squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Forum rules
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 4:43pm

ok

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 6:58am

to be honest , what with email accounts, toolbars, google and facebook etc

there is so much personal information available on any internet user, if you know where to look - that anything you inadvertently reveal on a forum like this, is pretty much going to be inconsequential.

And like mas said. if you don't want people to know something - do not tell them Smiley  

For the record the username you sign up with cannot be changed and all someone has to do is put their cursor on the pm option in your profile to see the original username.

If you like i can delete that account and create a new one as squirrelslinger.

I'm also quite happy to phone your parents (doesn't cost me anything) and set their minds at ease about slinging.org if you like. We have always tried to make sure this forum is suitable for slingers of ALL ages. And I've got no problem talking to anyone about it.

For the record that goes for any of our younger members in any country.
My phone deal gives me free international calls to 56 different countries and even to us and canadian cell phone numbers. For any other country it would need to be a landline number.
And as most us and canadian cell phone deals make you pay for incoming international calls - you're probably better of with a landline number anyway Smiley

You cold also get your parents to email me directly at: info@slinging.org,  if that's preferred. I'm happy to answer any questions they might have and - hopefully - to allay any issues or fears they might have about the forum and things like international/national sling exchanges.

It's probably not obvious but we do take care to ensure the forum is suitable and safe for everybody.
Well as safe as a forum extolling the virtues of the sling can be  Wink

Though like i said - this is the last place anybody will look if they're after personal info.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ninja-slinger
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 4:24pm

''Rules are for the the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.'' - Douglas Bader
I love that quote, but I still follow rules.  Don't you hate it when there's a rule that makes no sense, is useless?  Example: no electronic devices on the school bus.  It's not like they would hurt anybody, or distract us from learning! Angry  Nobody listens, of course. whistle   At the school my mom worked at, they wouldn't let you talk in the cafeteria!!  Your rules are sensible, though.  (sorry for the little rant)

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:09pm

I must say, C.A, they are cool with it. I showed them the forums, and they are fine with it, and they are like,
Dont put email, phone, address, etc.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:13pm

i know this is an old topic and i know that sadly, aussie passed away but what he said "The only reason for rules is to spell out what is reasonable to those who are, by nature, unreasonable." was awesome  Cheesy

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:29pm

Not a topic just an intro posting as Eudave ex patriot English man from east end of London ,lived in Ohio USA for 45 years .
started slinging about six months ago have gotten a teeny tiny bit better .have made 8 slings from 24 inches to 31 .the longer one works best for me. I am great full for the chance to join  .
I am looking for any advice i can find as in how to get further than 140  feet or in fact how to hit something at ...lets say 10 feet LOL

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:45pm

Welcome, Eudave;
    The answer to both your questions is practice.  If you're like most of us you'll find that getting further than 140 feet is easier than achieving accuracy.  Experiment to find your optimum sling length.  For some of the members and myself a folded sling length of half your height is ideal but not everyone agrees.  Form is the most important aspect.  You'll find lots of advice and videos here and on Youtube on proper form.  For accuracy, ammo of a consistent size and shape is important.
    Reading over this thread makes me sad.  There are many members who were regulars here that we hardly hear from anymore.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 7:39pm

Thanks Rat man
  i am trying different lengths. My favorite at the moment is 31 inches to the pouch. I am 67 inches. it is great fun to try and try .I sent ice balls about 60 feet into a basket ball post ,hit it three times ..never again though .i had a middle east guy passing and tried it for him self said he hadn't used one since he was a kid. an Indian guy (india) tried it said as a kid they worked the fields and had one man standing on a tall box in the middle ,his sole job was keeping birds of with his sling i like meeting new people like that  one last thing i am no chicken at 73 years old so thanks for the welcome

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 1:21pm

It's great that you're trying something new and challenging at seventy three.  I took up slinging in my early fifties. I'm sixty four now. Don't get discouraged with your accuracy.  It takes a very long time to get really accurate with a sling.  I generally come close to what ever I'm aiming at if I don't hit it outright.  I'll settle for that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)