Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling as powerful as a .45 (Read 11723 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Re: Sling as powerful as a .45
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2010 at 6:03pm

I'll throw my hat in with that.  What do you think jacks would do when thrown from a sling? I don't have any or I would try it, I suppose it is kind of a silly thing but it's a very different shape from a conventional ammo and due to its congruent weight for all sides it should fly straight.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #31 - May 16th, 2010 at 8:38pm

It is back to the question, which I admit I haven't seen well answered, of projectile velocity.

Thom Richardson (article on this site) slung at specialized equipment (for measuring the velocity of bullets), and got pretty low velocities (around 30 m/s)-- but admits that he didn't sling very well, and also that the difficulty of slinging  at the equipment kept his shot velocity

So higher than 32 m/s. But how much higher ? On YouTube, a guy seems to record 38 m/s. Here, people seem to think 45-50 m/s pretty easily reachable-- but often by measuring departure cracks and arrival smacks, which is not hugely reliable.

An experiment would probably be pretty easy to set up (filiming a slung projectile passing by two upright markers, for instance), but I haven't seen one yet (and apologies for not carrying one out myself). 70 m/s seems high. MrBoss's 111 m/s makes one wonder how it's measured; in any case, it does not represent the speed achieved by a man slinging with a "normal" length sling.

I would say:

40 g lead bullet
velocity at 50 m/s
50 joules

10 times less KE than a .45 (but probably still enough to penetrate the human body). Oh, sorry, I see Aussie's made this point already. I agree with him.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #32 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:23am

I understand your reservations regarding the Audacity method in that the sound of the sling may indeed occur a significant time interval after the proectile has left the pouch which would indeed give a higher than actual calculated velocity. All I can say is that I have cross-checked my own results by examining how far my slung tennis ball travelled between video frames and had excellent correlation. I am perfectly convinced that, in at least my case, the method gives very accurate results.

However I have thought about the problem and suggest the following correction technique be applied. Preferably using an observer, see how close you can get to your target wall you can get so the sound of the impact and the crack occur simultaneously. Assuming this distance is constant, you could deduct this from the normal distance to target when recording the sound interval for an actua velocity measurement. Try it! I would love to hear what results you get.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - May 17th, 2010 at 5:58am

I use 150 g of lead balls for the wide shooting. I shoot this with a Sling of silk and with a "run length" of 1 m.
How to me is own, I shoot with a retention Toggle.
Even observers are not to be seen in the situation these balls in the flight.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #34 - May 17th, 2010 at 8:27am

Thearos wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 8:38pm:
It is back to the question, which I admit I haven't seen well answered, of projectile velocity.

Thom Richardson (article on this site) slung at specialized equipment (for measuring the velocity of bullets), and got pretty low velocities (around 30 m/s)-- but admits that he didn't sling very well, and also that the difficulty of slinging  at the equipment kept his shot velocity

So higher than 32 m/s. But how much higher ? On YouTube, a guy seems to record 38 m/s. Here, people seem to think 45-50 m/s pretty easily reachable-- but often by measuring departure cracks and arrival smacks, which is not hugely reliable.

An experiment would probably be pretty easy to set up (filiming a slung projectile passing by two upright markers, for instance), but I haven't seen one yet (and apologies for not carrying one out myself). 70 m/s seems high. MrBoss's 111 m/s makes one wonder how it's measured; in any case, it does not represent the speed achieved by a man slinging with a "normal" length sling.

I would say:

40 g lead bullet
velocity at 50 m/s
50 joules

10 times less KE than a .45 (but probably still enough to penetrate the human body). Oh, sorry, I see Aussie's made this point already. I agree with him.

70-75m/s is about what I estimated Mr Bray needed for his world record throw. There has been no evidence to back a value of 111m/s by any contemporary slinger. I now think Mr Bray's throw may have been towards the lower end of those figures - it's a tricky matter of estimating the air resistance on the stone he threw, because this velocity is inferred from the distance he threw.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 17th, 2010 at 1:05pm

May I add that mrBoss also claimed pretty outrageous distances ( further than the current world record I remember), and those claims have  to my knowledge never been proven. I would take his claims considering sling speed with a grain of salt.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #36 - May 17th, 2010 at 7:52pm

No, I'm sure Id be able to break a world record. BUT, I don't have the $ money $ to get a plane ticket to got to Baldwin Lake in Cali, which would be the best place suitable for completing a world record because its a whopping 6700 ft above sea level and smooth surface. Unlike where I live, where its 600 ft above sea level which makes it a billion times harder because the air is thick like a BRICK WALL. Sooooo, yea.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2010 at 6:01am

Even without the cash to make that "necessary trip" you could give a demonstration under less ideal circumstances too demonstrate this alledgedly world record breaking talent. I seem to remember that board members in your area have offered to witness such an event, until then I stay sceptical. Donīt take it personal, but claims that you can break an actual world record donīt mean zilch until you back them up with some actual proof of such competence (like slinging near the world record without actually breaking it, f.i. under less than ideal circumstances).

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #38 - May 18th, 2010 at 6:26am

Mr. Boss wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 7:52pm:
No, I'm sure Id be able to break a world record. BUT, I don't have the $ money $ to get a plane ticket to got to Baldwin Lake in Cali, which would be the best place suitable for completing a world record because its a whopping 6700 ft above sea level and smooth surface. Unlike where I live, where its 600 ft above sea level which makes it a billion times harder because the air is thick like a BRICK WALL. Sooooo, yea.

You don't need to travel to California for starters, but what you should do is get independent, reliable, verifcation of what you can do at home. I, for one, would love to have confirmation that you can get even 300m. I suggest you arrange with your school principal or someone of equal standing in the community who would be prepared to sign an affadavit that he had witnessed your slinging and measured the distances thrown accurately with a GPS. It would silence any critics once and for all.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #39 - May 18th, 2010 at 10:52am

Who signs those??

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #40 - May 18th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Thearos wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 8:38pm:

I would say:

40 g lead bullet
velocity at 50 m/s
50 joules

Using the frame by frame method for meassurment, I reached an average of 40 meters per seccond at ten meters. Instead of using the sling crack as the release point, I freeezed framed the moment the rock leaves the pouch and started from there.

This was done with a 150 g rock however, not a small 40g glande. This gives about 120 joule, similar to a .22, but still way below a magnum.

Someone measured another of my shots in the sling vs. head video and came up with an average 45 meters per seccond at ten meters.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #41 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:20am

Mr. Boss wrote on May 18th, 2010 at 10:52am:
Who signs those??

Your legal system in the US will probably be a bit different than ours so you will have to do some investigation for yourself. Here a person who wants or needs to, can sign a 'statutory declaration' stating that something is true, which has the same weight in law as giving evidence in court (ie. you could be charged with perjury if the declaration is false) I'm sure you will have something similar.

If you were to get someone of standing in the community such as a school principal, police officer, medical practitioner, etc to witness you slinging and accurately describe the experiment and how they measured the distance there could be no argument. I suggest you use GPS as the units are now quite common and give a very high degree of certainty over so long a distance.

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #42 - May 19th, 2010 at 3:08pm

Here in the us i would find someone who is licensed as a notary.
All this means is that they have an official stamp that means they
Witnessed something to be legit.  They handle land and vehicle title
Transfers. Most tag agents are notaries. Many legal secrataries
And bankers carry the license. Get a reputable witness and a notary to
Stamp the affidavit, you should be good. Check with guinness to see
What it would take for them to accept it.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)