Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What style did David use? (Read 8802 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

What style did David use?
Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:34am

A few days ago I was at my friends house teaching him various slinging styles when he ," what kind of style did David use ?" I did not know and was wondering if any of you guys new anything about what style an anceint Isreali sheperd might use ?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re:  What style did David use?
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:51pm

an effective  Wink style that affected  Shocked Goliath ... or to put it simply I have no idea what style was used.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:47pm

A bit hard to say now, as it supposedly happened some time ago.  But something fast, sneaky and effective, is my guess Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:55pm

Impossible to determine I´m afraid. Every person uses his/her own style and there is no description of the style David may have used.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:41pm

If forced to speculate, I would suggest something fast without windups or else Goliath could have retreated behind his shield bearer.

Note also the staff... a staff held between two hands can hide a loaded sling held between two hands. Drop the staff, Greek throw... SMACK!

IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:53pm

dunno. but when you have God on your side, a underhand tennis ball would do wonders.

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 9:01am

David Morningstar wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:41pm:
If forced to speculate, I would suggest something fast without windups or else Goliath could have retreated behind his shield bearer.

Note also the staff... a staff held between two hands can hide a loaded sling held between two hands. Drop the staff, Greek throw... SMACK!

I agree with DM that it was most likely a short snappy style which nailed Goliath before he knew what was coming. Note that prior to the actual fight David and Goliath were close enough to talk (shout) to each other and then David ran toward Goliath once the battle proper started and loaded the sling whilst running, so the range was likely very short. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the way Luis Pons Livermore slings. Things like slinging don't change much.

However no specific details of the throw are given so we cannot be definite. The only detail the writer feels obliged to state is that David selected five stones from a creekbed. As we all know smooth river stones give much superior performance so that would be logical. As to why five; other than the obvious reason that it would be fairly unwise to go into battle with only one shot, Goliath allegedly had four brothers so the five stones represent a total victory over them. A nice touch to the story, but speculation only.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:12am

I think the best way to guess at this question is to look at what style the shepherds in this area use today. Sling tradition probably hasn´t changed much since biblical times.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:45pm

picklepie159 wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:53pm:
dunno. but when you have God on your side, a underhand tennis ball would do wonders.

Totally agree, David could have done a backhand with a marshmallow and taken down Goliath with God on his side. Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:50pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 9:01am:
David Morningstar wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:41pm:

I agree with DM that it was most likely a short snappy style which nailed Goliath before he knew what was coming. Note that prior to the actual fight David and Goliath were close enough to talk (shout) to each other and then David ran toward Goliath once the battle proper started and loaded the sling whilst running, so the range was likely very short. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the way Luis Pons Livermore slings. Things like slinging don't change much.

However no specific details of the throw are given so we cannot be definite. The only detail the writer feels obliged to state is that David selected five stones from a creekbed. As we all know smooth river stones give much superior performance so that would be logical. As to why five; other than the obvious reason that it would be fairly unwise to go into battle with only one shot, Goliath allegedly had four brothers so the five stones represent a total victory over them. A nice touch to the story, but speculation only.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1276961659 ; Check out this link if read a little more into 1 Sam. it reavels everything you need to know.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:03am

As you say other quotes make it evident that Goliath had brothers, but it is not unambiguosly clear that David selected five stones to symbolise victory over them all. Of course that is a possibility but I think there is often a tendency to "spiritualize" everything about the encounter. In essence it was a fight between a skilled slinger and an overconfident arrogant champion who greatly underestimated his opponent.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

mick berger
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 8:42am

There is no doubt that David was indeed a gifted slinger.And God was indeed on David`s side.

Reading 1 Samuel is what brought me to this site....I was gonna make my own sling.And thanks to all for your articles on making them.

One must consider that he smote a lion and a bear also.Being a hunter,shooter,and reloader leads me to believe he knew how to change calibers.He before the battle took a supply wagon thru hostile territory,and it would be hard for me to imagine he went without ammo in his pouch,yet the text says he went to the creekbed for suitable ammo for Goliath.Items listed for the battle was his ammo pouch,staff,5 different stones,and his sling.I cant imagine taking anything un-necessary to a battle to the death.Even the giant`s statement,"am I a dog that you came to fight me with sticks" is quite odd and that the giant would have certainly known of slings and stones.

Coming here for the first time(December) I noticed something about a staff sling.WHEREUPON  all the literature made complete sense.I vote for the staff sling as the weapon used.I think David had the real weapon neatly concealed just behind his shoulder,taking out the giant quickly and by surprise attack.And like Aussie says the giant greatly under estimated an opponent.I have been beaten at chess by young people the very same way.

With that said....could David just have used just the sling??? Yes of course we all know here how powerful a weapon it is.And at the risk of "gnosticism" which all my Bible teachers have warned about in the past....I still vote for the staff sling.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:29pm

sidearm/nowindup-balearic is the most probable.

It's a sty;e m,any slingers come to naturally, it;'s powerful, accurate with practice and used from a relaxed position with the sling hanging down at your side.
Takes about a second to go from relaxed stance to a hard release.
Can be easily used whie moving too.

But it's all guesswork Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:45pm

I agree with c-a, propeller-style windup and sidearm release with a sudden speed snap. There was a vid posted by Rockman a year ago showing berbers slinging like that-- but it's no longer on YouTube. So the old "Mediterranean shepherd" / Balearic / Bedouin style...

A staff-sling-- I think not. Apart from the fact that there's no evid for this weapon that early (which of course is not conclusive-- there could have been staff slings before C1st AD but simply not documented anywhere), the Bible seems pretty clear: he had a staff and a sling, not a staff-sling

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:57pm

picklepie159 wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:53pm:

Aahahahahhahah super!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)