Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The sling for urban survial (Read 4112 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

The sling for urban survial
Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:17am

http://fliiby.com/file/34740/icpql9j1af.html

Here is a book I was reading about slinging although they highly overestimate accuracy it is still a good read. Toward the end of the book they mention using the sling for urban survival and it got me thinking how I would use use the sling an urban survival situation. I can hit a torso size target up to 15yds fairly easily and what I thought for using a sling was breaking up pieces of cinder blocks and brick and using a large pouched sling could easily take down a car form the flank. I by no means was planning on taking a only a sling into a war just currious about the topic after reading this book.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Re: The sling for urban survial
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:10am

i  bought this book somewhere in the mid 90's
but somewhere in the past i misplaced/lost it
i have a few PDF copies on CD's

it's a sling book ( thumbs up )
i'd buy it again if i saw it at a used book store /yard sale

knowledge, without experience, is just information&&

IP Logged

pfchilders
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 7:17pm

Chekc out this article, there's a table comparing the relative stopping power of a slung projectile with modern firearms.  Impressive if accurate!

http://journalofasianmartialarts.com/cms2/images/stories/sample_articles/Academi...

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:41am

Guys, I really hope we get away from all this urban survival stuff. A sling is not a viable self-defence weapon in a modern urban context. Despite fairly suspect claims about how deadly it can be it is not really all that easy to use. The sling itself is small and easy to carry but  ammunition is not. You can't merely bend down and pick up a stone most places. It is difficult to deploy quickly, you can't easily sling from behind any decent cover and accuracy is low. This sort of discussion sends the wrong message, making slingers out to be some sort of fringe element anarchists or similar. Today slinging is a sport or a recreational activity; lets keep it that way.

If you are unfortunate enough to genuinely need to carry a weapon for your personal defence then do it properly and legally. Get a licenced firearm and the proper training in all aspects of personal defence, most of which is about avoiding trouble not blazing away with guns slings or anything else. If you walk around with a sling and rocks in your pocket on a Saturday night you'll probably just get arrested for carrying an offensive weapon, doubly dumb as you likely wouldn't be able to use it effectively to defend yourself anyway.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 11:38am

It would be a poor choice as a survival weapon, period.  It takes lots of practice to master.  It cannot be carried around at the ready easily.  It will take resources that can be used for other more effective tools or weapons.  (The strings would be better used for snares, bowstrings, nets, or lashings)  It takes a fairly open area to use.  It takes specialized skills to make the raw materials to make the sling.  How well do you make cordage?  What plants are in your area tha can be used?  Those are some of the problems.  If you knew you were going to get lost, I hope you would carry more than a ball of twine and a piece of leather. 

That being said, I enjoy using my sling, there is the possibility I might try hunting with it and it is a skill that most outdoors types should at least be familiar with.

Bear in mind that a lot of "Urban Survival" books are written by someone who wants your money.  Remember Y2K?  If they had really thought civilzation was going to crash, they wouldn't have taken credit cards.  Bill

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:41am:
Guys, I really hope we get away from all this urban survival stuff. A sling is not a viable self-defence weapon in a modern urban context. Despite fairly suspect claims about how deadly it can be it is not really all that easy to use. The sling itself is small and easy to carry but  ammunition is not. You can't merely bend down and pick up a stone most places. It is difficult to deploy quickly, you can't easily sling from behind any decent cover and accuracy is low. This sort of discussion sends the wrong message, making slingers out to be some sort of fringe element anarchists or similar. Today slinging is a sport or a recreational activity; lets keep it that way.

If you are unfortunate enough to genuinely need to carry a weapon for your personal defence then do it properly and legally. Get a licenced firearm and the proper training in all aspects of personal defence, most of which is about avoiding trouble not blazing away with guns slings or anything else. If you walk around with a sling and rocks in your pocket on a Saturday night you'll probably just get arrested for carrying an offensive weapon, doubly dumb as you likely wouldn't be able to use it effectively to defend yourself anyway.

1. I agree with both you and Bill ,I was just curious on the topic because I had read it the book not because I was going to sell all my weapons and be a Rambo with a sling (as you can read at the end of my first post)

2. The closest "urban" area is 10mi away from my house so the likelyhood of me being in an urban scenario is pretty much none.

I appolgize if I made you think otherwise and thank you for your input

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 2:36pm

This sort of discussion sends the wrong message, making slingers out to be some sort of fringe element anarchists or similar. Today slinging is a sport or a recreational activity; lets keep it that way.

Couldn't agree more.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:00pm

Fundibularius wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 2:36pm:
This sort of discussion sends the wrong message, making slingers out to be some sort of fringe element anarchists or similar. Today slinging is a sport or a recreational activity; lets keep it that way.

Couldn't agree more.

This is exactly my opinion, too. 
timann

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:27pm

I prefer running for urban survival  Tongue

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:24pm

David Morningstar wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:27pm:
I prefer running for urban survival  Tongue

Lol

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:44pm

Lol best bit about urban survival is you dont have to run, just grab a car! Tongue Wink

Nemo

IP Logged

John

Endangered Species!

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:06am

nemo wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:44pm:
Lol best bit about urban survival is you dont have to run, just grab a car! Tongue Wink

Nemo

If I catch you trying to grab MY car you better run  Wink

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:26am

i'm not even remotely surprised at how off track we've gotten  Smiley i'll just hope that being in a crowded town the people all around me aren't being shot to shreds our are the bad guys

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 2:07am

i'd have to go with aussie on that.not a defense weapon anymore. in a survival aspect if you're good with it would be a good hunting weapon. very quiet and effective. the lack of noise means that you wouldn't be heard by anyone that you didn't want to hear you. the term "urban" survival is a bit of a contradiction, imho. it seems that in a truly dire situation being in an urban area would be a bad idea. too many others around that would seek to do harm. in that situation i think you'd be better off with the "disappear" philosophy. make for the hills.  i don't think the idea of that type of scenario coming to pass is such a far fetched idea though. lots of strange things happening in the world today, and history has shown to produce those situations more often than we'd like to think.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 2:25am

a sling is useful or urban survival, it helps pass time Smiley heck, i'm surviving in an urban scenario everyday.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)