Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Russian Olive Wood--Good for anything? (Read 12187 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Russian Olive Wood--Good for anything?
Jun 20th, 2010 at 12:03am

Out in my (red)neck of the woods, we have this tree called a "Russian Olive." It's thorny, invasive, and tough to get rid of. It's actually considered among the noxious weeds of the state, and has been known to totally take over hay meadows. Nevertheless, a lot of city slickers like to plant them for decoration. In the interests of diplomacy, I'll hold my tongue on that point.

At any rate, I had a truly magnificent old Russian Olive that was toppled in a wind storm. Before I donate it to a local charity for firewood, I thought about gathering some of it to use on other projects.

Does anyone know anything about this tree? As I understand it, the latin name is Elaeagnus Angustifolia, but that means zilch to me. I just want to know if it can be used for things like bows, atlatls, knife handles, and so forth.

And if anyone tells me how beautiful they are, or what excellent windbreaks they are, I will happily invite you to come help me clear the spiky monsters out of my fields. Cheesy

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Russian Olive Wood--Good for anything?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 5:20am

Well it does look nice...

I'm not sure about bows but you can make atlatls from them for sure! Probably knife handles also, once properly cured.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Real olive-tree wood is often used for carving; it's an oily wood with a fine grain and you can simply buff it up to a nice surface.

Don't know about your local item...  In reading through the Primitive Bowyer's Bible series, I don't recall it mentioned.

Of course, that name may just be local.   The Osage Orange (a fine bow wood) is known around here as "hedge apple".

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 1:12am

Well, if I get home early enough tomorrow, I'll go cut some and start it drying. It's nasty stuff. Inch-long thorns, and I'd swear the stupid things grab at you when you try to get rid of them.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 1:14am

Make firewood out of it.  Smiley

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 1:20am

Oh I intend to. Firewood, gate poles (for wire gates), mostly firewood. In fact, I called a member of my local church and told him to bring some trucks and saws (I only have a forge, and it uses coal/coke). I figured if we cut it all up now, when people need it in the winter it will be dry (I hope).

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 10:07am

are the olives edible?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 10:51am

According to the wikipedia in German , the fruits are edible http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmalbl%C3%A4ttrige_%C3%96lweide

The German name, Schmalblättrige Ölweide, means narrow-leafed olive (or oil) willow. The tree is not related to the olive tree.
It is just the shape of the leaves that resembles those of the olive.

The article does not mention any special use for the wood. Sorry.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 3:28pm

Quote:
Elaeagnus angustifolia (Russian Silverberry, Oleaster, or Russian-olive) is a species of Elaeagnus, native to western and central Asia, from southern Russia  and Kazakhstan to Turkey and Iran.

It is a usually thorny shrub or small tree growing to 5-7 m in height. Its stems, buds, and leaves have a dense covering of silvery to rusty scales. The leaves are alternate, lanceolate, 4-9 cm long and 1-2.5 cm broad, with a smooth margin. The highly aromatic flowers are produced in clusters of 1-3 together, 1 cm long with a four-lobed creamy yellow corolla; they appear in early summer and are later replaced by clusters of fruit, a small cherry-like drupe 1-1.7 cm long, orange-red covered in silvery scales. The fruit is edible and sweet, though with a dryish mealy texture. Its common name comes from its similarity in appearance to olive (that is trees of the entirely separate family Oleaceae).

The shrub can fix nitrogen in its roots,[1] enabling it to grow on bare, mineral substrates.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Cultivation
    * 2 Propagation
    * 3 See also
    * 4 References
    * 5 External links

[edit] Cultivation
Russian olive (silver foliage) at a rare cienega in New Mexico, United States

First cultivated in Germany in 1736, it is now widely grown across southern and central Europe as an ornamental plant: for its scented flowers, edible fruit, and attractive silver foliage and black bark. It was introduced into North America in the late 1800s, and subsequently naturalized into the wild. Russian olive is considered to be an invasive species because it has low seedling mortality rates therefore crowding out native vegetation in the wild. It often invades riparian habitat where overstory cottonwoods have died.

Find a local wood turner or bbq smoker guy - they'll take any unusual wood off your hands, trust me, I is one Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:49pm

If you make a bow out of it let us know how it compares to other woods.  Wink

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:46am

I cot seven saplings down last night. Numerous scratches later, I have a few pieces to use making gates, and one dead limb I cut from one of the larger trees that fell in a windstorm. The hardest thing I have found is finding a straight enough piece long enough to do anything with. They seem to grow about 2 feet and then bend. I'll let them dry for a few days and go back to see what I can find.

The dead wood is very light, and easy to cut. Not sure what that indicates as far as usefulness.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:55am

Kjev wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:46am:
I cot seven saplings down last night. Numerous scratches later, I have a few pieces to use making gates, and one dead limb I cut from one of the larger trees that fell in a windstorm. The hardest thing I have found is finding a straight enough piece long enough to do anything with. They seem to grow about 2 feet and then bend. I'll let them dry for a few days and go back to see what I can find.

The dead wood is very light, and easy to cut. Not sure what that indicates as far as usefulness.

if it's hard enough i guess maybe a spear shaft?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 3:13pm

"The dead wood is very light, and easy to cut. Not sure what that indicates as far as usefulness."

Well as the German name indicates it's a willow and you say the wood is very light and easy to cut (as willow's tend to be) I would say that is not a good sign for bows.  Willow is generally a soft, brittle wood. Not good for a whole lot.  Angry

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 8:57pm

if the thorns are strong enough, blowdarts? maybe for needles and other things too

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 4:28pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 3:13pm:
"
Well as the German name indicates it's a willow and you say the wood is very light and easy to cut (as willow's tend to be) I would say that is not a good sign for bows.  Willow is generally a soft, brittle wood. Not good for a whole lot.  Angry

I'm afraid the term "willow" is just as incorrect for the tree as "olive". It appears to be related to the  sea buckthorn and the buffalo berry instead.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)