Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Is a Staff Sling a viable hunting weapon. (Read 12001 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Is a Staff Sling a viable hunting weapon.
Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:49am

As the title says can a staff sling be used for hunting? I know it takes little movement to use one, very little matierals to make one and you can also use it as a walking stick or use it to dispatch game.

Ideas?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Is a Staff Sling a viable hunting weapon.
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:30am

I agree completely.   The only place a staff sling wouldn't be a good hunting weapon is in the forest, on the skinny trails.  In an open field a staff sling could be every bit as good a hunting weapon as a hand sling, IMO.  In that a staff sling fires off heavier projectiles with ease, you could use one to shoot a big pile of gravel at a flock of birds, like quail, for a shot gun effect.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:37am

It probably was used as a hunting weapon at one time, it may have predated the hand sling.  Bill

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:55am

it wouldn't have predated the hand sling - but yep definitely a useful hunting weapon.

Particularly as you can hurl large rocks in a very straight line very easily with a staff sling.
Far more useful for huntig larger game than a hand sling - unless you're using lead glandes, which give penetration wounds.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RussInCA
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:04am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:55am:
Far more useful for huntig larger game than a hand sling - unless you're using lead glandes, which give penetration wounds.

I don't understand that - why wouldn't the staff sling be more useful when there are penetration wounds involved?

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:12am

Any ideas as to the "normal" load and velocity of a staff sling projectile?  I was watching some youtube vids of a guy that looked like he was heaving a rock that weighed maybe 2 or 3 pounds.  It was about 6 inches across and it went at least 100 yards.  I'm guessing 2 lbs, maybe 90-100 mph.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 1:26am

well I wouldn't say it would be great as it is bulky and would easily scare game the way you have to hold it up and swing it... I think it would also be hard to hit small animals with it.  You could probably even have a shot at dropping  a moose, especially if there were a few of you, but I could see that being a problem if you only wound him and mr. moose gets angry.  I think it was mainly used though for castle defense and warfare because it could hurl a larger rock long distances, not sure it would have been used much for hunting or closer range combat.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:36pm

What about a smaller 1 hand sling staff were the staff is say 3ft our less with an 18in or so sling on it this may make a better hunting weapon then a full size sling staff.

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 2:11pm

me2 wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:12am:
Any ideas as to the "normal" load and velocity of a staff sling projectile?  I was watching some youtube vids of a guy that looked like he was heaving a rock that weighed maybe 2 or 3 pounds.  It was about 6 inches across and it went at least 100 yards.  I'm guessing 2 lbs, maybe 90-100 mph.  

I guess the load capacity would depend on factors like the length of the sling, staff, strength of the cord, etc..  I know that when I was experimenting with staff slings I could toss fist sized rocks ninety yards with ease.  It would be a good weapon for bringing down large game, I imagine.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 9:28pm

Hmm true, but I doubt that you would find the same accuracy with a one handed staff sling as it would be hard to keep it stable so that it doesn't wobble a little when you throw...I have never made one of those though.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 2:14am

I denkes it is possible. Something speaks for it.
A Staffsling is easier in the use.
I can measure them and shoot thus exact distances.
And in the fight it also functions

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 12:02pm

slingingrat wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:36pm:
What about a smaller 1 hand sling staff were the staff is say 3ft our less with an 18in or so sling on it this may make a better hunting weapon then a full size sling staff.

I would be worried about the power of such a sling.  Has anyone made mini-staff slings?  My first staff sling had a relatively short staff, maybe 5', but with a very long sling on it.  It didn't shoot all that far, maybe 90 yards at the most, but it could hurl huge projectiles that distance with almost no effort.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:20pm

I have some experiences with Staff Slings.
One can shoot very exactly.
However, a normal Sling further shoots.
But with less weight.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:34pm

RussInCA wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:04am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:55am:

I don't understand that - why wouldn't the staff sling be more useful when there are penetration wounds involved?

Because staff slings don't impart the same kind of spin. So aren't generally used with glande shaped missiles.
The glande shape (pointy ovoid) has massive spin imparted to it by a hand sling and actually drills it's way into a target. The spin also uses the gyroscopic effect and self stabilises the glande in flight.

Staff slings are mainly used for throwing larger and more spherical ammo.  
A staff sling would be great for hurling grenades, for example.
Never understood why modern armies don't use them.
Silent, 100-200 plus yard range, quick and easy to make on the spot. Accurate.
Also cheap.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:07pm

I guess the loading procedure is an obstacle for an effective use of the staff sling as a hunting weapon in most situations. Too much movement for a single person to remain unnoticed by the prey.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)