Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another vase painting with a slinger (Read 8651 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Another vase painting with a slinger
Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:42pm

This is discussed in a fantastic article by P Ducrey and C. Brelaz
Réalités et images de la fronde en Grèce ancienne, in Les armes dans l'Antiquité
De la technique à l'imaginaire, Études rassemblées par Pierre Sauzeau & Thierry Van Compernolle, 2008

Cup in the British Museum. Ca. 500 ? Oddly, slinger is helmeted and greaved. Even seems to be walking away fro direction of shot. NB on the arm, the hanging bag (a pouch for the sling, wonders the editor ? rather a bag for stones).

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Another vase painting with a slinger
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:44pm

Another pic. Not v. good, I know.

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 2:26am

Thats an unusual pose.
Corinthian helmet pushed back on his head and small bag hanging from his right arm.
Difficult to tell but do you think he is slinging left handed?

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:46am

Very interesting.

Sure the photo is not laterally reversed? Even if so, the pose seems weird. Is the hand that holds the retention cord behind the man's neck?

And the bag... almost looks like some kind of mitten.  Undecided

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 6:36am

Interesting...

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:45pm

It seems to be a left handed slinger, if the picture is not areversed copy. The throwing hand seems to be in front of the face because the coat slung around the arm is partly in front of the body.
The sling length is from the right hand until a little bit behind the eyes. Thats related to the anatomical size the same lenth as at the Makron painting Thearos showed us in former topic. So the length of the stretched arm plus the way until behind the eye seems to be kind of a standard sling length in ancient Greece. For me myself this would mean to make a sling with a length of 80 to 85 cm.
The unusual position of the slinger (seemingly aiming behind himself) is not that far away from the slinger painted by Makron. Is it possible that slingers turned around the body in the moment of highest accelerration and that they started in this "twisted" position? Should be proved by experiment.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 5:43pm

It makes a lot more sense flipped around.

I reckon the target is to the right, in the direction of the sling, and he is about to take a step backwards in the direction of the target with his left foot which will turn into a half-pirouette bringing the right shoulder around for more power.

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:42pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I didnt see anyone apart from the original author comment on the helmet. Not only is it something that would limit sight, but this ancient greek (corinthian I think someone mentioned) also has the horse hair crest ontop. Unless it was just an artist taking artistic liscense and just putting that there because he thought it looked pretty (happens a fair bit in history), this would make the greek style of throw near to impossible. I think others where right when they said it looks like he is about to take a step with his left leg, and throw in a similar style to the discus I think.
What are peoples thoughts on 'greek style'? Do we think it actually was the stylr used bny the greeks or just a modern throw with an incorrect name?

Nemo

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:50pm

Thats a good point.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 6:13am

The 'Greek style' is a modern throw developed by David Taylor in response to the 'sling held above the head' pictures of Greek coins.

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=slinging-styles---david-taylor

With that helmet on, any kind of overhead rotation is impossible.

There is one text description of Greek slinging but it isnt contemporaneous, it is by the Roman writer Virgil about the mythic period of Greek/Trojan/Etruscan history:

Quote:
Mezentius, dropping his spears, whirled a whistling sling

on its tight thong, three times round his head, and split

his adversary’s forehead open in the middle

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidIX.htm

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Yeah, David, but if I remember that quote, he was supposed to have slung the glande so hard and so fast, it melted in mid air.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:54am

The artist is struggling with a couple of problems: the way in which a slinger's weight is away from the direction of his slinging; the problem of how to represent things that pass in front of faces (e.g. bowstrings or javelins or spears)-- often they're made to look like they pass behind the head; the problem of how to differentiate between right and left. Not very successfully solved, perhaps, in this one. The pouch on the arm is v. odd indeed. -- looks like a flute case to me.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Thearos wrote on Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:54am:
The pouch on the arm is v. odd indeed. -- looks like a flute case to me.

Might be. A marching band of flute-playing slingers... Maybe that's why their reputation among the other soldiers was not the best.  Wink

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:30pm

Assuming the slinger is right handed, and that he is pirouetting, would he be twisting clockwise for a sort of backhand release? I'd like to test this style of holding the sling, but how do you think he is actually meant to be slinging? It looks like the exact opposite of a sidearm style I use around tall grass, so the image messes with my sensibilities.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 3:38pm

Another obstacle is the coat wrung around both arms. It looks very elegant, but during action it would slip down and hamper the warrior.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)