Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Why David chose five stones ,please read ! (Read 51075 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Why David chose five stones ,please read !
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2011 at 10:16pm

Thunder Chief wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 6:57pm:
I believe the commonly accepted measurement for a cubit is from the elbow to the tips of the fingers.

Also two spans or half an ell.  Wink

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #31 - May 17th, 2011 at 9:41am

I believe the commonly accepted measurement for a cubit is from the elbow to the tips of the fingers.

This is the most common use, but by no means is it the only one. Furthermore, this still varies highly from person to person.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #32 - May 17th, 2011 at 11:36am

That's where the original came from, but by the time of David the measure had been standardized somewhat like modern "feet" and "hands" are though they also started out as the length or width of a body part.

See my post in the DvG thread to see one reason there's so much confusion over the height of Goliath.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - May 24th, 2011 at 3:54pm

Thearos wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 4:33am:
Well, um, what claims are we talking about ?

--the story of David and Goliath ? (in the Bible)

--humans and dinosaurs at the same time (not in the Bible, really)

or should we just sling ?

Both of those are in the Bible quite distinctly and I would be happy to tell you more about it through PM that way we don't throw the thread too off topic.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #34 - May 25th, 2011 at 7:35pm

Well someone said it´s in the bible that the rapture would take place last Saturday...
You could read into parts of the bible it speaks of "dinosaurs", for instance Leviathan, but it is pretty far fetched, and certainly not "quite distinctly".....

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #35 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:10pm

I really don't think we get anywhere discussing what is or is not in the Bible or how it is to be interpreted. Nobody will be persuaded that the other guy is right and it just leads to bruised feelings.

One could question how Noah could gather enough food to keep the lions and tigers and bears (oh, my!) fed for 40 days and nights. But this isn't the place for that.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 26th, 2011 at 5:42pm

I think that is not a very good comparison, as the story of Noah clearly is in the bible, and it is a pretty straight forward story, no far fetched interpretations going on. Believing it or not is something else (as to your feeding question, simple, "miraculous").  
Of course if you take the bible literally as Dan here does, I suppose the interpretation of humans walking the earth with dinosaurs is understandable, taking the story of Genesis in consideration, and the time lines involved. You have to put the critters somewhere, humans were created at the start, along with everything else,  so there you go.

NB. Don´t know if you noticed Thom, but this whole thread is about biblical interpretation....

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #37 - May 26th, 2011 at 6:41pm

Some days I'm slower than others.  Embarrassed

My point is that a literal interpretation brings up its own problems. Those problems have been debated over the last couple-thousand years with no resolution yet in sight. It's pretty unlikely it will be resolved on this forum

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - May 27th, 2011 at 7:55am

Actually I designed for the thread for just interpretation for D vs. G. So Kuggur if you don't mind backing down back to David that would be good or it will probably go into what Hurlinthom said.

Also to answer 1 more question, Hurlinthom It would be illogical to take adult animals on the ark as they would obviously take up more and eat more food so most Christians believe that there were just baby's (not really newborn but toddler size) on the ark. Calculating the size of the ark and subtracting the space that 2 of every kind of animal (2 dogs, 2 squirrels, etc.), the ark would have been only about 1/3 full with animals, leaving plenty of room for food.

This isn't as widely known but many Christans beleive that the ark had what is called a moon pool (looks kind of like a big notch in the boat) this would have relieved much of the preasure on the boat and also alowed a place for Noah and his sons to get rid of the scat and also a place to fish. Just a theory and doesn't really matter either way but it's still pretty cool.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #39 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:05am

I do mind "backing down", especially as you yourself go right ahead and keep on pushing your religious views.
You can´t decide who should shut up just because what he says doesn´t agree with you.

If religious topics in general are to be put to rest (not such a bad idea in itself), then everybody should stop posting about it. But I´d say that´s a matter for the mods to decide and regulate.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #40 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:33am

Dan, I think you just created a self fulfilling prophesy. By trying to not bruise feelings you miffed kuggur. I don't mind thread drift, though; so how about my 2 cents on Noah's ark?

