Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a warclub (Read 2493 times)
seraine22
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Making a warclub
Jun 12th, 2010 at 8:15pm

How would you go about attaching a stone to the top of a war club?

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Making a warclub
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 8:51pm

this is the way ive made them before

start by carving a groove around the end of the handle (maybe even 2) that will keep the head from sliding off after its wraped with rawhide.

i recomend carving  another groove in the stone head. you dont have to but it would help hold it to the handle.
then put one rawhide strip over the top of the stone and pull the ends down tight so the stone is pressed against the end of the handle. then take another strip and wrap it around the handle under the stone untill you get to the head.

it may take a day or 2 to fully dry but if the heads still loose you can take thin raw hide strips under the stone and that should tighten it.

apache_club.png (1303 KB | )
apache_club.png

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 9:21pm

If you have access to some reference books (or a museum) you'll see a number of different methods.   One is to cut the handle so a fairly thin strip of wood remains protruding from one side of the main "haft".   This is steamed and then bent around the stone head and secured with sinew/rawhide.

Reportedly, some Amerind tribes split a growing branch, then inserted the stone head and bound the branch back together so it would literally grow around the stone...   You have to be a little patient.....

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 5:34pm

I believe also what was done in that picture was the stone was pecked and perhaps ground as well to smoothe to make the groove down the middle of the stone around which you wrap the rawhide.  To peck it you need a rock harder than the one you are pecking and it needs to be kind of angular but round edges work too I find.  A piece of flint or chert that is kind of chunky and about the size of a lacrosse or tennis ball works best I find, but other materials like quartz or anything harder than the rock you are pecking will work, just hold it in your hand and wack the other rock with the pecking stone and you will find that small pieces are being pecked off the rock, over a good bit of time you can get a nice groove like that, makes your hands sore though, so wear a glove.  To grind and polish or sharpen a stone use a piece of wet sandstone.  Oh, and you should wet the stone for pecking too, keeps the dust down.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)