slung incendiaries (Read 6180 times)
Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
slung incendiaries
Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:55pm

OK, now I know there has been plenty of threads over this before, but i searched to no avail. I was wondering what would be the best incendiary to put in a glandes.

I do not want to make a clay pot and fill it with lighter fluid or something, I think I remember reading a little about sling bullets in Guam , in which they would have a hole/groove carved in them in which one would fill with burning fibers that would burn strongly when thrown, im looking for something along those lines...

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: slung incendiaries
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:21pm

Can't think of anything off the top of my head. I know it was common to heat clay and iron projectiles to red hot.
Also, the South Americans would heat stones to red hot, quickly wrap them in cotton cloth that was soaked in resin. If done right, it burst into flames in the air

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:48pm

I could think of some very effective ones, also very dangerous. Why do you want to sling something that bursts into flames on impact?

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:54pm

Why??  Huh Do we need a reason?  Grin

idk, seems pretty awesome....

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:34pm

what I do for "incendiaries" for my slings is cut the heads off of half a box of strike anywhere matches, then put them in a tape ball with a small rock in the middle.  I try to point the heads towards the rock by sticking the wood part on the inside of the tapeball. once the tape ball is sealed up, all you need to do is sling it against a hard surface. the effects are somewhat unpredictable, though. the first one I did exploded upon impact with a brick wall, throwing flaming match heads in all directions. the second one  I made hit the wall, then shot backwards like a flaming rocket spinning through the air. the third one looked like it wasn't going to do anything, but after it bounced off the wall, and landed on the floor, it just exploded a couple seconds later, like a hangfire. I am pretty sure that they were dangerous, but that didn't matter. it was AWESOME. if I ever get a hold of a camera I will make a video and post a link

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:33am

What they use is pitch or tar.  It will burn without going out as it flies through the air, so you could probably fill that groove with some tar and light that.  But tar will stick to you and if it is burning will cause severe burns so watch the f**k out!  I mean it, we don't want to lose any of our fellow slingers.  If you throw them I would suggest somewhere where there is a long beach so when you get to the water you are away from flammable areas and then throwing the ammunition into the water at night, (bring a flashlight or have bonfire or something.)

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:08am

Cthulhu wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:54pm:
Why??  Huh Do we need a reason?  Grin

idk, seems pretty awesome....

Okay, I´ll bite, dear Cthulhu, if you plan on doing something that involves serious risks for yourself and your surroundings, be it property, people, wild life etc, yes you would need a bloody good reason to do so, and no, "pretty awesome" does not qualify in my book.

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:45pm

Whats with you actively killing all my joy? again?  Grin

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1277137451/0

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:40pm

Since reading Cliff Savage's book the sling, I've always questioned his claim about slinging a molotov cocktail.  It sounded like a recipe for self immolation.  Grin

If anyone ever attempts this, I'd be curious to see it... On video... not in person  Grin

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:41pm

Double post

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Cthulhu wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:45pm:
Whats with you actively killing all my joy? again?  Grin

No need for the link, I remember...you should be glad ; We care enough for your well being ( and those unlucky enough to be in your range...)to hand out warnings, it doesn´t really seem to sink in though Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 4:46pm

I wouldn't try to sling a Molotov cocktail for fun, for obvious reasons.  However, if I was ever in a position where I had to use one I'd absolutely sling it.  If you ever saw me throw something by hand you'd know why immediately.  Probably a seatbelt or Aussie pouch sling would work best for such a task.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:48pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 4:46pm:
I wouldn't try to sling a Molotov cocktail for fun, for obvious reasons.  However, if I was ever in a position where I had to use one I'd absolutely sling it.  If you ever saw me throw something by hand you'd know why immediately.  Probably a seatbelt or Aussie pouch sling would work best for such a task.

what about making a jug sling, but with the cocktail in the jug, and having the whole contraption fly out rather than just what's isnide it? it'd be a lot safer, since it can't slip.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 11:43pm

Quote:
Cthulhu wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:45pm:
Whats with you actively killing all my joy? again?  Grin

No need for the link, I remember...you should be glad ; We care enough for your well being ( and those unlucky enough to be in your range...)to hand out warnings, it doesn´t really seem to sink in though Grin

It's the nature of younger folk to want to play with things that can kill them. It's also human nature for those that have survived those years to try and explain why the younger ones shouln't.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:35am

Lol personally I wouldnt sling a petrol bomb at all, most of them are made by wee kids and would not be properally made and secured. I have mates who have seen people set themselves alight by throwing one wrongly and Im sure swinging one around in a sling wouldnt be the best throwing method.
There is also the risk (which could be controlled by us however) that the bottle would release early through imbalance (with the centripetal force changing the weight balance within the bottle) and sending the bottle a little too close to you lol

I am however, as everyone is at some point, interested in throwing some form of an incendiary. A guide on this site of making clay pots seems to be the best idea so far I think, but by the nature of having a hole in that aswell makes it seem sort of dangerous if loaded incorrectly.

Nemo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)