Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balearic Sling Specifics? (Read 8020 times)
Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Balearic Sling Specifics?
Jun 6th, 2010 at 1:34am

ok, this is really starting to bug me

just a few questions regarding the construction of a balearic sling

One, for a balearic sling, does it absolutely have to be made from esparto grass, or sisal, or can it be made from any natural fiber?

Two, do you absolutely need to have the leather, i feel like i have seen a few on the sight that lacked it

Three, would it be acceptable to add a few strands into the braid in order to make the pouch, or does it have to be folded and braided with twice the number of strands in the cords than the pouch?

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Re: Balearic Sling Specifics?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 3:27am

Cthulhu wrote on Jun 6th, 2010 at 1:34am:

just a few questions regarding the construction of a balearic sling

One, for a balearic sling, does it absolutely have to be made from esparto grass, or sisal, or can it be made from any natural fiber?

Two, do you absolutely need to have the leather, i feel like i have seen a few on the sight that lacked it

Three, would it be acceptable to add a few strands into the braid in order to make the pouch, or does it have to be folded and braided with twice the number of strands in the cords than the pouch?

Traditionally esparto and other natural fibers were used. From what I know, Sisal was introduced a bit later on. So from that I personally see no reason why you would absolutely have to use esparto/sisal. Personally, I have a half-way completed Balearic sling made from hemp lying around somewhere....

The leather doesn't seem essential, but it's probably a good idea, seeing how traditional slings made from loose fiber tend to take a long time to make. (I think I heard someone say it takes them upwards of 10-11 hours of work for each completed sling.) So naturally you're gonna try to make it last as long as you can. (Leather can be replaced much easier than worn fibers.)

I that it would be desirable to add additional strands as you near the pouch. All of my past attempts at the Balearic sling feature a big increase in strands beginning just before the pouch, and ending just after the pouch.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Pio
Descens

¡A cantazos!

Ciudad Real, Spain
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 5:04am

I don't know why is necesary to establish any rule. The Federació Balear de Tir de Fona (Balearic Federation of Slingers) do not have any about it in http://www.tirdefona.org/ "Technique" - "Confection" : http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/ferfona/00_Aferfona.htm nor in the "Normative".

In other places of Spain we add some strands to make the pouch. You can see my article http://slinging.org/index.php?page=la-honda-manchega-sling-in-la-mancha---pio-sa...: it is a sling quite similar to those in the Balearic Islands, and, sure, from the same tradition.

Desciñéronse las hondas y comenzaron a saludarle los oídos con piedras como el puño. (Miguel de Cervantes, El ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, I, cap. 18)

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 12:20pm

Hi,

I made my Sling out of Pita. But also jute goes well very much.

To the "letter" one must take fibers in addition.

If one has made it twice, it is not at all difficult.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 4:23pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouNR6djZy4&feature=related ; Watch that guy go, I don't think it takes him 11 hours, he is making a split pouch sling like what you describe, no leather though.  This is a wonderful video.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 4:57pm

Cthulhu, it all depends on what you want. If you want your Balearic sling to be traditional, try to follow Luis's vid. If you want to incorporate styles that you like, why not make a few changes? The sling might actually be better  Wink

I've been thinking of making a Balearic type sling. Mine will be made with 16 strands small diameter hemp, have a woven finger loop and round braids. Might even use yarn and plait over a hemp core  Undecided.  I spent most of today learning how to knot up a pouch instead of weaving one. Red splits with white <>'s.  Grin

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 8:20pm

LukeWebb wrote on Jun 6th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouNR6djZy4&feature=related  Watch that guy go, I don't think it takes him 11 hours, he is making a split pouch sling like what you describe, no leather though.  This is a wonderful video.

That is the man I was referring to. In a thread much like this made awhile back, someone was kind enough to translate portions of it. From what I remember, it said that he said it takes him roughly 10 hours of labor per sling made of sisal/pita. (Although I could be completely wrong)

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:10am

Oh, well maybe, it seemed from what I saw that he was burning along pretty good, and the kid would need a lot of patience to hand him fiber for 10 hours, but you may be right, I am sure there is more involved to finish it other than the braiding, like whipping, sewing leather on perhaps and waxing.  What amazed me is did you see all of those slings hanging up behind him?  I'm getting near that many myself, but I have sold 4 of them now.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 2:22am

I'm pretty sure they don't make a whole sling in one sitting. Not that it's any less cool and impressive.

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 3:23pm

It is interesting to read the Foners Balear mallorcaweb homepage in the link above.  For the competitions slings can be made from anything of vegetal or animal origin.  The only rule for the size and shape of the sling is a length limit of one meter folded.  
So, a little personal adjustment of the basic Balearic sling design should be okay Wink
timann

A link to the rules conserning among other stuff the slings... http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/normes/00_normesA.htm
It would be in chapter III
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2010 at 4:46pm by timann »  

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:10pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmssjG0ZABo&feature=related  There's a link to a short video of what I think is a balaeric style sling, it isn't a 5 strand braid though, I think it is just a 3 strand flat, not sure if it is cotton, it might be sisal but I think it looks kind of like cotton.  I just blew 14$ today on 2 big rolls of twine, one is the heavy jute, twice the width of what I normally use, I have been using the heavier stuff for weaving the pouches, but now I have more of it I will use it for a few slings too.  I also got a roll the same size of heavy sisal twice the normal width I get, (2 ply would you call it?,) and it seems like really tough stuff, it is would very tight so I am pleased with it.  I notice that some sisal is near white and some sisal is kind of an ivory or nut brown color.  I prefer the white stuff as I like to mix it with jute sometimes to make a pattern in the braid and it's best to have it closer to white as jute is brown.
 Here are some videos of Diego Camunas, I have just learned of him and it looks like he does some really wonderful work.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XENlaEIHTGI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouNR6djZy4&feature=related

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:31pm

On the number of Balearic Style slings I have made I Use Sisal, Jutte, Hemp, And recently a Silk bamboo blend. The first 3 work extremely well. The last one was to elastic for a sling and I sold it to a friend who wanted it for a costume.

None of my balearic style slings have leather on the pouch or the retention loop, all are holding up well.

On the pouch you can do it either way as long as it holds up.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:20am

do you absolutely need to have the leather, i feel like i have seen a few on the sight that lacked it

Luis Pons Livermore (current Menorcan slinging champion) said that the Balearic Islands typically don't have leather pouches but on the Mainland they do. I haven't seen a sling without the leather finger loop, but it is protective for rough fibers. If your sling doesn't rub blisters on your fingers it would be fine to go without. Personally, I use leather on my finger loop, but not the pouch.

Here is where my info comes from.

Grin I think this goes past the three smiley rule! Wink Jk.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy)