving 400 mph. So no, its not going to shatter a concrete block that a bullet barely damages, its comparable energy if you are an amazing shot. If you are that good, and very accurate, then you could take down a deer as humanely as with a gun. The vast majority of us are not able to fire off a sling stone with anywhere near that level of energy however.

Concerning Newtons, that can only be calculated if we know how quickly the stone comes to a stop after impact, and how far it goes in doing so. Its going to be well over 3 newtons in most cases, projectile deceleration upon striking takes a fraction of a second. Not 1 million times that however.

Just in case you're referring to cinder blocks, a sling can in fact penetrate the first side. Ive done it a couple times, but I was using steel ammo.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 1:43pm

I can believe it penetrating one side of a cinder block as I have thrown at various items and they have quite a bit of force.  Another thing to remember would be the length of your sling.  A 24in. sling takes one revolution for me to get it up to speed.  A 36 in. sling takes 3+ rotations, so you would have trouble hunting with it unless you were out of the line of sight, a treestand might work, idk.  My 36 in. sling delivers a heck of a lot more power though than my 24in.

I would like to clarify further I am not saying that anyone should hunt a deer with a sling, I have just heard of the apache's doing it and have seen it in the movie "centurion" as well as read a post a while back by Jaegoor where he said he hunted medium sized deer with it I think, which isn't crazy seeing as it was used on people right?

A biconical lead gland can penetrate through the skin, as the romans had tools for extracting them as well as text describing the removal if I remember correctly, so I would think anything of that size hitting with enough force to penetrate would kill a medium sized deer.  I also throw a poolball sized stone at a oil drum with my 36in. sling and it leaves a dent in the drum about half the diameter of the stone deep, I can only imagine the dent that would put into a torso.  This is why I put this on here as I don't think it has really been discussed before as it is mentioned all the time how apache's hunted up to medium sized deer with slings but never has it gone into detail.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:32pm

A really good, or very lucky, slinger may kill a small deer but boars are particularly tough and aggressive animals. Slinging at one may just be the last stupid thing you'll ever do.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE sling at any animal larger than a fox. To do so would be inhumane and totally irresponsible. You have no guarantee of a clean kill. Unless the animal is vermin it's probably also illegal.

Please refrain from such sweeping statements as the one above unless you have at least some idea of what you're saying. It gives totally the wrong picture to anyone unfamiliar with slings and destroys your credibility with those that are.

as an experienced sling hunter i couldn't agree more with Aussie. i'm a big guy (5'10'', 235lbs) with a strong arm and can sling a stone harder than most. i've hit jack rabbits square in the side at 20 paces and seen them take off like nothing happened. i've also seen a small whitetail deer shot clean through the chest cavity with a 30-06cal. and still run 11 miles before collapsing. do not overestimate the power of a sling or underestimate the toughness of deer, especially the varieties found here in north america. as someone who works regularly with deer skulls i can tell you that no slinger on earth is going to be able to shatter one. these are animals that regularly butt heads with one another during the rutting season with more force than you could ever hope to generate. a shot to a leg might break a bone, but there are hundreds of accounts of deer running for miles on end with only three good legs. my advice? stick to small game. if you're after deer, bring the bow or the atlatl.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 5:12pm

wait i think i got it wrong its 3.62 KN, 3620 Newtons

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)