Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Why David chose five stones ,please read ! (Read 51229 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Why David chose five stones ,please read !
Reply #45 - May 31st, 2011 at 2:51pm

My last reservation is whether David could have slain Goliath with the sling. Maybe he could only find 5 suitable stones at that location in the time available.

Masi, I think you mean the Black Sea, not the Dead Sea, which is landlocked and fed by a river. I saw something on TV maybe 20 years ago on that subject. The Sumerians had the same basic story before the proto-Israelites. Good ol' Utnapishtim.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #46 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:04pm

You're right; I was never very good a geography. Embarrassed

Untapishtim is likely a retelling of the even older flood myth of Atra-Hasis of Shuruppak.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:49am

I think Goliath knew exactly what he was going up against.  I also think, contrary to Hollywood versions, he was treating David with a great deal of respect, he was advancing quickly with his shield up, probably covering the lower half of his face.  David hit him in the forehead because that was pretty much his only target.  He only carried five stones because he knew, one way or the other, the fight would be over quickly.  The head armor of the time was a boarskin cap shaped like a beehive, it would have come down to just above his eyebrows.  So David was shooting for an area on his face from just above his cheekbones to just over his eyebrows.  Any hit in that area from a decent sized rock would be instantly incapitating, it may or may not have been instantly fatal.  Pretty good shooting.  Bill

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #48 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:08pm

I agree, I think he did know what man he was up against (as he preceded hiding behind his sheild held by his armor bearer) but never took into account Divine Intervention, in which account sheild or not he never stood a chance.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #49 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:26am

Dan wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:08pm:
I agree, I think he did know what man he was up against (as he preceded hiding behind his sheild held by his armor bearer) but never took into account Divine Intervention, in which account sheild or not he never stood a chance.

Divine intervention or no, he was screwed. One doesn't advance towards sharpshooters with melee weapons and no stealth and relatively unimpressive cover, it doesn't end well, particularly if one is a large target.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 5:47am

And it kinda diminishes David´s skill; I mean if it was divine intervention that determined the outcome he could have tossed the pebble casually by hand, in Goliath´s general direction....
I´d say it rather was a case of "god helps those that help themselves", and our David was quite a sharp shooter.

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #51 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:12am

Quote:
I think that is not a very good comparison, as the story of Noah clearly is in the bible, and it is a pretty straight forward story, no far fetched interpretations going on.

Well, no, to me the stories seem vastly different.

The Noah story is clearly intended as a "just-so" story.  Many people now believe it literally, but that requires supernatural intervention continuously throughout the story.  At any level, humans could not have done it unaided.  One person builds a boat larger than is possible today, with primitive tools?  One person gathers the entire world's animals, both predator and prey, and a small family cares for them for a year?  Then they magically get to their final destinations without leaving traces in between?  Water that didn't exist before or after arrives in quantities to cover the earth?  Certainly all of that is possible IF and ONLY IF you allow for God's hand at every step.  To think that the Noah story is straightforward is to wilfully suspend any kind of even casual analysis.  You have to believe in miracles to believe it actually happened.  Which is okay, that is what religion is all about. 

Contrast that to the David vs Goliath.  This one IS a perfectly straightforward athletic contest:  mobile light infantry with projectile weapons against immobile heavy infantry with armor and thrusting weapon.  One-on-one, the slinger should win at least 99% of the time.  Though we do have to remember there is a considerable difference in mental preparation between a trained warrior and a shepherd.  One is used to risking his life in battle, and unlikely to be all that scared of a skinny (though "comely") kid;  the other surely would have had some qualms. 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:42am

He may have not had all tht many qualms, he was noted for killing wolves and lions with a sling.  And at that time, everybodys' favorite pasttime was raiding the neighbors, and stealing whatever they could, so everyone got some sort of military training at a pretty early age.  So, even if he had been too yong to go on raids, he would have been expected to be on the look out for raiders and to help repell them.  Bill

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #53 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 10:51am

Bill Skinner wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:42am:
He may have not had all tht many qualms, he was noted for killing wolves and lions with a sling.  And at that time, everybodys' favorite pasttime was raiding the neighbors, and stealing whatever they could, so everyone got some sort of military training at a pretty early age.  So, even if he had been too yong to go on raids, he would have been expected to be on the look out for raiders and to help repell them.  Bill

In my norwegian translations he ran after lions and bears that stole sheeps, beat them and tore the sheep from their mouth.
If they turned against him he beat them to death. 
Even if he used a club or staff of some kind instead of his fist it`s easy to assume he was not exactly a pushover confronted with anyone.

And for the number of stones and slinging and such I agree with kuggur slingdog, god, as must of us know him, definitively helps those who help themself.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 11:55am

timothy42b wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:12am:
Quote:
I think that is not a very good comparison, as the story of Noah clearly is in the bible, and it is a pretty straight forward story, no far fetched interpretations going on.

Well, no, to me the stories seem vastly different.

The Noah story is clearly intended as a "just-so" story.  Many people now believe it literally, but that requires supernatural intervention continuously throughout the story.  At any level, humans could not have done it unaided.  One person builds a boat larger than is possible today, with primitive tools?  One person gathers the entire world's animals, both predator and prey, and a small family cares for them for a year?  Then they magically get to their final destinations without leaving traces in between?  Water that didn't exist before or after arrives in quantities to cover the earth?  Certainly all of that is possible IF and ONLY IF you allow for God's hand at every step.  To think that the Noah story is straightforward is to wilfully suspend any kind of even casual analysis.  You have to believe in miracles to believe it actually happened.  Which is okay, that is what religion is all about.  

