Send Topic Print
Crossbow tutorial? (Read 8304 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Crossbow tutorial?
Jun 19th, 2010 at 10:54am

I have searching for a guide on making a crossbow in a survival/wilderness self-relience/camping senario with only materials being some 550 cord and mabey a nail or two , has anybody seen any good videos or tutorials on this subject?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Re: Crossbow tutorial?
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 12:54pm

In that particular scenario I would make a bow. Why bother with the relatively complex technology of a crossbow? It´s not likely that the bow you make (or need) is so powerfull it needs the crossbow trigger mechanism.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 1:21pm

I am familiar with the construction of a bow and you are probably correct in that a bow would probably be better in a survival situation however, a cross bow just seems cool to me and would be fun to make when camping.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 2:00pm

Hmong Crossbow: http://therionarms.com/sold/ttoy331.html

and here            : http://news.webshots.com/photo/1066567270014707808gNAMqm

primitive trigger : http://woodgears.ca/crossbow/index.html

not real clear photos but about as primitive as it gets.

Good Luck

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 5:20pm

Even the most primitive crossbows are fairly complex compared to a bow...   The simplest trigger mechanism I'm familiar with is a "pusher", which involves the string/bolt being pulled back to a slotted shelf.   The trigger just lifts the whole affair off the shelf.   Usually, a dowel goes through the stock, and the trigger pushes the dowel up, dislodging the string.
Pretty crude, but you still have to drill a hole through the stock.

IP Logged

orion-7
Tiro

Slinging Radishes!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 10:56am

Bikewer wrote on Jun 19th, 2010 at 5:20pm:
Even the most primitive crossbows are fairly complex compared to a bow...   The simplest trigger mechanism I'm familiar with is a "pusher", which involves the string/bolt being pulled back to a slotted shelf.   The trigger just lifts the whole affair off the shelf.   Usually, a dowel goes through the stock, and the trigger pushes the dowel up, dislodging the string.
Pretty crude, but you still have to drill a hole through the stock.

I'm currently making one for my reenctment group with this method. you need to make a sort of mortice and tenon joint with one side missing . this allows you to have a moving tigger bar when you drill through and insert a dowel in there. That made no sense. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

But i'm having trouble making the prod for it, anyone got any ideas that will help? it needs to be wood, and of low poundage

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 11:47am

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?blend=2&ob=4#p/u/7/bVCqdKlWetk

orion try watching this video it might help you out as far as a trigger system goes

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:40am

on the montenyard crossbow, does anyone know what the trigger mechanism is?.......i couldn't make it out......it doesn't look like the other tilt trigger......ant ideas

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:44am

Liberty dog wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:40am:
on the montenyard crossbow, does anyone know what the trigger mechanism is?.......i couldn't make it out......it doesn't look like the other tilt trigger......ant ideas

never mind...i found the other picture showing the trigger.....still not sure how its made.....but now understand how it works

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Gadge
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:21am

Question from a newbie. I saw some of the most beautiful crossbows I've ever seen at a local market. They were very small and beautifully made. I couldn't work out how the trigger mechanism worked and though there were some parts missing, so didn't buy one Sad. I'm kicking myself now as I realize they were Montagnard crossbows and the triggers were probably ok.

My question is whether anyone knows exactly how they work. The video which Dan posted above has answered a few questions for me but the crossbows I saw had triggers which extended out both sides on the underside of the stock as well as the 'T' shape at the top.

I would really appreciate an explanation because I'd love to make one of those crossbows.

Thanks,
Gadge

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 10:48am

Gadge wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:21am:
My question is whether anyone knows exactly how they work. The video which Dan posted above has answered a few questions for me but the crossbows I saw had triggers which extended out both sides on the underside of the stock as well as the 'T' shape at the top.

I would really appreciate an explanation because I'd love to make one of those crossbows.

Welcome to slinging.org! Why don't you post in the intro section and tell us how you got interested in slinging?

As for your question, the only triggers I've seen on a Montagnard crossbow are like the ones in the pictures and video above. If it works differently then I don't know how it works, but I suspect that it is the same kind of tilt trigger carved to be more pretty.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 1:03pm

Sorry to drag up a reasonably old thread, but I had been looking into similar technology recently when looking at making a Scorpio. I have a friend who is very interested in making his own crossbows aswell (also another historic re enactor) and he had been trying to a mechanism to me, I believe the same one Gadge is on about.

This technique is less primative and requires some skill in making it, but I think it is similar to what you have been looking for,http://www.siege-engine.com/TriggersAndCatches.shtml
Check the Opposing Tooth Gear Trigger to see the one I mean.

Nemo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)