Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
SHARK HUNT SUCCESS! WOOO HOOO! (Read 14496 times)
Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
SHARK HUNT SUCCESS! WOOO HOOO!
May 25th, 2010 at 8:50pm

as some of you already know i've been asked to be a guest on a new TV hunting show called 'Methods of Take'. the show highlights a different and unusual method of hunting each episode. they have two regular hosts/hunters and a guest 'expert' on the method in question who shows them how it's done and then all three go out and try to bag a specific game. afterwards, we all sit down in a restaraunt and talk about the hunt while a guest chef prepares our catch for us. my segment is going to be on my favorite weapon, the atlatl, and we'll be going for mako shark from a boat off the coast of southern California. although we will be using some modern gear, the producers were very keen on trying a primitive rig so i made these bone tipped harpoon darts. all four points are around 2 1/2'' to 3'' long and between 1/4'' and 3/8'' thick. they are attached to 20'' ash foreshafts which are in turn fitted into 6' 4'' tonkin cane mainshafts for an overall dart length of just over 8'. they will be fletchless, of course, and rigged so that after penetration both the foreshaft and mainshaft will seperate from the head and each other and trail behind on a line creating drag in the water. the rigging is done so that it is one continuous piece of line from the head all the way to the boat. the heads are designed to enter the shark and toggle sideways once tension is applied to the line. we are doing a test hunt this coming tuesday and the main hunt at the end of June. i have to admit i'm really phsyched about this and, for the record, my money is on either the 2nd or 3rd point from the left. Wink

Chris

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010 at 8:59am by Paleoarts »  

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Shark Darts
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010 at 8:53pm

nice points, i hear mako sharks are supposed to be good on tacos........

tell us how it goes Smiley

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010 at 10:55pm

my moneys on the 2nd from the left. Grin

mako teeth look like theyre too hook shaped for making koa's , but i wonder what else you could make with them

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2010 at 11:05pm

oh, i'm sure i'll figure something out  Wink

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2010 at 11:15pm

Those are awesome!   I would agree with the second from the left, it looks like it would penetrate good but has a good barb on it, and it looks very sharp! 
  Just one nit pick, is that paracord?  It is kind of too bad you don't use a natural fiber as you are representing the traditional angle.  Should probably keep my mouth shut though... Roll Eyes

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010 at 11:30pm

Those are beautiful. Bone right? How does the shaft attach to the line? I
Wanna do somethin like that for spearin carp. (Legal here). Fresh cut carp
Is first class bait for big channel cat. Sounds like a cool deal on the show.
So do you kill the shark before you drag him into the boat?Smiley good luck and
Happy hunting.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2010 at 11:33pm

haha! it is paracord, but that isn't what we're using. i just did that so you could see how they were attached. we'll be using a braided fishing line they use for marlin and other big game fish. i would use natural cord, but i don't feel like sitting down for three weeks hand rolling 40 yards yucca fibers!

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2010 at 1:18am

Sharks... to a desert boy like me, this is one of the main reasons I never joined the Navy.

Tried eating some once. It was a long time ago, but I remember I wasn't overly thrilled with it. Hope yours is better.

Will your episode be streamed on a website somewhere? I don't have cable or satellite, just high speed, and I really want to see it.

The points look great, by the way. Good hunting!

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2010 at 12:25am

I second that, will it?  If not someone get it on YOUTUBE.

Oh, and I guess your off the hook on the line your using.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:56pm

I've lived in New Jersey my whole life and love to eat all kinds of shark.  The trick is to clean them immediately and get the meat on ice.  The instant a shark dies it's innards begin to produce amonia, which will quickly make the meat taste horrible.  I always gut them as soon as they're landed.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I too would love to see this show.  It sounds like great fun!

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 7:43pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:56pm:
 The instant a shark dies it's innards begin to produce amonia, which will quickly make the meat taste horrible.  

The Icelandic people would disagree, their way of curing shark, and the resulting product makes most foreigners run for the hills. Very strong ammonia taste/smell I´m one of the weirdo´s who like it though....

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:33am

Speaking of Icelandic, did you see 20/20 this week?  An autistic sevaunt learned the entire (at least they led you to believe that, probably true,) Icelandic language in 7 days.  We can't even pronounce the name of the volcano erupting over there...

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: Shark Darts (test hunt today!)
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 2:35pm

well, it's finally here! the day i get to go out and try to kill a shark with an atlatl!  Cheesy here are the dart heads and rigs i've settled on for this hunt. the hand forged toggling steel head was made for me by a fellow paleoplanet member named Orien M.. the rest are bone tips, except for one conical antler point, all made by me. we're heading out of San Diego at about 3:00 pm PST. i'll be sure and get some pics up when and if we're successful.

Chris

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 3:33pm

hehe, is it going to be on the web? i gotta see this.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 7:26pm

I wouldn't want to be a shark in that part of the ocean...  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)