Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Dissapearing Topics
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 6:46pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 4:28pm:
I'm surprised nobody took issue with the killing of cats I read in a topic a few months ago. I would have banned that person right away if I was a mod.

I don't actually recall that discusion but certainly the subject would cause a lot of emotion. Feral cats in the Australian bush kill lots of native aimals which are totally defenceless against predators. However killing someone's domestic pets is quite another matter.

Nevertheless, banning someone for a difference of opinion is something that I would be very wary of. Other than spam, the only posts I have ever deleted are those which were directly offensive to someone else on the site. Even then I PM'ed the poster and asking him to desist, pointing out that he would be banned if the behaviour continued.

We need to be aware that this forum is open to anyone. Other than our common interest in slinging it is almost inevitable that we will have a wide range of opininions of other subjects. So if you know your particular view on some controversial subject is likely to offend it may be tactful for you to avoid stating it too bluntly if at all.

I know that as moderators we can come across as heavy handed if we delete material. Also we are not always in complete agreement as to what should be deleted; it's always a line call to some degree. For example we decided some time ago now to not allow "2nd Amendment" discussion (read: nigh on open warare). By no means were all posts on this subject offensive but it was all too easy for it to degenerate into personal attacks. On certain subjects we just have to agree to disagree.

So if your particular toes have been trodden on it may hurt. You may have a legitimate grievance and we may have got it wrong to some degree. But I do ask you to allow that our motivation is to keep the site functioning as smoothly as possible.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:21pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 4:28pm:
I'm surprised nobody took issue with the killing of cats I read in a topic a few months ago.

Don't want to take this too far, but what about discussions like these http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1272926096/0 ? Whatever one may think about the war, the subject of the thread is killing people. It may be necessary sometimes, but it should be no reason to rejoice. Or to treat the killing of humans like a sports event.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:46pm

What Aussie says.

As for the post on the sniper.  it wasn't us who treated it as a sports event but some foul mouthed american blogger.
I'm proud the guy is in the british army, and any way you cut it - that was some incredible shooting.
I wasn't aware anyone had been offended, and even if they were - well as aussie said. we're all different. The trick is not getting offended by the opinions of people who don't think the way you do.

The world is too wide and people too varied for any kind of polarised stance to not offend someone.

The best way to deal with topics you dislike is simply to ignore them and concentrate on topics that don't wind you up.
There's romm on here for everyone, as long as we all respect the opinions of others.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:14am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:45am:
to my knowlege the only topic that isn't spam that's been removed recently is one posted by the user formerly known as techstuff.

One was removed fairly recently I believe to do with immigration - the only reason I remember it is that I probably set things on fire my self Wink. It just disappeared - poof!
Quote:
And no we're not going to start up committees and have stupid amounts of rules and tick lists before people dare post a thread or reply .

Couldn't agree more.
Quote:
There are changes coming to the forum in the future - but that's for another topic entirely.

Care to share?
Quote:
I for one don't believe that adding layers of rules and bureaucracy ever benefitted any culture, civilisation or web forum.  And i'm not about to start here.
Agree absolutely Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)