Contrast that to the David vs Goliath.  This one IS a perfectly straightforward athletic contest:  mobile light infantry with projectile weapons against immobile heavy infantry with armor and thrusting weapon.  One-on-one, the slinger should win at least 99% of the time.  Though we do have to remember there is a considerable difference in mental preparation between a trained warrior and a shepherd.  One is used to risking his life in battle, and unlikely to be all that scared of a skinny (though "comely") kid;  the other surely would have had some qualms.  

You completely misunderstood this part of the discussion (it had spun a bit off topic at this point), the comparison that was made and that I disagreed with was with the Noah story, and that dinosaurs allegedly are named in the bible as contemporary with humans. Just read the couple of posts above the one you quoted.

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #55 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:13pm

Quote:
You completely misunderstood this part of the discussion (it had spun a bit off topic at this point), the comparison that was made and that I disagreed with was with the Noah story, and that dinosaurs allegedly are named in the bible as contemporary with humans. Just read the couple of posts above the one you quoted.

Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying the Noah story was straightforward and believable, which I would have to disagree with (barring an enormous amount of supernatural intervention, which of course is possible.). 

I think maybe what you meant was just that Noah and the Flood are clearly described in the Bible, whether true or not; whereas dinosaurs are not described in the Bible, certainly not clearly anyway, but must be added in by interpreters.  ??

I think David against a Goliath is a nobrainer, given the choice of weapons.  (I get a rock that can kill you at 35 yards, you get a thrusting spear that can reach me at 3 yards.  Doh.)  A slinger against a dinosaur on the other hand seems doomed to become a meal.

And I know why he picked five stones, because I've picked rocks out of a stream bed myself.  There's a good one!  Wait, that one over there is better, grab it too.  Hey, what's that?  Really smooth, but not quite heavy enough, but might work.  Etc.   

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #56 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 3:21pm

I do know the answer to every one of your points on the ark, though generally people usually get angry if I do anwer and it usually doesn't make a difference anyway. You can either study the Bible much better than it seems you have for the answer or just throw me a PM (only if you really wan't the answer though).

Back to David, I have no doubt he was an excellent slinger to start with but even with that I am a pretty good archer (a bow is generally more accurate than a sling) and even those better than me would have a pretty hard time hitting that small of a target at medium range (the Bible doesn't give the exact range though I would guess it wasn't close cause the Bible says Goliath yells when he spoke with David indicating it was a greater range.)  Not only would it be an amazing shot (one that took Luis Pons Livermor more than 5 shots to get) but the story also shows how God can give anyone bravery in tough situations.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 8:22pm

timothy42b wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:13pm:
Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying the Noah story was straightforward and believable, which I would have to disagree with (barring an enormous amount of supernatural intervention, which of course is possible.).  

Well we are on the same page there, as an atheist I think the large parts of the bible are pretty unbelievable. I only called the story "straight forward", not believable. The David story on the other hand could be historical.

I think maybe what you meant was just that Noah and the Flood are clearly described in the Bible, whether true or not; whereas dinosaurs are not described in the Bible, certainly not clearly anyway, but must be added in by interpreters.  ??

Indeed what I meant, though not entirely, there wasn´t anything "added", people like Dan conclude there are Diosaurs in the bible from their interpretation of the unaltered text. As I said before, not an unreasonable interpretation if you take the word of the bible literally.

I think David against a Goliath is a nobrainer, given the choice of weapons.  (I get a rock that can kill you at 35 yards, you get a thrusting spear that can reach me at 3 yards.  Doh.)

Aaah, but do you hit that small target every  time at 35 yards? Under very stressfull conditions? Because if you miss, and I have the thrusting spear I will not give you much time to reload, I am already running towards you during the first shot you take, 35 yards are covered very quickly...
I say our David had balls of steel....

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #58 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:39pm

Quote:
I think David against a Goliath is a nobrainer, given the choice of weapons.  (I get a rock that can kill you at 35 yards, you get a thrusting spear that can reach me at 3 yards.  Doh.)

Aaah, but do you hit that small target every  time at 35 yards? Under very stressfull conditions? Because if you miss, and I have the thrusting spear I will not give you much time to reload, I am already running towards you during the first shot you take, 35 yards are covered very quickly...
I say our David had balls of steel....

I think it is a Bayes theorem problem.

At 35 yards, if i hit 80% of the time, and Goliath can get me in 4.2 seconds, do I throw now, or close to 25 yards, where my hit percentage is 95, but he can get me in 3 seconds, etc.  When you're close your odds of hitting go up, but also the risk if you miss. 

IP Logged

Sadrice
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #59 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 5:21am

Assuming it happened as described, it being a lucky shot doesn't necessarily mean that it had to have been miraculous.  Also, Luis is a fantastic slinger, but that does not mean that David couldn't have been better, and of course, it doesn't actually give us a precise range for the shot, and it's not inconceivable that the available target was just a bit bigger than the impact sensor.

All of this is a moot point, because if the bible is assumed to be literally accurate in every detail, there were much more obvious miracles, and if it's not quite so accurate, then there's no particular reason to regard the account of David's victory as being sure proof of divine intervention.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)