We have evidence that there was a thin wall holding back the ocean from flooding into a basin that became the dead sea. We have remains of settlements all throughout the area including building at the deepest point of the dead sea. We have a "natural" trench that matches computer models of how rushing water would carve of the area if it did flood into the dead sea. I, and quite a few others, believe that Noah's ark was built in the Dead Sea basin and contained local domesticated animals. Oxen, chickens, etc. When the land wall collapsed and water rushed into the Dead Sea it would've stretched across the horizon and looked like the whole world was flooding. it's a literal story, but it's also a matter of perspective. Obviously someone living in Mesopotamia would have no idea what a penguin is, and so they wouldn't know that the ark couldn't have every animal because penguins (and every other animal they'd never seen) weren't there.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 4:11pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #41 - May 27th, 2011 at 3:24pm

Umm, Dan et al. you guys can believe what you want and that is fine-fine by me. I happen to disagree completely. That's ok too but.  Look, I like this forum and while active debate may be entertaining, ultimately we're all here because we love/like slinging. I don't want to things to get nasty just because of entrenched beliefs. Might I suggest that in future such topics have a more specific subject title to avoid or lessen acrimony.

Kevin.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - May 27th, 2011 at 5:13pm

My aplologies if I came off too harsh, I don't mean to force my opinion on anyone I was just giving Hurlin thom what I believed was the answer to his question. Everyone is entitled to his opinion and I don't want to take that way from anyone, but I do know plenty about Creation but I would like to learn more about David and Goliath as well as slinging hence the thread. I have a feeling that due to the major use of the sling in David in Golaiath, Bible related topics will come up quite often it's just a matter staying calm and friendly.

If it's okay I would like to state what I beleive to be the literal answer to Maki opinion (after reading this you may continue to believe whatever you like this is just my opinion). The Bible states that Noah had around 100 years to build the ark and warn others and generally this is enough time to get just about anywhere out side of the mesopotamia, which would have been much easier than building a giant boat and constantly taking care of many animals for 40 days.

If anyone else would like to share your opinion on Noahs ark, it's always good to learn more on other's perspectives.

IP Logged

lone-stone
Tiro

Touch The Earth!

Buxton Derbyshire uk
Reply #43 - May 28th, 2011 at 5:46pm

I Think if going to war against a big scary guy like Goliath,I would of taken 20 stones! And even with Great Faith at least 3-5!
  I have no doubt that the Goliath was 9ft. Because he was a hybrid offspring of Angels that left God for "The Daughters of Men"  Kiss

IP Logged

starhiker
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Eatonville, Washington
Reply #44 - May 31st, 2011 at 1:51am

I'm sorry I haven't been checking up on this thread as I've missed the discussion my comments started.  I had no intention of side tracking things or starting anything heated.  My apology.  I was just expressing my belief on this subject.  Yes, there are different ways the bible is interpreted and even christians have different opinions.  As for the animals in the ark, some of you are missing the obvious solution to the feeding problem.  Many species will hibernate when faced with changing weather and I believe God could step in and put all the animals in hibernation.  Of course, the bible is silent on this subject so it is just a theory.

Lets get back to Goliath.  I suspect that Goliath didn't know or notice that David carried a range weapon as we all know the sling is easy to conceal until ready to use.  He also had to see that David didn't carry a sword or spear so Goliath must have thought that David had nothing that could threaten his head.  He might have thought that David had been sent out like some pagan human sacrifice as he appeared relatively unarmed.  In this case and if the weather was hot, Goliath may have pushed the edge of his helmet back away from his eyes exposing a small bit of forehead or maybe even choose to take his helmet off and let his armor bearer carry it for him.  After all, he should have thought it wasn't needed and I doubt it was comfortable.  Obviously this is just speculation as the bible doesn't bother to fill in the details but it seems to be a plausible scenario and it would explain the results.

I'm sliiiiinging in the rain, just sliiiiinging in the rain.  What a wooonderful feeeling I'm sliiiiinging again!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)