Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Firing of My Forge! (Read 5536 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

First Firing of My Forge!
Jun 6th, 2010 at 8:08am

Last week I moved my wife's decrepit old garden shed from where it has been since we first bought our place. Lo and behold, underneath I found enough coal to fill a 5-gallon bucket.

This weekend I didn't have to work, so I fired up my forge for the very first time. I mean really fired, not just building a wood fire to heat the shop or roast hot dogs. I attempted to harden two mountain main-style throwing knives I've been working on. They are just made from mild steel (it was all I had at the time), so I didn't expect much out of them. They are so soft that even throwing them at a stump a few months ago put a bend in one.

The forge itself worked great. It's about 3 feet across, so I blocked it in with some bricks, and used an air mattress pump for a blower. If you want to push a lot of air, that's definitely the way to go.

Here's the results:

Heating the steel: On the first knife, I tried to use the clay hardening method, which didn't seem to work so well, mainly because the clay broke off while I was turning the blade over. The second knife (the one with the rivet holes in the tang) I just heated and quenched. Nothing fancy.

As you can see, I clearly need to invest in some tongs.

I really like the way the speckling pattern turned out. I think the one with the rivet holes will look nice with the edges polished and the speckles on the flat of the blade. The other knife is more of the experimental model.

By the way, as a safety note, those are really stupid gloves to wear for hot work. The backs are all nylon.

After they had cooled off, I took some sandpaper to them to see what I ended up with. Both of them still have a long way to go, but I think they will be okay for throwing knives.

My next project? Turning a railroad spike into a lance head.

I have a few more pictures at http://s441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/Stormsforge/Forge%20Work/Mountain%20Man...

As always any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Re: First Firing of My Forge!
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 2:14pm

nice man!  lately ive been wanting to get back into smithing again. its a ton of fun  Grin

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 5:12pm

oooooooh-ahhhhhhh nice

I've considered this but being fat and somewhat lazy (there has to be an easier way to do this) I'll keep this one as a pipe dream ... perhaps when I retire.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 8:43am

Steven wrote on Jun 6th, 2010 at 5:12pm:
oooooooh-ahhhhhhh nice

I've considered this but being fat and somewhat lazy (there has to be an easier way to do this) I'll keep this one as a pipe dream ... perhaps when I retire.

Being slightly on the chubby side myself, I can say that it isn't that hard. Hot, sweaty (which probably isn't a bad thing in my case), but not overly difficult. The hardest part of making the whole set up was finding a blower for the forge. I pondered it for a year, until I mentioned it to my Dad and right off the bat he suggested using an air mattress pump.

Works like a charm!

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 9:50am

ooooh, what is this magical unbreakable shiny stone you are using?   Tongue

looks good, man!  Wink

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 3:03pm

A forge is on my to do list too Smiley.  But I do not see it in the immediate future Sad.
timann 

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 4:38pm

Paleoarts wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 9:50am:
ooooh, what is this magical unbreakable shiny stone you are using?   Tongue

looks good, man!  Wink

You see - there was no need to react indignant when we were shocked by your use of steel knives in your crafting. Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm

That is absolutely cool!   If I wanted to fashion a piece of bog iron into something, then I'd heat it and beat the impurities out of it as I formed it?  I wouldn't have to melt it down completely?  As you can tell, I know nothing about this but I'm curious.  Back in colonial times there was a big forge in The Pines, Batsto Village, in New Jersey.  It's sole purpose was to form the local bog iron, of which there's an inexhaustible supply, into mostly farming implements.  During The Revolution they made cannon balls and other weapons there.  Eventually, way out west in Pennsylvania, they discovered a better quality iron ore and Batsto went out of business.  It's a very interesting historical site now.  It would be fun to make something out of some bog iron like they did in olden times.
http://www.batstovillage.org/

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 5:10pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm:
... If I wanted to fashion a piece of bog iron into something... like they did in olden times.
http://www.batstovillage.org/

Heat 'n beat. Isn't that where wrought iron comes from? (I had to peek...nope)

It appears that a "bloomerie" or forge was established at any location where good grade bog iron, a sizable river and an abundance of timber for charcoal

... bog iron is transformed into wrought by melting in the bloomerie

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 7:25pm

Does anyone have some sort of plans to make a forge/foundry to melt aluminum? I want to male aluminum bars, but I'm not sure how to make a furnace thing.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 11:16pm

Et Cetera wrote on Jun 8th, 2010 at 7:25pm:
Does anyone have some sort of plans to make a forge/foundry to melt aluminum? I want to male aluminum bars, but I'm not sure how to make a furnace thing.

You'll need a different kind of furnace because pure aluminum melts a a lower temperature than iron. You might accidentally vaporize a small portion of the aluminum you are working with and cooling from too high a temperature could cause warping if you use a "real" iron furnace. I've melted aluminum foil in my backyard grill, which barely reaches high enough temperatures to temper most steels.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

First Firing of My Forge!
Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 11:11pm

Paleoarts wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 9:50am:
ooooh, what is this magical unbreakable shiny stone you are using?   Tongue

looks good, man!  Wink

Hee hee hee. Nope. I proved that the next day. Tried to pound a piece of rebar into a bodkin-style lance head. Vaporized half the cone. I quenched the remains, then just for kicks whacked them with my hammer. Stuff shattered like glass.

After that I grabbed a piece of round stock and spent the next couple of hours making a tang-style lance head. Don't have any pictures yet, but the results are much better.

And yes, I cheated after I got it beat 99% into shape and broke out the double-cut file and the disk grinder.

Incidentally, the edges on these blades were all roughed out by cold hammering. And more cold hammering, and more cold hammering.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Firing My Forge-It changes your perspective
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:25pm

A week or so ago we went to the Golden Spike monument in Utah, where the two halves of the Transcontinental Railroad met up. Everyone else is admiring the exact, fully functional replicas of the two engines. Me? I looked at the tender full of coal, and all I could think of was. . .

"Man! Could I pound a lot of steel with that!"

And Grandma got kind of lippy along the way. We worked out a solution though . . .

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 7:32pm

LOL  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:55pm

lol  Grin

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)