Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
bow vs atlatl - whats deadlier? (Read 27681 times)
Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

bow vs atlatl - whats deadlier?
May 9th, 2010 at 10:15am

What do you guy think? which one would you be more scared of in a fight?
a short stick thats hurling 8 feet darts are your head, or an english longbow bow shooting 1-2ft whistling arrows at your head?
i think its a draw, both are murderous, seeing as atlatl's took on mammoths, and the english longbow reportedly shot through 6 inches of an oak door at 200 yrds.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: bow vs atlatl - whats deadlier?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:41am

Bow, because the guy shooting at me would have more arrows than darts, and more retries if he misses!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2010 at 10:55am

there's no question that, in a general sense, the bow is the more efficient weapon, but people greatly underestimate the atlatl both in accuracy and power. just a couple of weeks ago i and several other atlatlists proved just how close the two actually are by competing alongside several hundred archers in a rigorous 50 target 3D course. we not only held our own but out did a good portion of them. here's a link to some pics of that weekend...http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/34873

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2010 at 11:46am

also bear in kind that mammoths were hunted with altatls not bows Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2010 at 11:47am

Any culture that developed the bow abandoned the atlatl.    As Paleoarts says, it's just a more efficient weapon.
That being said, I wouldn't want to take a hit from an atlatl dart....The heavy shaft would drive a flint or obsidian point deep.

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 11:46am:
also bear in kind that mammoths were hunted with altatls not bows Smiley

Isn't that more because the mammoth predates the bow? Wink
I have no doubt that a bow would kill a mammoth.
Haven't found one around to try it on yet but
I'll let you know when I do. I do however have
A dvd where fred bear shoots an elephant with a 75
Pound recurve. The arrow buries just almost to the nock side
Of the fletching into the beast. Fred bear's broadheads
Were designed to do maximum damage but that limited penetration
Somewhat. The atlatl is still an amazingly effective weapon though.
The difference in construction time too. Atlatl and dart: one hour.
Good bow and arrow: at least a day if you already have dry wood.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:11pm

I would rather my opponent had an atlatl; we are at least 60 feet apart and I get to fight back using my long bow Wink

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:15pm

you're not safe from the atlatl at 60 ft. several of us were hitting targets consistantly at 40-50 yards during that competition.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:26pm

Paleoarts wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 12:15pm:
you're not safe from the atlatl at 60 ft. several of us were hitting targets consistantly at 40-50 yards during that competition.

Paleo, wasn't thinking the shooter couldn't hit. Was thinking the darts have slowed enough to dodge 'em. But remember, Woonilsra called this a fight. I get to shoot too! I'm using my long bow and at 60+ feet there will be two arrows in the air.  Grin

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #9 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:37pm

The Bow took over from the Atlatl so logically the Bow is deadlier. Also, the Bow is a longer range weapon and generally more accurate too.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:48pm

again, i think you guys are underestimating the atlatl. i can load and throw darts accurately just as fast or faster than most archers can knock and fire arrows. Tom Mills and i proved this at the competition. they had a timed shoot and we were able to get off around ten to twelve aimed darts in twenty seconds compared to the experienced archers in our group who averaged only six to eight.

also, for the average bow of 35-45 lbs, the range is about the same but the atlatl dart has a definite advantage in penetrating power. it isn't until you see the atlatl in the hands of an experienced user that you really begin to appreciate its effectivness. i will conceed that the bow overall is more effective, but the race is a lot closer than some of you might imagine.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #11 - May 9th, 2010 at 12:52pm

walter wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 12:26pm:
Paleo, wasn't thinking the shooter couldn't hit. Was thinking the darts have slowed enough to dodge 'em. But remember, Woonilsra called this a fight. I get to shoot too! I'm using my long bow and at 60+ feet there will be two arrows in the air.  Grin

walter

trust me, you can't dodge an atlatl dart any easier than you can an arrow. at 100fps+ they are coming at you fast!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - May 9th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Wild guess, but if bow and arrow technology improved, and the mammoths, woolly rhino`s and other HUGE pray that "required" atlatl`s went extinct, and maybe the forests grew denser, it`s not all that strange the  bow and arrow became what most people preferred.
I know what I would prefer to carry around Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #13 - May 9th, 2010 at 1:29pm

If after bunnies at 40 yards bow; mega fauna at 20 yards atlatl. Bow is a much longer ranged weapon.
while I was still shooting I was consistently able to hit a torso type of target at 100 yards on an indoor range. It wasn't a small group by any means but most arrows were in the torso.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2010 at 2:48pm

Paleoarts wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 12:52pm:
walter wrote on May 9th, 2010 at 12:26pm:
Paleo, wasn't thinking the shooter couldn't hit. Was thinking the darts have slowed enough to dodge 'em. But remember, Woonilsra called this a fight. I get to shoot too! I'm using my long bow and at 60+ feet there will be two arrows in the air.  Grin

walter

trust me, you can't dodge an atlatl dart any easier than you can an arrow. at 100fps+ they are coming at you fast!

I do trust your info on atlatls Grin After I posted about dodging darts and putting a couple arrows in the air before the first hit, I realized you probably could do better than that. Especially with what I call your auto loader atlatls. The style with a groove all the way to the spur.

Had no idea darts travel 100+. Figured that by sixty feet, they would be slowing way down.

My one great hope here is that I'm not fighting with one of the worlds best atlatlists Grin as i'm still putting my faith in the longbow.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris)