Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling as powerful as a .45 (Read 11746 times)
Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Re: Sling as powerful as a .45
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2010 at 5:38pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 5:05pm:
an idiot weapon is a phrase i coined to differentiate between a weapon that requires a lot of practice, time and skill and has no static aiming mechanism. And one that can be picked up and be used reasonably effectively, by any idiot, in a matter of days or even hours.

it does not indicate the mentality of the user.

slings are powerful and potentially deadly tools - in trained and praticed hands.
firearms are deadly in ANYONE'S hands.

Exactly. Its about minimum proficiency, and the term has shown up other places as well (probably a few founders). Firearms are deadly in the hands of a complete novice, and getting basic proficiency with them can be done in a few hours. Good luck pulling that off with a sling. Of course, in both cases, the well practiced have a huge advantage over the novices.

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #16 - May 15th, 2010 at 6:42pm

Fair enough. My apologies for the misconceptions. According to aussie's
Figures the sling still falls well under the amount of energy that the 45
Has.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #17 - May 15th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Yes, well I would be careful using that term to much.  If I took my slings to a sportsmans show and I called everyone elses things, (guns etc.) idiot weapons they would probably use them on me.  It also maybe doesn't look good (a little snobby,) for visitors on here to see you using that term as they might deem it insulting and it could blackmark slinging a little bit.  You would be best to find a term that would sound less insulting to someone who uses a gun, (not me, but someone.)  To say all guns are easy to use is not true either, some take much much training to operate properly, (like high tech sniper rifles,) and the effectiveness is relative of course, you can pick up a sling the first time and hurl a rock a long ways, you can pick up a gun the first time and fire it in the general direction of the target, you can pick up a sling everyday for 3 years and hit a wine bottle with a figure 8, you can pick up a gun everyday for 3 years and hit a penny thrown in the air.  And someone learning to use a more difficult weapon to learn to use can in fact be more dangerous than someone learning to use a less difficult weapon, it all depends on the person.

Anyway, this is off topic, and it could turn into an argument, so post a reply to this if you want and mum's the word. Wink

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #18 - May 15th, 2010 at 10:16pm

leadrocks wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 6:42pm:
Has.

Well, not necessarily. It is [u] possible [u/] to achieve the kinetic energy of a 45. but is difficult.

mv^2)/2= KE   75g=typical sling projectile weight   111m/s=accepted sling projectile velocity   1/2(.075kg)(111m/s)^2=460J   .22 caliber long rifle=190J, .45 caliber Automatic Colt Pistol=450J

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #19 - May 15th, 2010 at 11:03pm

The best comparison would be a .45 black powder gun, as it shoots a ball.  I'm not sure if a black powder flintlock would be as fast as a modern .45 so it might be a fairer comparison.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #20 - May 15th, 2010 at 11:14pm

A 45 blackpowder has considerably lower energy than a 45
Acp. I have one. It shoots a 143 grain lead ball at around 775-850 fps
And a 45 acp is 230 grain bullet at 950-1000fps.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #21 - May 16th, 2010 at 3:22am

My dad has one he bought but he has never shot it, (has the blackpowder and balls though,) his is a shotgun though, but it can fire the solid ball as well.  That would be a better comparison to a sling as a black powder gun does a different sort of damage from a modern weapon, much more bone crunching shock power as you would get with a sling and less on the penetration.  Though the blackpowder is still a more powerful piece of kit in my opinion, a sling can load considerably faster than any variety, (matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, etc.) of black powder gun, so in a way it could be an advantage, what do you think, perhaps more than a 3-1 faster rate of fire for a sling than a flintlock?

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #22 - May 16th, 2010 at 4:10am

Mr. Boss wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 10:16pm:
leadrocks wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 6:42pm:
Has.

Well, not necessarily. It is [u] possible [u/] to achieve the kinetic energy of a 45. but is difficult.

mv^2)/2= KE   75g=typical sling projectile weight   111m/s=accepted sling projectile velocity   1/2(.075kg)(111m/s)^2=460J   .22 caliber long rifle=190J, .45 caliber Automatic Colt Pistol=450J

To be fair the assertion is not that a sling is as effective a defensive weapon as a .45 cal pistol, only that a sling stone could have the same kinetic energy as a bullet fired from such a pistol. I doubt anyone would seriously suggest that a slinger with no cover could successfully defend himself against a gunman armed with a .45 or realistically any pistol.

As you say it is possible, in that it is not beyond the bounds of human capability, like running a sub 10 sec 100m or even a 2hr 10min marathon. BUT there would be very few people who could actually do it.

You are obviously familiar with the kinetic energy formula. Here's the formula for centripetal force:-    F = mv^2/r

Figures you quote are, mass of 75g (a bit less than 3 oz.) and a slinging speed of 111 m/s (almost 250 mph). You use an exceptionally long sling of 2m and with your arm outstretched will give you an efective radius of somwhere around 3m.

Plug those into the formula and you'll find the centripetal force, ie. the pull of the cords is 308 N (almost 70 lbs) and that is a minimum assuming 100% efficiency with no allowance for the tremendous wind drag that a sling going so fast will generate. The real force will likely be closer to 100 lbs. All of which your little pinkies have to hold with only a loop and a release knot and then  release with superbly precise timing. Are you sure you can really do that? I'll bet there are some that could but they would be rare.

So the assertion may be theoretically correct but in reality is very rarely attainable.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #23 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:17am

I didn't actually post the formula btw, it was from another member a long time ago. And yes I agree.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #24 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:18am

I wonder if there is any record of the use of slings be used in the american civil war?  If not to hurl glandes or stones but to throw some sort of incendiary or explosive?
  Oh, and in this comparison are we talking about slinging a .45 caliber lead glande from the sling as well?

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - May 16th, 2010 at 1:17pm

A Sling was still on 200 m and, in addition, very efficiently.
And to compare a caliber 45 to one of a Sling is not especially clever.
In Palestina one can see even today what for damage Slings arrange. Soldiers thereby die. And a Sling is also in skilled children a hand a deadly weapon. It is to be thought wrong which takes down the effect from the protection alone. The Slingen uses a physical effect. A little bit what is often wrong recognised.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2010 at 1:32pm

LukeWebb wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 11:18am:
 I wonder if there is any record of the use of slings be used in the american civil war?  If not to hurl glandes or stones but to throw some sort of incendiary or explosive?
 Oh, and in this comparison are we talking about slinging a .45 caliber lead glande from the sling as well?

45. caliber gland would be way too light to even get the sling going.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #27 - May 16th, 2010 at 3:49pm

I am having difficulty trying to understand the need to compare the sling with firearms. We all know that slings can generate a lot of power. There really is no need to try and classify them on the same level as firearms. Do archers strive to create bows at home that can rival the firepower of tanks. Its a dumb argument just have fun with it. Besides boasting about the power could have negative affects.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #28 - May 16th, 2010 at 4:20pm

dork wrote on May 16th, 2010 at 3:49pm:
I am having difficulty trying to understand the need to compare the sling with firearms. We all know that slings can generate a lot of power. There really is no need to try and classify them on the same level as firearms. Do archers strive to create bows at home that can rival the firepower of tanks. Its a dumb argument just have fun with it. Besides boasting about the power could have negative affects.

Exactly what I think.

Nobody here needs to be convinced that a sling can be a very powerful and dangerous weapon in the right (or wrong) hands. That's all I need to know.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #29 - May 16th, 2010 at 4:52pm

Hear, hear!

This question comes up about twice a year. Never been much new to say about it since the original thread (CanDo I think - where did he get to?)

And there's nothing generally accepted about a velocity of 111m/s. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I would be surprised if anyone here (long slings or not) gets anywhere near that. There might be one or two that get to 70m/s, and that more than halves the K.E. estimates from 111m/s.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick)