Work/Sling story (Read 5531 times)
SlingKey
Descens

Shame? Pride? What're
those? (Lurker)

The NW Territories (U.S.)
Work/Sling story
Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:40am

A couple weeks ago during lunch break, my boss spotted something odd when I took my lunch out of my bag I carry to work.

"What's that?!"

His spidey sense was uncanny.  There was only an couple inches of tangled braid to see when I had partly unzipped the bag, and I had been overly careful to keep the possible exposure to a minimum (perhaps that's what alerted him); how did he know it wasn't just a piece of string-craft (like a fancy dream-catcher) or something people consider "normal" at work?

It was far too late, now I had to- my boss' tone had been accusatory like a babysitter's. The other co-workers had all gathered around, sensing possible embarrassment.

Out slid the yak hair sling. I subconsciously held it out in surrender-pose, like it was an old lady's wig or printed underwear I'd been caught stowing.

"It's uh- sling..."

That barely registered. I decided to gamble it all and go full bore in order to aggravate the situation so as to possibly confuse them into giving-up caring. It was a gutsy maneuver, but I'd make them sorry for investing so much of their attention into the situation that wasn't really theirs to begin with.

"It's a braided yak-hair and wool sling I got from Tibet. You swing it around and it launches stuff really hard at Goliath."
This was the LEAST concise and overall worst general description I could muster for an abrupt intro to anything, especially one taken care not to include any pauses for breath for naturally paced delivery of any sort. I was actually proud of myself for this; for a split second I could hear their brains fizzle into hiccups.

Alpha boss instead turned to a look of childish admiration and drew closer, as if to touch it. The clan followed his lead.

>>>>Fast forward 5 minutes later<<<<

All co-workers outside the building, standing in front of the back wall, their backs turned, giggling like the idiots they totally weren't.

"Throw it (the tennisball I'd also brought) as hard as you can! I wanna feel this."

Although I didn't sling it as savagely as I could have, I don't want to sound like I let anyone down.

I connected with Mark's calf on a powershot to which he squealed like a kid sister. Laughs all around.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Take turns. Boss' orders.

**** BEST LUNCH [DAY AT WORK] EVER ****

Stop Lying

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Work/Sling story
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:03am

Good story Slingkey. That takes guts.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:04am

I once slung a pape/duct tape ball at my one friend who thought it might be fun...............after he fell on his side moaning he decided it was no longer fun or a good idea  Smiley .(No harm done just a welt and some funny memories).  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:29pm by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:35am

I would have totally embarresed myself by missing repeatedly.  Bill

IP Logged

D1997
Tiro

doe much things who make
something with history

Belgium
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:44pm

I love the story:) But in belgium is slinging against people illegal Cheesy
We may nothing in this country Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:25pm

Victory!

IP Logged

SlingKey
Descens

Shame? Pride? What're
those? (Lurker)

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:05am

Thanks for the support, it couldn't have been done without the knowledge I gained from all the people on this site, not to mention the site   

The funny thing about this story, besides it actually happening in real life, is that the ending to this particular scenario was anything but predictable and yet arguably the best possible outcome (!)
I had to share it.  Now everyone there thinks of the sling as awesome and fun. A couple of the co-workers were low powered yet very accurate- they got repeated tennisball head-shots (!!!). I really ought to get everyone at work a sling for a gift now that I think of it...

----

"I would have totally embarresed myself by missing repeatedly.  Bill "

Well, it's not part of the official legend, but I heard some rumor there were a couple of 'warm-up' throws beforehand Wink

----

Tiny tidbits left out from the story (for pacing purposes):

*Upon my first (ordered) demonstration, they wanted to see how hard I could sling something (luckily/conveniently I had a tennisball), so I managed to both dent the heavy metal gate (pull down/garage style) with it and also slung it off the back wall hard enough for it to leave green tennisball fuzz stuck to the wall (visible from a ways back), which impressed the boss into the idea of herding the coworkers into a (backs turned) firing line...

*One coworker, Mark, executed a very nice figure 8 on their first try (I showed them once and discouraged it for inherent complexity). The group was actually surprisingly talented in general and picked it up (general slinging) more or less immediately. It was everyone's first try at using a sling (except for mine).

*The girl there (secretary) was the most accurate. Startling, actually. The worst part was how she didn't seem surprised by this at all. The only bad part of the experience was the bitter jealousy I had to swallow Grin

Stop Lying

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:39am

Great story.

Generally the reaction to the slings occasionally found on my work desk is that they are just confirmation that I'm seriously eccentric Smiley.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:29am

We're not eccentric, it's all them others that are just so boringly conventional Wink

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:46am

Aussie wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:29am:
We're not eccentric, it's all them others that are just so boringly conventional Wink

hell yeah !

Great story. Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:31am

you are lucky that your coworkers were satisfied with just throwing tennis balls at each other instead of, you know, rocks.

IP Logged

Mederic

Slinging Rocks!

Western MA
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:01pm

rofl did you get your turn in line with your back turned? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:06pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:29am:

Hear, hear!  Cool

Grin  Great story, well executed too.  Glad you didn't get your Tibetan sling confiscated, I think I would probably die fighting before I handed one of mine over.   Grin  I laughed at the end, did not see that coming!  Sounds like you work with a good group of people.  Thanks for sharing!

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

SlingKey
Descens

Shame? Pride? What're
those? (Lurker)

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:28am

Mederic wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:01pm:
rofl did you get your turn in line with your back turned? Roll Eyes

I DID get the chance but instead of opting for that, I made myself busy by helping instruct the new rotating throwers/slingers as they slung at the line, instead. Now I'm slapping my forhead for letting the window of opportunity slip by  Roll Eyes Grin

Sgt.X-treme wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:01pm:
you are lucky that your coworkers were satisfied with just throwing tennis balls at each other instead of, you know, rocks.

Yeah, I remembered your story soon after that happened  Grin . A little contrast between stories, otherwise they're the same  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Eoraptor wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:01pm:

Hear, hear!  Cool

Grin  Great story, well executed too.  Glad you didn't get your Tibetan sling confiscated, I think I would probably die fighting before I handed one of mine over.   Grin  I laughed at the end, did not see that coming!  Sounds like you work with a good group of people.  Thanks for sharing!

Work + Slings doesn't always mix. But I guess sometimes it DOES! I guess the moral of the story is,  don't do slinging at work if you feel comfortable about it (i.e.- Sgt Xtreme, Tint), but if you don't feel comfortable about it at all, then you must DO IT ANYWAYS , cause it worked out great for me!

Disclamer: everything.

Stop Lying

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:16pm

Great thread...I love it. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)