Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Apache Pouch question (easy one) (Read 4406 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Apache Pouch question (easy one)
May 5th, 2010 at 1:51am

Hey, on an apache sling, which side of the pouch does the ammo go in?  I am assuming it is the side with the braid on it, as that seems to be the natural way and the way I have been making them.   I just made 2 and have soaked the pouches in water, then placed a golfball tightly inside, (small pouches,) then I took a piece of string and tied the pouches closed across the cords causing the ball inside to bulge out the bottom of the pouch.  Should cup it nicely, never done this before, I have been making mainly braided/woven slings but since I cut up that leather purse I have had some really nice brown leather for slings.  I figure from one average size purse that I got I can make well over 10 average sized pouches + enough leather lacing from the shoulder strap for perhaps 2-3 leather laced pouches.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Apache Pouch question (easy one)
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2010 at 2:34am

Sorry, but it is usually thought that the leather should be betveen the ammo and the hemp.  Well, I really hope it is.
For shaping mine I have just dampened the pouch and left it tied around a tennis ball.  This is although my pouches is not big either. But it give them the shape I want.
timann

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2010 at 4:32am

Not sure what you mean... the way I am doing it is I am sewing the pouch on by going through the leather pouch only once per stitch, making the stitching go around the edge.  Thus I am ending up with the split braid on one side and solid leather and stitching on the other.  It seems to work best with the stone in the braid side...wondering if that's right is all.
  Here's a quote from L. W. Foryth's apache sling tutorial: " The leather should end up slightly larger than the split opening. The 3-braid cords should lay on the outside of the pouch."  I think he means what I mean, I'm just not sure.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 8:56am

I make my Apache slings like timann describes - braids under the pouch and not between the projectile and the pouch leather.

I don't usually "cup" the leather, however, or if, only very slightly and non-intentionally when the pouch leather is a bit larger than the oval built by the two pouch braids.

Don't know which way is "right" - maybe both - but braids downwards just feels "correct" to me.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:14am

LukeWebb wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 4:32am:
 Not sure what you mean... the way I am doing it is I am sewing the pouch on by going through the leather pouch only once per stitch, making the stitching go around the edge.  Thus I am ending up with the split braid on one side and solid leather and stitching on the other.  It seems to work best with the stone in the braid side...wondering if that's right is all.
 Here's a quote from L. W. Foryth's apache sling tutorial: " The leather should end up slightly larger than the split opening. The 3-braid cords should lay on the outside of the pouch."  I think he means what I mean, I'm just not sure.

The outside of the pouch is not the side that the projectile rests on (assuming that he doesn't mean the rim of the pouch).

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 11:30am

I just went here http://www.paleoarts.net/slings.html and all of paleoarts slings look like they have the braid on the inside.  Perhaps either is acceptable.  I have used less well made ones of mine and I notice that if the braid is on the bottom of the pouch the leather tends to want to pull through toward the inside of the braiding, the other way the stitching holds it much nicer.  It's no problem either way though, I cupped them last night, (the work great too by the way, both are golf ballers,) and if I have to make the cup the other way I can just turn it inside out.  It's interesting when you use a golfball to form it, because of the dimples and the wet pouch it leaves a snakeskin imprint.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 12:01pm

The leather goes on top of the braid for me. What is the point of sewing leather onto your sling only to not use it?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010 at 3:30pm

LukeWebb wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 11:30am:
I just went here http://www.paleoarts.net/slings.html and all of paleoarts slings look like they have the braid on the inside.  Perhaps either is acceptable.  I have used less well made ones of mine and I notice that if the braid is on the bottom of the pouch the leather tends to want to pull through toward the inside of the braiding, the other way the stitching holds it much nicer.  It's no problem either way though, I cupped them last night, (the work great too by the way, both are golf ballers,) and if I have to make the cup the other way I can just turn it inside out.  It's interesting when you use a golfball to form it, because of the dimples and the wet pouch it leaves a snakeskin imprint.

PA's pouches are of seperate construction, which are then whipped onto the center pouch. see the FAQ for the instructions.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2010 at 5:16pm

Hmmm, perhaps I am mistaken then.  All the pictures I have seen of apache slings though are of the sling folded in half, or curled on the inside is the braid.  I can't seem to find any pictures of a loaded one though.  What I noticed though is that if you apply downward pressure to the side of the pouch with the leather (side opposite the 2 braids,) then the leather pulls towards the middle of the sling, sliding along the lacing, and doesn't look good for the sling.  When I put downward pressure on the braid side, the stitching actually tightens on the pouch, keeping it where it is, plus the stitching kind of acts as a rim keeping the object in there better.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Luke, I've never made an Apache sling but I traded a with a couple of the guys for a few.  I assumed that they're loaded the way that you describe.  It just seems right.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2010 at 8:35pm

I just found a picture of one loaded on the leather side... so now I am totally confused.  You can just flip the cup of the pouch by pushing on it so it bulges out one side or the other, so I guess you can just do what you will.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:09pm

You could use it either way, but I always put the braids on the outside (away from the projectile) to keep from wearing through the cords.  I pretty much use the apache slings exclusively, and even using the leather side toward the projectile, I still wear out the lacing that sticks through the leather after a year or so.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)