Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kubatons, anyone? (Read 6285 times)
SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Kubatons, anyone?
Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:13pm

Before I got into slinging I was really interested in these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

The idea is so simple you could virtually use anything small, blunt and sturdy as one. The first one I made (went missing a few months ago) was made out of a rod of some random, sturdy plastic I found in my house. Hooked it up to my drill, used it as a lathe and started going into it with a chisel and a few files. It came to a blunt tip and had a nice finger notch.

The one pictured below is made out of 1/2" steel rod, with two wide-angle tips (very painful) and wrapped in nylon for grip. I always carry it on me, but have never needed to use it.

Anyone else had experience with kubatons?

snapshot.jpg (24 KB | )
snapshot.jpg

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Kubatons, anyone?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:50pm

Some Law Enforcement Personnel ...will look at that and say weapon .... I prefer a miniature mag-light style flashlight as a carry instrument for generating localized pain ( it does not look very martial and perception is all ).

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:05am

A. I do have experience, I made a "totem" with a bear claw carved into it which was really just a miniaturized tonfa that I disguised. Works great for stabilizing my fist and the little stick poking out between my fingers was excellent for pain compliance. I'm with Steven on perception, though The impact kerambit would be hard to disguise I'm thinking about getting one. Where I live right now it's dangerous at night. I need something to even the odds (in my favor) in a fight, and a loaded fist in a fight isn't a felony like a knife is. Even though I always have a knife I'll never use it on someone.

B. Kubotan is the correct spelling, it's really counter intuitive. Even though it seems like Kubaton would mean a kind of baton the name is actually not related.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:05am:
B. Kubotan is the correct spelling, it's really counter intuitive. Even though it seems like Kubaton would mean a kind of baton the name is actually not related.

Ah, that's how I usually pronounced it, just didn't catch my spelling error.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 7:35pm

No problem, dude.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

All over SouthCentral Alaska
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:34pm

That looks painfull. Do you just hold it in your fist and jab it at some one?

If you can't find 'em grind 'em!
wolf197  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:42pm

These fall under a whole category of short stick weapons that are used in several different styles.   The Japanese call them Yawara Sticks, or "kongo", and there's an equivalent in the Filipino systems as well.
I recall reading years ago that some Yawara schools use much heavier weighted items.
Mostly, they are used for striking, either in hammer-fist mode or thrusting; the idea being to concentrate force on a small area.

The "kubotan" was actually developed by a Western law enforcement officer, as I recall, and he tended to use it more as a pain-compliance device by exerting pressure against pressure points.

I had one years ago, only used it once with poor results.  I had a resisting drunk who was preventing me from closing the door of the squad car...He kept kicking it as I tried to close it.   I whacked him on the ankle bone with the thing, which should have been excruciating.  He didn't react at all....

IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

All over SouthCentral Alaska
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:52pm

I see. I wonder if it is used in Eskrima... That being one of the few fighting styles I want to learn.....

If you can't find 'em grind 'em!
wolf197  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #8 - May 1st, 2010 at 10:38am

Yes, as I mentioned.   Danny Inosanto's book, The Filipino Martial Arts, shows several 6-inch or so sticks.

IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2010 at 3:38pm

Bikewer wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:42pm:
These fall under a whole category of short stick weapons that are used in several different styles.   The Japanese call them Yawara Sticks, or "kongo", and there's an equivalent in the Filipino systems as well.
I recall reading years ago that some Yawara schools use much heavier weighted items.
Mostly, they are used for striking, either in hammer-fist mode or thrusting; the idea being to concentrate force on a small area.

The "kubotan" was actually developed by a Western law enforcement officer, as I recall, and he tended to use it more as a pain-compliance device by exerting pressure against pressure points.

I had one years ago, only used it once with poor results.  I had a resisting drunk who was preventing me from closing the door of the squad car...He kept kicking it as I tried to close it.   I whacked him on the ankle bone with the thing, which should have been excruciating.  He didn't react at all....

Huh, that's kind of disheartening. What shape was the tip?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:47pm

as soon as i get paracord i'm going to make a paracord Kubaton.

if your wondering, the Kubaton is made with either a box weave or a Crown (round) sinnet. both are pretty similar. you then soak the Kubaton in glue twice, to harden it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:48pm

Bikewer wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:42pm:

well if he's drunk or high, he's probably not going to be able to feel anything until the next day, and then that would be a boiling stomach and headache.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2010 at 6:55am

all well and good - but a hard kick in the crotch even works on drunks Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2010 at 7:07am

Male Drunks. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2010 at 11:26pm

xxkid123 wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 4:47pm:
as soon as i get paracord i'm going to make a paracord Kubaton.

if your wondering, the Kubaton is made with either a box weave or a Crown (round) sinnet. both are pretty similar. you then soak the Kubaton in glue twice, to harden it.

Heh, that sounds pretty interesting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)