Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practical Nunchuck techniques (Read 4513 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Practical Nunchuck techniques
Aug 30th, 2010 at 7:21pm

Contrary to popular belives the nunchaku was at one time a a very effective weapon however hollywood has ruined most peoples idea of how they were used . Just becuse they can be flashy doesn't mean they have to (swords can be twirled around yet they are still effective weapons). I was currious if there were any kobudo experts that new some practical techniques for using nunchucks.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Practical Nunchuck techniques
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 7:44pm

parry. poke with free ends, poke(choke) with chain end, use as giant nut cracker and crush, flail .. all are pretty effective and non flashy
I'm no expert ... just smacked myself enough to know ...no flash for me.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:48pm

the only truly practical use is what they were origanally intended for...threshing wheat! Grin

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:03pm

I once thumbed through a book of authentic Okinawan nunchaku techniques.  Most all were relatively simple.  Block, strike.  No fancy twirling, no acrobatic dance moves... Just simple techniques along the same line as Okinawan karate.

Fumio Demura was the author, as I recall.

The problem with nunchaku is that they are illegal to carry almost anywhere in the US.  So, you can train with them and spend many hours mastering the technique... But you can't reasonably use them for a self-defense weapon.
You'd do much better to buy a good, solid cane if you live in one of the states where concealed carry of a firearm is not an option.

If you do live in a concealed-carry state....  Glock.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:32pm

Bikewer wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
I once thumbed through a book of authentic Okinawan nunchaku techniques.  Most all were relatively simple.  Block, strike.  No fancy twirling, no acrobatic dance moves... Just simple techniques along the same line as Okinawan karate.

Fumio Demura was the author, as I recall.

The problem with nunchaku is that they are illegal to carry almost anywhere in the US.  So, you can train with them and spend many hours mastering the technique... But you can't reasonably use them for a self-defense weapon.
You'd do much better to buy a good, solid cane if you live in one of the states where concealed carry of a firearm is not an option.

If you do live in a concealed-carry state....  Glock.

newspaper nunchucks hurt like heck, and a few quick moves to where it hurts the most will stop anyone from trying to take your coffee

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 11:01pm

Bikewer wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
I once thumbed through a book ... Fumio Demura was the author, as I recall.
....  Glock.

NUNCHAKU Karate Weapon of Self-Defence
by Fumio Demura
OHARA PUBLICATIONS INC. 1971
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 78-183341
3rd & 4th Printing 1973

Real plain-jane effective stuff.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 8:46am

Thanks, Steven.  Still in print, I see.   As I recall, Demura covered the entire group of Okinawan "Ko-Budo" or "ancient weapons".   
Bo, kama, sai....

All these were derived from agricultural tools as the occupying Japanese forbade weapon possession. 
The classic story is that these weapons were intended to allow the Okinawan peasants to go up against armored Samurai.
However, apparently this rarely if ever happened.... They were used primarily to fight each other.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:15pm

Bikewer wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 8:46am:
Thanks, Steven.  Still in print, I see.   ...

Don't know about the still in print .... my info was from a 30 yr old copy.
Google preview to the rescue .... http://books.google.com/books?id=BMbYnvhhkGEC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=Library+of+Congr...

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 4:35pm

Matthew 5:9

Thom

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 7:02pm

HurlinThom wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 4:35pm:
Matthew 5:9

Thom
Matthew 10:34-39 and Luke 12:49-53 those are the end of my proof-texting on this subject.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)