Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling as powerful as a .45 (Read 11556 times)
Cervantes
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Houston TX
Sling as powerful as a .45
May 14th, 2010 at 6:19pm

We need to get those egg heads from Mythbusters on the case. I'd like to see high speed film on lead gland hitting ballistics gelatin at full power by a more experienced slinger.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: Sling as powerful as a .45
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Already been done. Watch episode 1 of deadliest warrior, they fire a glande at a head.

Slings can achive energy levels of firearms, but this doesn't translate into deadlines. Bullets will almost always be more efficient killers.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2010 at 9:14pm

By throwing  a brick at you I can achieve "energy levels" ie kinetic energy, beyond that of a firearm. But itīs not a very good comparison. You canīt compare a sling with a .45.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2010 at 9:56pm

Quote:
By throwing  a brick at you I can achieve "energy levels" ie kinetic energy, beyond that of a firearm. But itīs not a very good comparison. You canīt compare a sling with a .45.

Have you used a long sling before?? If so, then you'll know that indeed it does compare pretty well.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2010 at 10:51am by Mr. Boss »  

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2010 at 10:10pm

that deadliest warrior test was horrible. that guy looked like he didn't know what he was doing, and he had a child sized sling. I am sure most of the people on here could throw that lead bullet faster than him. you may notice when it shows the bullet, it is already deformed from multiple throws. that is because he missed hundreds of times before he finally hit the wood target. he was not a good slinger. they said that the sling was inaccurate because that is what they expected, and there was no good slinger to prove them wrong. just watch other episodes of the show, you will notice that some of the tests are edited to show the results that they expect. the worst example is the "IRA vs Taliban" episode, during the reliability test of the AR-15 vs the AK-47. when the IRA guy is walking around shooting the targets, you can tell the muzzle flashes are animated in, and when he stops and says "it's jammed," you can see that his dust cover is closed, showing that he didn't even try to fire. it looks like they tried to make the AR-15 jam, but they couldn't do it, anyone with any experience with the rifle would just have used a bad mag to stage a jam. the show used computer generated muzzle flashes, dubbed gunfire noises, and a cooperative "tester"

I would never take anything seriously on that show.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Guys before we get all carried away, let's get a few things into perspective.

A sling is just a tool. It is not powerful or weak of itself, the power comes from the slinger although like all tools, a sling allows a person to use that power more effectively. So if we're making comparisons, who's the slinger?Is it Brian Grubbs, C-A or some old guy like me? Makes a huge difference.

With any gun the power is fixed by the nature and size of the weapon.

I looked up .45 cal on Wiki and the KE of different rounds varies from a min. of 356 ft.lbs to a max. of 544 ft.lbs.

Now a really good strong slinger just might sling a 5 oz stone at 70 m/s or 156 mph which gives a KE of 252 ft.lbs which is well under even the lowest power .45 cartridge.

A much more normal figure would be a 3 oz. stone at 40 m/sto give an energy of around 50 ft.lbs.

No slings are not firearms, but they can still be quite effective weapons in capable hands. Just accept them for what they are.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2010 at 10:24pm

No comparison. Considerring firearms "idiot wesapons" is quite
Disrepectful. IMHO. They are an art just like any other. A sling, bow,
Atlatl, or gun will not perform if proper respect is not paid to it's use.
While any "idiot" may be able to hit a man at 20 yards with a 45 not
Any idiot can make that weaspon perform to it's full potential. With a
Pistol and a well trained marksman the power ids awe inspiring. The
Ability to drop several individual in a matter of a few seconds comes into
Play.  And at the distance of 50 yards you'd better be a dang good marksman
To hit a man. How many of you who claim a 45 to be an idiot weapon have ever
Used one? At 20 yards being able to consistently hit your target requires
Discipline and practice. Just like the sling. While serviceable levels may be easier
To aquire with a firearm than with a sling experts are still experts. This requires
Years of diligent pracice.  I have no doubt that i could start with my 45 in holster
And draw, shoot, and drop before most slingers could wind up to throw in a
Standoff fight.  The energy levels of sling projectiles are truly impressive but
There are many reasons why we carry 45's instead of slings in combat.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2010 at 11:35pm

leadrocks wrote on May 14th, 2010 at 10:24pm:
I have no doubt that i could start with my 45 in holster and draw, shoot, and drop before most slingers could wind up to throw in a standoff fight.  .

Plus you'd hit your target repeatedly. The other downside of powerful sling throws is that already poor accuracy and the time between shots drops right off.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2010 at 1:16am

leadrocks wrote on May 14th, 2010 at 10:24pm:
Considering firearms "idiot weapons" is quite
Disrespectful. IMHO. They are an art just like any other.

Idiot weapon refers to the absolute minimum skill reqired to be able to shoot into massed targets and hit in the general vicinity of what you aim at. Guns, being a line of sight weapon (unlike slings) requiring no gross movement (unlike bows and atlatls) is the epitome of an idiot weapon. Any idiot can point a gun close enough to a target to hit within a couple meters at effective range. "Idiot" is in no way a reflection of the skill required to become proficient, good, or even a marksman. It also has no bearing on the maintenance required to keep the weapon in optimum condition.

As for energy levels, yes a glans has drastically lower terminal ballistics and the foot-pounds are less; but I'd bet that the stopping power and hydrostatic shock of a 2 oz lead glans and a .45 Colt at any distance outside of point blank range are comparable.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2010 at 7:32am

Mr. Boss wrote on May 14th, 2010 at 9:56pm:
Quote:

Have you used a long sling before?? If not, then you'll know that indeed it does compare pretty well.

Firstly I was talking about how the amount of kinetic energy a certain weapon/projectile generates  is by no means a good measure for its effectiveness, see the hand thrown brick example.
Secondly there are a lot of reasons why a long sling is a much less effective weapon than a .45 handgun, and they are so obvious that  discussion is hardly necessary....

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2010 at 11:50am

If you're comparing the amount of energy generated by each then a sling, in capable hands, measures up well to some firearms, like a 45.  If you're saying that you'd rather take a sling into battle than a 45 then you're both stupid and crazy.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Yea that would be a funny sight.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2010 at 3:54pm

A weapon is only an idiot weapon in the hands of an idiot. 

You pick up your idiot weapon .45 there and go have a shooting match with a navy seal, he'll make you look like an idiot all right.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2010 at 4:56pm

LukeWebb wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 3:54pm:
 A weapon is only an idiot weapon in the hands of an idiot.  

You pick up your idiot weapon .45 there and go have a shooting match with a navy seal, he'll make you look like an idiot all right.

That depends on who here you're talking to, but I agree with you in principle.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 15th, 2010 at 5:05pm

an idiot weapon is a phrase i coined to differentiate between a weapon that requires a lot of practice, time and skill and has no static aiming mechanism. And one that can be picked up and be used reasonably effectively, by any idiot, in a matter of days or even hours.

it does not indicate the mentality of the user.

slings are powerful and potentially deadly tools - in trained and praticed hands.
firearms are deadly in ANYONE'S hands.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)