? on atlatl darts (Read 5524 times)
slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
? on atlatl darts
Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Ok i was looking at lowes today and saw drive way markers that are 6ft long and of fiber glass and a little more flexable as a bass fishing rod it even has a tapered point on it that would fit a glue on arrow head glue on some feathers and u have a dart [this brings up the ? do put any spin on the feathers or not when u glue them on] So i want to know if this would work for an atlatl dart or not if there is any one who has tried it or who uses an atlatl who may have some good in put if this would work i will be making one very soon Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: ? on atlatl darts
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:08pm

Rat, those will work great. i know of several people who have used them for darts. i, myself, have used them for foreshafts on my shark darts. no, you don't have to put a spin on the fletchings if you don't want to.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:15pm

thanks paleoarts now i just need to go make a thower and u said u dont have to put a spin on the fletchings but is it better to and if so is it better to have right or left hand spin for a right hand thrower

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Rat, i've thrown with both types of darts (spin and no spin) and haven't been able to tell the difference. it doesn't matter if you use right or left wing feathers, just as long as you use the same on any single dart.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:48pm

Good to know thanks agian paleoarts

Evan Werner  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:50pm

Well, I don't know a lot about atlatl's but generally something with a rifle spin will go farther than without.  For example a biconical clay shot, black powder guns without spiral rifling in the barrel do not go as far as with it, but this may not be much of a difference with atlatl darts, idk, but too much spin is also bad as the feathers will drag and slow the arrow down a bit.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:12pm

you are right about the spin, Luke, but with the atlatl the spur turning out of the knock, along with the one way flex of the dart, will impart more than enough to keep it going straight. Native Australians have been throwing fletchless darts for over 40,000 years to great effect. i use a straight fletch on mine and i'm still able to hit what i aim at (most of the time Wink ).

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 6:24pm

So u dont need the fletching at all? Dose it make a big diffrents if there is or is not any fletching?

Thank for taking the time to share or info paleoarts

Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:52pm

with very carefully balanced and tuned darts of sufficient length, you don't need fletching, but for most of us who throw standard sized darts it's pretty much a given. they don't have to be big or fancy, but you want something to help stabilize the shaft in flight.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 6:25pm

fletching it is  Grin

Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 2:34pm

do you think that a small streamer wipped to the back of the dart would work to stabilize it in flight?
maybe something like cotton cloth?

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 3:42pm

it might, Dog, but i'm not sure. anything that trailed behind the dart i would worry about getting fouled with the atlatl itself during the initial cast. a simple two feather fletch crudely tied on will work just fine. in fact, this was how the ancient Basketmakers did it and they hunted some pretty big prey to great success, so...  Wink

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 1:53pm

I put two 8 inch red duct tape fletchings on a six foot, half inch dowel dart. It flys straight enough, but tail down for a while.  Sad I don't think it's the fletchings. Maybe too stiff?

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:04pm

yeah, Walter, tail down is a clear indication of too rigid a spine. it's the flex of the dart that allows the front and back ends to stay in line and the dart to fly straight. if you are using some kind of cane or bamboo, try fitting a longer foreshaft. this increases the length of your dart and will add to the overall flex. if you are using solid wood darts, you can try adding weight to the front, or tapering the back 2/3. either should increase flex. test your spine by putting one end on a bathroom scale and pressing down on the other. whatever the weight tops out at is your spine weight. darts range anywhere from 4 to about 13 lbs with 7-8 being the norm for darts of around 6' in length. as a general rule, the longer the dart, the more spine you can get away with up to a point.

Chris

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Thanks Chris Smiley

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)