Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Is a Staff Sling a viable hunting weapon. (Read 11866 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Re: Is a Staff Sling a viable hunting weapon.
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 6:29pm

I made a staff sling with about a 20 inch. sling and a 4-5 foot pole.  I haven't used it in a bit, but when I was using it I found that I could throw easily as far and on a good throw farther than with a hand sling, this is also with a heavier rock than thrown from a hand sling.  The trick with all overhand throws is to twist your body around so that you are looking behind you then untwist and swing in one motion, you will find that if you do this with apache using a hand sling it will go farther than a fig8 or sidearm and just as far as a overhead or underhand throw.  If you do this with a staff sling it will impart way more force than if you just swing it.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 8:24pm

It makes a great weopon for small or larger game.  Make the sling bigger and load it with 5 - 10 decent sized rocks.  I like large rocks from gravel roads-- the type with lots of angles that you normally wouldn't use on a regular sling.  The angles and flat surfaces of the rocks fit together well in the pouch.  

It has the pattern 0f a 410 buckshot, and does not have the ridiculous spread of a regular sling with more than 1 stone.

I use a softer pouch made of leather.  about 7 or 8 inches long and about 2 -3 inches wide.

Using a standard overhand throw it makes no extra movement than byzantine throw or an atlatl.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 10:36pm

would the staff sling scare off game? it looks like it would since you have quite a large and long stick flailing about.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Centrifugal Sin

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 11:08pm

Staff slings throw so-oh damn far. I've thought of putting larger sinkers on the corners of a large fishnet and trying my luck with duck or grouse.

A staff sling filled with pebbles would be pretty effective though, and throwing from a far and high, mortar-like angle would certainly help avoiding a scare with the crack of the pouch and string.

If you were hunting waterfowl, scatter a pond with pieces of bread or other bait, get behind a thicket, calibrate the shot, and wait for the flock to land in your trap. Certainly a hail of pea gravel would be able to do away with two or more birds.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #19 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:05am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:34pm:
Staff slings are mainly used for throwing larger and more spherical ammo.  
A staff sling would be great for hurling grenades, for example.
Never understood why modern armies don't use them.
Silent, 100-200 plus yard range, quick and easy to make on the spot. Accurate.
Also cheap.

I'm thinking it would have to do with the deadly potential for the slinger to drop the grenade from the pouch prior to the throw -- something we've all done hundreds of times with inert objects that weren't threatening to blow us to smithereens!  Shocked

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #20 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:36am

If I was going to throw gravel I would use a hand or a gourd sling, I hear gourd slings are good but have never made one due to a lack of gourds in my area...  Staff slings are mainly to hurl large projectiles for maximum damage.  For this reason they were popular in warfare and siege defense as you could throw a heavier projectile that would do more damage to an armored opponent farther and easier with a staff sling than a hand sling.  Unless you are hunting large deer or even a moose you wouldn't want one for it I don't think and it would be silly to hunt though animals with one anyway.  To get the full effectiveness of a staff sling you would have to throw something that would practically obliterate any small game.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #21 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:51pm

LukeWebb wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:36am:
 If I was going to throw gravel I would use a hand or a gourd sling, I hear gourd slings are good but have never made one due to a lack of gourds in my area...  Staff slings are mainly to hurl large projectiles for maximum damage.  For this reason they were popular in warfare and siege defense as you could throw a heavier projectile that would do more damage to an armored opponent farther and easier with a staff sling than a hand sling.  Unless you are hunting large deer or even a moose you wouldn't want one for it I don't think and it would be silly to hunt though animals with one anyway.  To get the full effectiveness of a staff sling you would have to throw something that would practically obliterate any small game.

I know a hand sling isn't too good for gravel, but a staff sling with a leather pouch 2 -3 time larger than a regular pouch has a pattern like a 410 buckshot.  If you haven't tried it, trust me you have to.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #22 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:56pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:05am:
[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1282312198/0#13 date=1282498453]

I'm thinking it would have to do with the deadly potential for the slinger to drop the grenade from the pouch prior to the throw -- something we've all done hundreds of times with inert objects that weren't threatening to blow us to smithereens!  Shocked

I don't think they trust soldiers with anything you can't sight and press a button.  It's sad but aside from push buttons and joysticks modern people have very bad hand eye coordination.

I also wonder how many people killed themselves or allies with bad throws or dropped grenades.  People shake enough aiming a rifle when going for their first kill.  I can only imagine it doubles with a live bomb.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:56am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:34pm:
RussInCA wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:04am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:55am:
Far more useful for huntig larger game than a hand sling - unless you're using lead glandes, which give penetration wounds.

I don't understand that - why wouldn't the staff sling be more useful when there are penetration wounds involved?

Because staff slings don't impart the same kind of spin. So aren't generally used with glande shaped missiles.
The glande shape (pointy ovoid) has massive spin imparted to it by a hand sling and actually drills it's way into a target. The spin also uses the gyroscopic effect and self stabilises the glande in flight.

Staff slings are mainly used for throwing larger and more spherical ammo.  
A staff sling would be great for hurling grenades, for example.
Never understood why modern armies don't use them.
Silent, 100-200 plus yard range, quick and easy to make on the spot. Accurate.
Also cheap.

I know this is a very old topic and quote CA. Sure the regular staff sling only imparts a backspin but the hoopak staff sling gives a rifle spin to a glande. I am sure you know this as you are one of the first ones who tried the Hoopak. It has really revived my interest in staff slings. It seems to me it has quite good potential for hunting. It is not hard to land good sized stones to 80 yards consistently in a pretty straight line and it gives them a perfect overhead rifle spin. Very underrated tool

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 12:32pm

Die erste Frage dabei ist, was du jagen willst.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:58pm

I always get a little sad reading these old posts... so many friends who have forgotten us...

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 5:28am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:59am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:19pm

I'm thinking the staff sling started off as a forked stick used to throw larger stones a lot further than you could by hand.  Weave some branched through the fork and now you can throw a handful of rocks.

Although, technically, that isn't a sling.  It's closer to an atlatl, just for rocks.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 8:39am

I could see the staff sling being a passable hunting weapon. If you can get a sling throw off without scaring game there’s no reason why a staff sling wouldn’t work.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 8:45am

given that you can throw really straight really easily with a staff sling and also use a large pouch loaded with pebbles.
It would be ideal for hunting water fowl as they took off from a pond or lake.
Kind of like the stone age ballistics version of a punt gun Smiley

So yeah, good hunting tool.

And yep you can get good spin from a hoopack style staff sling. But you just can't get the same distance as you can with a hand sling.

mainly down to the actual technique used for a staff sling and also the rigidity of the staff itself.

You just can't tranefer the same kind of energy from your body to the sling on a staff as you can with a hand sling.

But for waterfowl hunting - would be ideal.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick)