Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
US GI M1950 gasoline stove (Read 7995 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
US GI M1950 gasoline stove
May 27th, 2010 at 11:31am

This is a spotless unfired M1950 US Army surplus gasoline stove. It is tough as old boots and comes with loads of spare parts and a multi-wrench so it can be completely serviced on the field. I'm running  it on regular unleaded petrol which is a bit of a culture shock when you have grown up with paraffin stoves. It works well though:

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: US GI M1950 gasoline stove
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010 at 5:19pm

I was in the army in '64-'67, and we had those still!   Unfortunately, they wouldn't let us use them.   They were kept in storage so that they would look good for the Annual General Inspection....Or in case we went to war....

Instead, we had to go out and buy Sterno stoves or similar items from the PX to heat up our C-Rations.  (No MRIs back then!)

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2010 at 9:53am

Ooooh, nice gear!

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2010 at 11:45am

i've the got the civilian model made by Coleman in the 1980's and it's worked flawlessly for over 25 years. it'll run on gasoline or kerosene and kicks out a great flame that lasts forever. it's about half the actual size of the military model and fits nicely in my backpack. i use it all the time to heat straighten atlatl darts, singe fuzzies off of slings, and cook PPG. great little piece of kit! one thing yours has that i wish mine did, is the fold out wings on the burner. that's a good innovation.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2010 at 9:39pm

So that can burn the gasoline you get at the pump? I want one, looks nice. Currently I just have a few pop can alcohol stoves, but those are small. Where do you get these stoves, and how much would it put me out? Also, do they burn relatively clean?

PS- another site said this thing can use white gas, is that the stuff Coleman sells in the gallon tins? Would that work?
PPS- How heavy is it? Sorry about all the questions  Cheesy Embarrassed

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2010 at 2:08pm

In the US, white gas is the same as Coleman fuel. It it apparently quite hard to find these days, though. In the UK many people use naphtha 'panel wipe' sold in vehicle supply places. Its is the same stuff again, and very clean because it is used to degrease car bodies before painting.   

The M1950 was pricey, more so than a new Coleman stove, but it was the one I wanted so I coughed up. It has the advantage of being very maintainable, come with is own tool and spares included and the aluminum carry case as well, so if you added up the cost of the extras for the civvvy stove it would be about the same.

A civvvy Coleman stove has one big advantage, which is that the flame is controllable. You can turn it right down and simmer for food that needs long cooking. The military stove is full power all the time. You can make a metal disk to go between the burner and the pan to reduce the heat transfer rate, this get you a simmer but you are still using fuel at the full rate.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:22pm

Does it say somewhere on the stove who manufactured it?  I was active in the army from '75 to '78 and a lot of our gear was made by Coleman.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:17am

Rat Man wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:22pm:
Does it say somewhere on the stove who manufactured it?  I was active in the army from '75 to '78 and a lot of our gear was made by Coleman.  

Thats what the Fiesta mark is. They were made by several contractors over the years and should all be identical and interchangeable, but sometimes arent  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 8:59am

The gear we had worked perfectly and was virtually indestructible.  Though not deliberately abused, it was not treated gently.  Army surplus gear, even if it costs a bit more, is the way to go.  With just a bit of maintenance it'll last a lifetime.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)