Send Topic Print
Way to go Brits! (Read 4967 times)
BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Way to go Brits!
May 3rd, 2010 at 6:34pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2956579/Sniper-Crai...

Freakin' outstanding!  There's a man that will never have to buy his own drinks in any military bar ever again.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Re: Way to go Brits!
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:08pm

When I first saw this thread, I thought, "oh, no... the Brits have probably won another soccer (football...) game again..."  But no!  I can't pretend to know a lot about this stuff, big guns and what, but I certanly know enough to see that those were amazing shots.

Good work to all the troops out there!  My thanks is not enough for what you do for us

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:25pm

That is an amazing shot!! I can just barely hit a target at 1000yds, so I really can appreciate the difficulty involved. Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:32pm

lucky shot, at least it saved lives

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:36pm

You don't get lucky 3 times in a row. That was one helluva accurate spotter!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Grayorchid
Descens

With a leatherman and
a sling, what cant be
done?

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2010 at 11:36pm

The previous record was made using a 12.7mm (.50 cal) round, an old standby that is used everywhere for everything.  These spectacular shots were made with the 8.6x70mm round (.338) which is a reciently designed cartridge made for picking off humans at a range where infanty rifles cant guarentee a hit, let alone a clean kill, but these shots went far beyond anything that the engineers intended.   The cartridge has only been in use for the past 10 years or so.  So this feat of marksmanship not only brings a badge of pride to the shooter and all squaddies by association,  but also to the engineers who've designed this rifle and cartridge. 

Spectacular.

A lonesome rock in an open space is a noble enough throne for any kings rump.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2010 at 12:41pm

The previous record was set using the proprietary CheyTac .408 round, designed to be an intermediary between the .50BMG and .338 Lapua. First use for Lapua rounds was in Operation Desert Storm (right around the time of my birth.) .50BMG is really more of an anti-material round, good for taking out engine blocks and such from a distance, while the Lapua round and .408 CheyTac are anti-infantry exclusive, but man those distances are extraordinary!

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2010 at 12:47pm

WTG Craig Harrison.  God bless all of our heros.

IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

All over SouthCentral Alaska
Reply #8 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:00pm

How did the Canadian who use to hold the record take this news....? That has not to of been a very pretty site.

If you can't find 'em grind 'em!
wolf197  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:19pm

I imagine it went something like: "Well... At least my round is bigger."

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:32pm

I don't know how many things the Canadian got, but the British guy got three shots in, what defence does the Canadian have against that? Another day another ego broken. One of the worsts pains.

wolf197  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:36pm

wolf197 wrote on May 4th, 2010 at 8:32pm:
I don't know how many things the Canadian got, but the British guy got three shots in, what defence does the Canadian have against that? Another day another ego broken. One of the worsts pains.

Did you actually type "things" or was your actual post corrected by the forum software?

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:24pm

I typed things. I'm not proofreading what I type and I'm tired so all this adds up lol.

wolf197  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:42pm

Wow, that's pretty far.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 7th, 2010 at 5:41pm

2.5km - now that is serious shooting.

But hey, the british army is the best - so no real surprise Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)