Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
boomerang stuck in tree- help (Read 9473 times)
picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
boomerang stuck in tree- help
Jul 20th, 2010 at 6:57pm

basic story. I bought boomerang. I threw it. A tree caught it, 50 feet up. How do I get it down? arrgggghhh...... So frusturated.

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: boomerang stuck in tree- help
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Chain Saw. ... or rabbit stick .. or climb. Been there got the T-Shirt .... only have used the last two methods.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:02pm

wait for the next storm to knock it out!  Grin
throw a small rock
not chainsaw!
really long stick to poke it
ladder

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:48pm

got an idea. Oneofu guys said climb, and I thought grappling hook. Unfortunately, I don't have one, and climbing up 70 feet (yes, it looks like it's 70 feet) woiuld be suicide. Another said throw a rock at it. At 70 feet directly upwards, my accuracy would diminish considerably (already used up an afternoon doing that) I wanted to sling at it, but it's right next to a road and a community. So, I got a lead sinker, and hooked it onto a few hundred feet of paracord. I'll try to sling it over the branch, let the sinker down on the other side, and pull both strings to knock the 'rang down. Is it a good idea? Any suggestions? thanks for replying.

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 11:32pm

In the past when I've needed to get something out of a tree without damaging it I would use a slingshot with dots candies for ammo. They can be relatively soft but fly very well and deform on impact so as not to cause damage, slightly dry play-doh works as well.  I guess it depends how stuck it is though.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 12:25am

your lead sinker plans sounds good, the only flaw would be if it gets stuck as well.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 2:04am

um excuse me? this is a slinging forum??????? SLING A STONE AT IT!  Grin

lol, if it's 50 feet up then maybe you could could throw a rock at it to get it down? I've done it at 30 feet, but never 50.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:12am

tennis balls are brilliant for knocking stuff out of tress as they rarely get stuck themselves.

I figure 3 - 4 days of slinging tennis balls at the boomerang and you might knock it down. But your slinging will be a helluva lot better Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 9:49am

I second the tennis balls, much less likely to damage the surrondings.  (Unless they are frisbee throwers)  Also, it's going to be pretty difficult to throw that weight up and over the right branch.  A grappling hook will be worse and then you have to get the hook out of the tree somehow.   Bill

IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 9:38pm

tried the sinker idea today. Was going smoothly. Underhand works best for tossing it. I missed a few times, then got around a branch. It didn't catch, And i pulled it down. I did that a few more times, and got it stuck- on the wrong branch. I ended up having 50 pounds of lumber nearly hitting me when I pulled it a bit too hard and the dead branch snapped. It probably would have had a chance of working if I was able to get the rock around the right branch, but no- it didn't. It'sstill a nice thought, though. Im gunna try the tennis balls tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas.

PS. Might be a thunderstorm tonight. Gotta ask Thor to help me get that darn 'rang down...

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:49am

I have an idea.. I worked for our Cable TV provider here for almost 15 years.  We'd regularly have to work cable lines through trees.  One method was as you described with the sinker and line.  We'd use a big rubber coated sinker.  The other and far better method is to use lay up sticks.  They're plastic poles.  One fits inside the next so you can keep adding sections to reach the desired length.  The top section has a blunt metal hook on it.  I wouldn't expect you to have anything like that but... do you know anyone who works for either the cable TV, phone, or electric company in your area?  Someone like that would have exactly what you need... maybe they could even use their bucket truck to get it down for you.  I know this is a long shot, but there's at least a chance that you know someone who works in one of those industries.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 11:12am

When I first saw the title I was very impressed that you were able to get a boomerang "stuck in" a tree  Huh  but, then I read on further and found that it was actually stuck in the branches.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:08pm

Get another boomerang and see if the tree will trade with you.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Well, did you ever get it down?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:05pm

dork wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:08pm:
Get another boomerang and see if the tree will trade with you.

I like this idea but I'm pretty sure it only works when your on something.  Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)