Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stupid  )(*^&%  youtube Comments (Read 9499 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Stupid  )(*^&%  youtube Comments
Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Among many other idiotic comments I read this today on youtube:
BelligerentAuthority
1 year ago 2  Hunting slings were typically used to drive prey in a certain area, like towards your hunting buddies who have the spears for poking. Or to drive it under a cliff where a huge rock could be dropped onto it. Of course you could kill small game with it, but for large game it's only a deterrant. And if you could deliver a debilitating wound and track the animal untill it dies that's just as good.

There is so much stupid misinformation about slings on youtube that it's almost comical.  I suppose it's harmless, but it annoys me to some degree.  Before people post comments as if they were some sort of expert they should at least have some faint notion as to what they're talking about.  The way this guy spells should tell you all that you need to know about him!

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Re: Stupid  )(*^&%  youtube Comments
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:14pm

I completely agree with you  Wink

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Yea BelligerentAuthority is a dumbass I must admit, he doesn't know squat about slings.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:30pm

If people want to learn the real deal, they can come over here.  I'd rather have all of the idiots on you tube than more respectable sites where people may actually believe them.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:48pm

another youtube comment

that's stupid, your not supposed to make it go over your head, what are you trying to be, a helicopter?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:12pm

People watch one video of a guy claiming to be an expert and then go to other videos and become "experts" themselves. And now, back to reality...

What gets me is people suspend all common sense and higher reasoning factors when looking at videos. They have an opinion and don't bother looking to see if anything from that video or others might support or disprove what they believe to be true. Bias is not terribly helpful if you want truth.

And yet, youtube has some good videos out there. They may not be perfect but they will open your mind and get you thinking in more direction then just your own. They are at least good for that.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:51pm

that's why a lot of people remove the comments function, so that no one can post crap. another youtube video maker Nutnfancy gets some bad rep because he removes anything that is rude or insulting, but it's better than just preventing all comments.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:08pm

xxkid123 wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:48pm:
another youtube comment

that's stupid, your not supposed to make it go over your head, what are you trying to be, a helicopter?

those commenters are everywhere around me in real life... arrrrrrgh

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:07am

I think I might try calling in some 'yotes and taking them down with a sling and make a video for youtube. that should quiet the sling doubters.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:01am

It was a YouTube message that the museum sent to contact me and ask to use my videos, so its not all bad Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:41am

Rat Man wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:59pm:
Among many other idiotic comments I read this today on youtube:
BelligerentAuthority
1 year ago 2  Hunting slings were typically used to drive prey in a certain area, like towards your hunting buddies who have the spears for poking. Or to drive it under a cliff where a huge rock could be dropped onto it. Of course you could kill small game with it, but for large game it's only a deterrant. And if you could deliver a debilitating wound and track the animal untill it dies that's just as good.

There is so much stupid misinformation about slings on youtube that it's almost comical.  I suppose it's harmless, but it annoys me to some degree.  Before people post comments as if they were some sort of expert they should at least have some faint notion as to what they're talking about.  The way this guy spells should tell you all that you need to know about him!

Well, I've seen worse - sometimes posted by people who turn out to be on this forum  Wink. But yes, when it's free for all access, and no one is sanctifying the results it pays to take the comments with a pinch of salt. Hones one's critical faculties - a good thing.

In the age of Wikipedia etc. we are in the age of the 'instant expert' - which I certainly find irritating seeing I worked a long time to be a 'real expert' at what I do. At least B.S. on Wikipedia is usually fairly rapidly shot down by others. I think it just means us old fogies have to remind ourselves we're not watching the carefully crafted television documentaries of our youth, but something completely different.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:02am

Most non-constructive comments are usually do to pride and/or stupidity try not to let them bother you too much as it will undoubtly continue.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:35am

Quote:
remind ourselves we're not watching the carefully crafted television documentaries of our youth

Lol the carefully crafted documentaries of my youth are the Deadliest Warrior series where they get the real experts on Wink

Lol as said, Youtube comments are full of rubbish, there is a reason they are at the bottom of the page lol All I can say though is Im happy alot of the slinging videos reference or give a link to this site, so if people actually are interested they know where to start.

Nemo

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:04pm

Don't get me wrong.  First, I consider myself a student of slinging, not an expert.  Youtube has some great slinging vids on it, many posted by our members here.  It can be a very valuable learning tool, and has been for me.  David Morningstar, pj, Brian Grubbs, and many others have taught me much through it.  Also, it's turned a lot of people toward us for the correct information.  I just wish the half wits would find something else to talk about.  There are some extraordinarily ignorant "experts" out there.

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:42pm

I don't see what was wrong with the comment.  Were slings not used to drive game to other areas for ambush?  They can certainly kill small game.  I doubt that a sling is going to kill anything bigger than a deer outright. 

After seeing some sword and knife making vids on the science channel, I'd say take anything you see with a grain of salt.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)