Rifled spin (Read 22291 times)
BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Re: Rifled spin
Reply #30 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 7:28am

Aussie wrote on Jun 4th, 2010 at 3:52am:
Every sling projectile spins in flight; it's an inevitable by product of the way it comes out of the pouch on release.

Unless you use your knuckle ball pouch!

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #31 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 11:23am

I found an American Football-like (honestly it was more like an oblong potatoe) stone, lately, slightly heavy, and used it to do a little test on the soccer field.  I used  figure8 for this. I found that rather small arm and hand position differences could produce all those spins we hear of, from the desired point first-spin, via all kinds of loop-sided spins, and up to those insane spins with the stone in a vertical position. 
I`ll need to perform more experiments before I know what this does for me Wink
timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:16pm

Today I brought a 41"er and some golf balls to the soccer field.  On the way I found this longish shaped stone and could continue the testing of the rifled spinn. 
The first shots with this sling and golf balls was horrible, but the stone made an incredible vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-sound  Cheesy.
Then things began to work itself out and the stone mostly stabilized itself for a nice point-first trajectory.  The main exeption was stone shot#3 where at some distance I spotted a fellow dog owner arriving (from a safe direction) and sendt the stone off without focus/consentration/zen and it flew off upright spinning around an vertical axis.  Cool but not what I wanted to see......

DSC00165_001.JPG (211 KB | )
DSC00165_001.JPG

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #33 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 12:17pm

The wing orientation on this baseball sling is designed for a rifled spin.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #34 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 12:18pm

This position is for backspin.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #35 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 1:55pm

It's simple,it's spinning clockwise:

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #36 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 2:51pm

Here's something I've noticed.  Until a few months ago I always believed that you had to load your oval shaped ammo perpendicular to (across) the pouch to achieve a rifled spin.  This doesn't appear to be true.  It seems that no matter what position I load my ammo in as long as my cords are in the proper position during release the ammo rights itself and I get the desired rifled spin.  Has anyone else noticed this?

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #37 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 9:05pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 2:51pm:
 Here's something I've noticed.  Until a few months ago I always believed that you had to load your oval shaped ammo perpendicular to (across) the pouch to achieve a rifled spin.  This doesn't appear to be true.  It seems that no matter what position I load my ammo in as long as my cords are in the proper position during release the ammo rights itself and I get the desired rifled spin.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Do you mean however it lies in the pouch, the ovoid ammo comes out toward the release cord but its major axis may actually be oriented away from the direction of flight? Is it possible the ovoid ammo rights itself in the pouch perpendicular to the cords from the force of the cast and then self aligns after release?             
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:26am by Thomas »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #38 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 7:42am

No, it can't right itself perpendicular to the cords in the pouch because my pouches are usually long, tapered, and deeply cupped.  Once I set an ovoid projectile in the pouch in line with the cords instead of perpendicular it sort of sits in a trough and can't move until release.  Try it with a long pj type pouch.  You'll see what I mean, Thomas.  I found it a little surprising.  I've always instructed people to place the ammo perpendicular and now I find that it doesn't matter.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:53pm

Rifling consistently was one of the few things I never could figure out until hearing RM, Aussie and a few others explain it. Sure does make a difference though.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:06pm

Why is this sidearm throw of a biconical is rifled point upwards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHMFSVZRMY

Uwe.png (908 KB | 43 )
Uwe.png

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:07pm

Oh nvm, it seems it starts upwards but then corrects itself point first.

uwe2.png (904 KB | 48 )
uwe2.png

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:09pm

These are bloody good videos David  Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #43 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 4:17pm

Jauke,

I noticed this too, recently!

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:06pm:
Why is this sidearm throw of a biconical is rifled point upwards?

It didn't used to be a problem for me, but I changed my form a bit. A lot of releases are actually not rifled with the axis of rotation oriented in the direction of travel, the axis is tilted up. It has to do with the wrist orientation.  Go through frame by frame in any of slinger's videos (pause and then use "<" or ">") and you can see that the way the wrist rolls through up until the throw makes the pouch need to yaw until it is oriented correctly. I seem to have changed the way I roll my wrist through ( I don't pronate the wrist as much as I used to), as well as the sling cords being less stiff, which doesn't allow the pouch enough time to yaw through to being straight on release, allowing for the correct orientation for rifling. Sorry if this is old news to everyone about the pouch rotation. It is something I always knew, but never thought about too much. I just always thought that I was getting the pouch to yaw the correct amount to achieve good rifling nearly every shot, I guess not.

I'm going to try a similar sling to what you did with the Y-sling, but backwards, 2 retention cords on the middle finger, to try and force the pouch to yaw sooner into the correct orientation.

00TiltedRelease.png (410 KB | 51 )
00TiltedRelease.png
00RifledRelease.png (703 KB | 44 )
00RifledRelease.png

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Jun 22nd, 2020 at 7:08am

I have one of these football shaped dog toys. The seam started to crack so now its reinforced with ducttape. It's a great tool for analysing sling spin on a biconical using different styles and grips, because tis so big its easily visible when thrown and how it flies.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris)