Send Topic Print
Bones ? (Read 2221 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Bones ?
Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:48pm

Well I am looking forward to harvesting my first white tail deer this year and I was planing on saving the shoulder blade for a saw and I also wanted to make some arrowheads . So I was wondering what is the best bones for making arrowheads and also what other bone tools could you make?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Bones ?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:18pm

Shoulder blades can be used for lots of things, saws and hoes come to mind, leg bones are usually what is used for points.  The hooves can be used as rattles or tip overlays for a bow if the deer is large enough.  The toes can also be used as points or split and made into fishhooks.  Parts of the vertabra make excellant pressure flakers or notchers.  You can make needles from the leg bones.  Bill

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:38pm

Also, paleoarts maked knife blades out of bone, I don't remember if he uses deer or cow, but I don't think it maters so long as you have a bit of flat bone, longbones are usually best for that.
You can make the nose bones into fish hooks with minimal shaping.  I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks very nifty, almost (dare I say it) easy

http://www.primitiveways.com/nasal%20bone%20hook.html

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 1:12pm

Some people (not me) make turkey call strikers from deer antlers.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 1:54pm

flutes, combs, sewing needles, fish hooks, points, rattles, blades, pressure flakers, wedges, clothes pins, beads, buttons, knife handles, sickles, etc.........! the list is endless.  Wink

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:42pm

I'm kind of on the fence with bone items... they are very nice looking and effective in their purposes but there is a certain creepy factor about it... when I think of making things like flutes I get flashbacks of the time I watched " The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the interior decorating of "The Cannibal Family" haha.  But when you look past that it is really cool and not unnatural or weird at all.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:36pm

You can make a really nice turkey call out of a large bird wing bone.  Ironically, turkey wing bones work well, I also made one out of a turkey vulture wing bone that I found once.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)