Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New slinger (Read 3674 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

New slinger
Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:27am

Well my neighbor's son is about 12 years old and he's been watching me sling in the back yard through the chain link fence the last couple afternoons. (We have a large vacant field directly behind our fence which gives us a little breathing room to sling.) This evening he wanted to know if he could come over and sling. I said "Do you know how?" And he responded "Yea, you just swing it around a few times." Well from those humble beginning's a new slinger is born.  I taught him the figure-8 style because it is what I use and I feel like an overhand throw is slightly safer then swinging it around helicopter style.

I made him ask his parents but part of me wonders if it's such a good idea at all. I had one when I was his age but these are dangerous weapons.  I plan on going over to his house tomorrow and make sure they understand what a sling is and how dangerous they can be if used improperly.

What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: New slinger
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:32am

I think just let the kid sling.

And don't go scaring his parents. You haven't handed him a loaded 45 with the safety off - despite what mrboss says Wink

If you were teaching him how to throw darts or a javelin or a frisbee (modern day chackram) nobody would bat an eyelid.

As long as you drill the basic safety precautions into him, can't see any problem.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:41am

I think it's wonderful that a youngster has been inspired to take up the sport by your good example. Sure slings CAN be dangerous if misused but so are guns, knives, cars and even bikes and roller skates if misused. How much better to learn not only the skill of slinging but also its correct and responsible use. So if this kid's parents are in favour and he's a good kid go for it. With tennis balls slinging is no more dangerous than many sports kids routinely play anyway.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 7:12am

I would suggest you not give him one at all.  Just have him come over and sling with you, do that for a while until he gets good at it and you can tell he is not a mischievious kid then teach him to make one him himself.  I taught a kid how to do it this summer who looked to be around 12 after he saw me slinging, he wanted me to make him one but I encouraged him to make his own and he was very proud when he brought me the sling he made to show me it.  You will have much more fun with slinging if you make your own and try them out and make all the different designs, improve on them, etc. and it will make you less responsible as you are not handing out potentially lethal weapons to pre-teens.  But you could probably just give him one too.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:00am

I say give the boy the sling. As long as you just make sure to drill it into his head that with the right ammo the thing can be very dangerous.

As Aussie said with tennis balls the thing is no more dangerous then most sports.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

ishi

Slinging Rocks!

Windsor Ontario
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:33am

maybe try to get the father interested in slinging

then give a sling to the father

and if the father wants to give the sling to the boy . . . .

the CYA voice inside me says don't " instruct " the kid without the father present
with the father present, show them on their property after they've invited you onto their property
i wouldn't take chances with adolescents and this sue-happy / blame others society

if the kid breaks a window and the police ask, "where'd you learn how to sling ? "

imho

knowledge, without experience, is just information&&

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:35am

I was 12 when I started, and I hadn't a clue about anything.  I had never seen it done and didn't have a teacher.  I also came close to taking out a neighbor’s front window... but that's not the point!  Give the kid a sling!  He has a good teacher to help him out, and what’s childhood without a little danger to nearby windows, eh?  Just make sure he knows that it can be dangerous, if done incorrectly.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:50pm

I started slinging when I was 13-- frankly with nearly disastrous results. Show him how to sling !

Lately I passed by one of the spots where I started slinging. I had a woven sling in my pocket-- took a few shots. Most went out into the dry field among the straw, and sent up puffs of dust. But then I picked up a big stone, like my fist. It didn't quite fit the woven pouch, but I tried to take the shot-- and the stone escaped behind me, twice. Enough, i thought. And i tied my sling around a traffic sign, and left it there.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 3:17pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to add a little bit from what I've read in your responses...

The kid doesn't seem mischievous at all. He seems like a 12 year old boy that likes digging and playing ball and all the stuff we used to do before video games replaced a lot of it.

He also seems determined to use rocks. I don't think there is any chance of me getting him to use tennis balls.  Last night I tried to get him to throw one and he kind of looked at me like I was nuts.  Roll Eyes I drilled him a lot about the fact that this is a dangerous weapon and he could kill someone or break a window but who knows if he will take it to heart. I know I didn't when I was his age and I wasn't capable of understanding what "It could kill someone if used improperly" really meant. But I guess not many 12 year olds are.  I mean I didn't go on a slinging spree or anything but I was pretty innocent. Here's to hoping he's more wise then I was.

I think I will go over there but mostly to make sure they know he has it and are ok with it. I don't want to scare anyone away from slinging. A slingshot could kill someone after all and those are considered kids toys. So I will let them know it's like a slingshot in that it can cause serious injury if misused but can also be used for fun.

America has become so sue happy, like Ishi said; it's ridiculous. I just want to cover all my bases and make sure he actually explained to them what it is he was doing. But I won't be trying to scare them about it.

Again thanks for the advice. Every response was  helpful.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 8:13pm

Good move Smiley

Hopefully he wont show any mischievous friends the sling  Wink

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 9:12pm

When I work with new slingers I usually show them an impresive demonstration of the sling oblertating the target and then they usually have a good amount of respect for the sling  Smiley .

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:53pm

Well he's been over every night since I gave it to him. He seems to really want to learn. What can I say, it's hard to turn someone down that really shows an interest... No windows broken yet, no broken bones, but I'm sorry to say there has been a causality.

My really bad, yet somehow lovable big headed dog crept over to the bench that he placed the sling on and chewed it up pretty good.  Roll Eyes Huh

He came back from gathering stones to find a very wet and ragged sling. When I told my dog Sagey what a bad thing to do that was I got the usual vacant grin that I get from her. It's going to be hard to stay mad at her.  Tongue I guess I need to get started on another.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:00pm

Hi, Morphy;
   I think it's great that you're making new disciples.  You've found my key to success. The best way to get people interested in slinging is to just sling.  They watch you and ask about it.  It's that simple.  If I were in your shoes I would get the kids parents permission in person just to make sure that you're covered.  I would answer their questions honestly, but I wouldn't try to scare them.  It would be a good idea to impress on your young student just how deadly the sling can be.  That's my two cents.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:08am

i started at eleven, and look at me now Smiley i think i'm still this forums youngest member at 13. to heck with his parents, tell them that your teaching him to sling, but don't ask them what they think about it. eventually by the time the kid is self reliant about it he can show his parents and let them decide.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:27am

xxkid123 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:08am:
i started at eleven, and look at me now Smiley i think i'm still this forums youngest member at 13. to heck with his parents, tell them that your teaching him to sling, but don't ask them what they think about it. eventually by the time the kid is self reliant about it he can show his parents and let them decide.

You sound very mature for your age kid, I can hardly believe sometimes your barely a teen.  Shocked Anyways I ended up going over there just to double check. They are very laid back and seem cool with it. He has made huge progress in just this small amount of time. Today he came over and said, "I've been practicing, watch this." And slung that stone perfectly out in front of him. I couldn't believe it!  Grin

All I do for the most part is sit there and offer suggestions and occasionally sling a bit myself. My mantra has become , "Slow wind-up, fast pitch." ( He has a problem with a really overly fast wind up and sometimes his sling gets away from him.)   Grin Grin Even so he's a really fast learner. I have no doubt he will be a great slinger some day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)