Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Useful Bones (Read 5150 times)
seraine22
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Useful Bones
Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:47am

My cousins use to run a dairy farm and now there are cow ribs and such all over the place in their pastures.I was wondering if there's a use for cow ribs(such as knife handles,blades,spear and arrow heads,along with anything similar).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Useful Bones
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:40am

if there is paleoarts will know what it is Smiley

A cow leg bone would make a great club.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:16am

You could make an atlatl of a cow rib if it's big enough. you can shape atlatl spurs from them for sure.
Leg bones can be used for a lot of things (bone knives, clubs, knife handles, spear and arrow heads, harpoon heads...)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:09pm

seraine22, all that you mentioned and more such as combs, fish hooks, needles, etc.   Wink

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 3:41pm

cow leg bones I have that have been crafted are made as sling release tabs, and Thor's hammers

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:15pm

Needles and needle cases,  thread bobbins, handles, staff decorations, hair pins, archer's thumb rings, and smaller "safety pins" are made from leg bones
Ribs can be carved and used as a veneer on wooden caskets, like the Anglo Saxons did
Knucklebones can be squared off and used to make dice. (Roll them bones)
Shoulderblades are good for buttons and toggles

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:25pm

I build cigar-box guitars and other instruments, and use bone exclusively for nuts and saddles.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 8:09am

Arrowheads, spoons and forks can also be made from longbones, along with small containers.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

seraine22
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 10:24pm

I was thinking a cow rib would be a good naginata blade,except for the fact that it isn't metal.It's the right size and shape,it's practically a unsharpened blade without a point,and it isn't that round.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:46pm

Don't forget indian breastplates made from ribs strung up to look kind of like a proper rib cage with beadwork around it.
  How do you make a thor's hammer from  a cowbone?  He has a metal one in the comic... Roll Eyes  I would be interested to know how to do that.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 3:50am

LukeWebb wrote on Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:46pm:

How do you make a thor's hammer from  a cowbone?  He has a metal one in the comic... Roll Eyes  I would be interested to know how to do that.

I am pretty sure he means an amulet shaped like Thors hammer to be worn like a necklace.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 10:12am

LukeWebb wrote on Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:46pm:
 Don't forget indian breastplates made from ribs strung up to look kind of like a proper rib cage with beadwork around it.
 How do you make a thor's hammer from  a cowbone?  He has a metal one in the comic... Roll Eyes  I would be interested to know how to do that.

i meant a thor's hammer charm pendant thing

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 2:49pm

here, i has it...
http://melchiormenzel.de/
SLINGSHOT! Grin Grin Cheesy

P.s.
on the left hand side, click making slingshots, and then click making slingshots again, and then click bone slingsht.

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 4:33pm

I have seen a deers sacupla (shoulder bone) be turned into a saw before I assume you can do it with a cows shoulder too

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)