Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kijiji > Bear takedown recurve (Read 9184 times)
ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Kijiji > Bear takedown recurve
Jul 31st, 2010 at 8:13am

happy happy joy joy

saw this on Kijiji thursday for $40
i was laying awake thursday night hoping no one else would notice this
when i got to the guys house, i took off the string, pulled out the arms and said, " i'll take it "
didn't even think about haggling about the $40

metal riser with fiberglass arms

the arms just slide in the slots

gonna try and make my own arrows ( copper tubing for arrowheads ? )
went to Canadian Tire to pick up some duct tape, for fletching
and i may get a 5 ft length of PVC to try as a PVC bow

going back at 9 am, this guy is having a garage/yard sale this morning
i looked in his garage and he has 30+ years of garage sale gold

he has an old leather rifle scabbard, he's asking $15 ( sling pouch material )

knowledge, without experience, is just information&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Re: Kijiji > Bear takedown recurve
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:18am

Nice, if you have a craft store nearby you could get suitable feathers for fletchings there, I go to Micheals, they aren't the best but they work, just make sure they are big and the feathers are stiff not floppy.  Copper tubing is great for arrowheads, steel tubing is better though if you can find it.  Also try to find a hardware store where they have a big load of dowels, as very few dowels are straight, and they MUST be straight to work worth a darn for an arrow.  You may go through 20-40 dowels before you find one straight enough, but remember you won't need a whole big long dowel to be straight, just a piece long enough to make your arrow out of.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:21am

$15

i wonder how many sling pouches i can get from this

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:21am

I am not an archer, but I recall having read somewhere that dowels can be dangerous for arrow shafts, because they are too prone to break on release.

I think it would be a shame to cut those leather items up for pouches...

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:29am

Quote:
I am not an archer, but I recall having read somewhere that dowels can be dangerous for arrow shafts, because they are too prone to break on release.

I think it would be a shame to cut those leather items up for pouches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydnt2lzVxv8&feature=PlayList&p=51226E3EDB922EBB&p...

This video explains what you are talking about KS.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:30am

LukeWebb wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:18am:
 Nice, if you have a craft store nearby you could get suitable feathers for fletchings there, I go to Micheals, they aren't the best but they work, just make sure they are big and the feathers are stiff not floppy.  

we have a lot of geese down near the Detroit river and there's always feathers around

LukeWebb wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:18am:
Copper tubing is great for arrowheads, steel tubing is better though if you can find it.  Also try to find a hardware store where they have a big load of dowels, as very few dowels are straight, and they MUST be straight to work worth a darn for an arrow.  You may go through 20-40 dowels before you find one straight enough, but remember you won't need a whole big long dowel to be straight, just a piece long enough to make your arrow out of.

gonna head over to Canadian Tire and do the " roll'm on the floor " trick
i'll grab 2-4 to start
the cheapest i've seen for arrows is $16.99 ( plus tax ) for 3 target arrows

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 11:42am

Hi, ishi;
   We use the General Discussion section for slinging topics.  This is a better place for your thread.  I also agree that the sheath and pouch are rather nice looking.  I don't know if I'd cut them up for slings.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 1:05pm

Don't cut up the gun scabbard!  It wouldn't be half as cool as a sling!  You don't know where it came from, look up the background, see who made it and how old it is.  Maybe it's just the collector in me talking, but don't cut that up!  It would be a shame, get some scrap leather for slings.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 2:49pm

DO NOT CUT THAT UP!!!  That is wayyyyyyyyy too beautiful!  I think you could take that to a sportsmans show or sell it somewhere else (on here maybe?) for more than 15$, find out what gun it was for and how old it is, it could be valuable with that level of craftsmanship.
 The leather also looks to thick and stiff for a sling pouch.  What is the smaller case for?  I would almost say it is a quiver for arrows? but I would have to look closer, don't know what else you would hold in it.  It looks almost like its a setup for horseback or something, that's just my first guess as I don't know anything about guns.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 2:57pm

If you just want to try the bow out...  Somewhere printed on it should be the draw weight, usually expressed as something like 45# , or maybe 45@28  indicating it pulls 45 pounds at a 28" (standard" draw).
Go over to Walmart or Sports authority or whatever and buy a half-dozen of their cheap aluminum arrows.  They are only a few bucks apiece and are, if not great, at least adequate.
You'll be able to use the draw-weight of your bow to get the correct "spine", or stiffness.    If the spine is off, you'll shoot either to the left or right.

Making your own arrows is great fun, but don't expect great results unless you're willing to put in some time and effort.   
I have used hardware-store dowels, when they were made of Ramin wood.  Decent... But you have to sort through them and make sure you're getting grain that goes the length of the shaft.
Of a dozen I made.... Some shot here, some shot there...  I had about 3 that would go where I wanted them to.

There are all sorts of good "primitive" archery sites on the web with directions for making your own arrows.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 6:41pm

Doesn't surprise me at all that you would prefer that bow over a bear takedown. A Warf or most any metal handled riser bow will many times shoot better then even a high priced custom wood risered bow for a fraction of the price. They may not be as fancy but they get the job done. Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 9:27pm

I hav used the wooden dowels for arrows.  The best are ash, then ramen, then poplar, then oak.  For bows that are marked 45#@28' OR LESS, you want 5/16" or 6.5mm.  Ramen or oak, 1/4" or 6mm is OK.  Steel is better than copper, copper will react to any glue you use and eventually come off.

The bow looks like either a 76'er, a Minute Man or a Patriot.  Which model depends on the color of the limb and riser and whether the limbs are solid glass or glass/wood laminates.  I have had several but usually give them to kids, you would have to seriously abuse that bow to tear it up.

I also vote to not cut up the rifle scabbard.  If you are looking for some leather, get the tounge from an old worn out pair of boots.  Bill

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 4:34am

I agree Bill, nothing wrong with dowels so long as you are particular in your choosing. Better still IMO is board shafts. Fun project too.

IP Logged

ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:18am

ok, i'll admit i bit off more than i could chew with the scabbard
i didn't realize just HOW THICK this leather would be

BAD NEWS, i've already cut into the smaller piece
the smaller piece goes over the longer piece to cover the rifle butt

GOOD NEWS, i'm not going to cut the rifle scabbard itself
the butt cover will give me enough THICK leather to experiment with

i have a couple pieces in water to see if they will soften up

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:17pm

Ishi...use a finishing sander to get whatever thickness you want. Not sure if it will be decent even if you get it thin, but it's worth a shot.  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2010 at 6:39pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)