Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Printing on leather pouches? (Read 2212 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Printing on leather pouches?
May 17th, 2010 at 10:59am

Hey, does anyone know any special ways to put some sort of a print or and imprint onto a leather pouch?  I don't want to brand or press or burn it as I think that would weaken the pouch.  I was thinking it would be cool to some writing or a picture of an animal on it.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Printing on leather pouches?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:41am

you could probably make a stamp.

If you can draw then you could pick up a cheap pyrography pen, that would probably be the easiest. Hell you could print off a stencil and use that.

Yep I'd go with pyrography.
this kind of thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Lenk-L101KB-Woodworker-foots-Tool/dp/B000GAUVL2/ref=s...

works just as well on leather as on wood. Only burns the top layer of the leather so has no real effect on strength.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:32pm

in "a slign in 20 steps" the maker printed out a sticker with the design, then pasted it on top the leather. the sticker could then be peeled off after you're done.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:46pm

I do cartoons for a newspaper and portraits at a farmers market, so no problem with the drawing.  That might be worth giving a try, you could probably make one of those by jamming a nail in the end of a overheating gluegun...but I wouldn't try it.  I suppose you could just bind a long piece of coathanger wire and heat the other end in a fire, but I should look into getting one of those, I have never even tried wood burning for that matter, I suppose i could wood burn portraits...I do them in ink over pencil, so it would be just the same I guess, draw on with pencil then burn.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Centrifugal Sin

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2010 at 7:27pm

Make a prisoner's tattoo gun out of an electric toothbrush and guitar string. My friend was giving himself a tattoo with one but me, being the doodler, took one with India Ink to my leather sling pouch. It worked like a dream, and I put some practice in for my friend's tattoo!

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:15pm

I have never thought of a tattoo gun, I could probably make one of those that you describe too.  I don't know how they work, does it chew up the leather at all?

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Centrifugal Sin

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2010 at 12:43am

The perforations are thin, ,and you can tattoo the leather before kneading it with oil. Just make sure the leather has time to dry after the tattoo.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2010 at 10:26am

I don't know whether or not it would work on leather, since I have not tried it, but I have had some success using a laser printer indirectly to print on wood. I print a mirror image of what I want to put on the wood on my laser printer. Then by using a clothes iron, I transfer the image onto the wood. You don't need any fancy transfer paper, since the toner will melt with the heat of the iron, and if you press hard enough, it will transfer pretty well. The hard part is getting the whole image transferred without leaving any blank areas. I found it helped to press firmly with just the tip of the iron, and to go carefully over the whole image. It's also very important that you keep the paper from shifting or you will have a smeared mess. I would definitely recommend practicing it several times before using it on anything of value.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:18pm

I think my printer is only an inkjet, (laser printers are supposed to be dangerous I heard as they give off fumes,) but that sounds like an interesting Idea.  I will probably try and go out and get myself a  pyrography pen sometime.  I couldn't this time I was in town because I had to blow 70 bucks on a canopy for the market I sell at.  I also got a great woven belt at value village for 2$ that I unwove and will use for leather lacing.  I got some larger diameter jute too, and man is that worth it.  I can weave a split pouch in about half the time it took with the smaller stuff and it seems to be a much sturdier pouch.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Cervantes
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Houston TX
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2010 at 1:07pm

I was thinking of cutting a relief out in a triple layer Aussie pouch. 2 pics, one on both outer layers of material with a contrasting color for the center.
Haven't tried it yet, and I think the cords would have to be bound to the seat belt material differently than a typical Aussie sling as the material would be way thicker.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)