Send Topic Print
Leather Slings (Read 2224 times)
BushBoy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

West Sussex, UK
Leather Slings
Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:07pm

Hi, does anybody know whether a strap of leather - tappered down at each end - would be any good for a sling?

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Re: Leather Slings
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:06pm

i think it will make a fine sling.....try it out and send us pix

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:25pm

The best way to know is to try it out. I am pretty sure it would work fine.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 8:00pm

It does, different but it works.  It is the sling that Ayla uses in Clan of the Cave Bear.  Yes, I know those books are works on fiction, but I mention them because people have made slings in that style because of the books.  From what I hear, they worked fine, but I think they were made by fans of the book who weren't slingers, so it will be interesting to hear about it if you could make one.  I wish I could make one, but I don't have a long enough piece of leather...

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:33pm

TheWarriorYeti bought a sling from Madagascar that was cut from leather. rather than just a bump as a pouch though, there where s gaps cut out two make it into a 3 strap split pouch

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:58pm

I actually read a slinging history once where it mentioned the use of leather slings, cut all out of one piece of leather with tapered cords and a thicker or triangular portion for the pouch.  It was on the internet somewhere, I found it googling for sling info.  It was a certain culture I think that was using them and they were at war with another group and the others had superior accuracy due to the braided slings they use.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:39am

i love the search feature. 10-20 clicks later and a long wait as my 700mb RAM processed the infromation later i found the picture of a one piece leather sling from Madagascar, from funda_iucanda (i initially though it was TheWarriorYeti, then winklereid)

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2010 at 7:58pm by xxkid123 »  

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 12:00pm

i've made and used them and they work just fine. it's all about what type of leather you use, though. someone trying to sling stones with an old belt is going to be disappointed. you need something supple with a bit of stretch to it like doehide or braintanned deer skin. the ones i made i cut the pouch into an oval shape about 2 1/2'' at the center and left the cords about 3/4'' wide which i then split into three strips and braided them. the only disadvantage to this type is that it uses a LOT of precious leather. for the same amount it takes to make one of these, you could make 6 or seven leather/fiber combo slings.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:28pm

The Madagascar sling on the picture belongs to me. I sent Winkleried the picture. What you can't see on it is the making of the loop. Though most parts of the sling are just cut out of the piece of leather the loop is made of another piece of leather diligently slit and knotted to the end of the retention cord. I'll try to draw a sketch of it and to post it. I do not know the reason for that reletively complicated making of the loop. I just assume that this knot is stronger than a loop made of the end of the cord. And it seems to me that slinging goes smoother with it than it would be with a simple loop made from the end of the cord.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)