Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Scarf Joint Tutorial
Apr 28th, 2010 at 7:00pm

i hear this a lot. "i made an atlatl but i can't find any dart material longer than 4'."  well, here's a super easy way to join two pieces of wood, dowel, sapling, etc... together with a minimum of tools, materials, and effort. if done properly it will create a joint as strong or stronger than the surrounding material. here's what you'll need...

4 nails
a board
a saw (miter, dovetail, hack, or anything with small teeth and enough length)
glue (optional)
a wrap of some sorts (artificial sinew works best but just about anything will do)

we start by laying our first dowel rod on a board and bracketing it with two nails. make sure that the nails are straight up and tight to the sides of the dowel.

next, we lay our saw on top of the dowel with the edge closest to us against the nail that is closest to us. using this nail as a pivot point, we swing the saw blade out until we have the angle we want. for a good scarf joint we want at least 3-4'' of 'face' (the cut area). once we have the angle, we take a third nail and slide it along the dowel until it intersects the dowel and the saw blade. we drive it in and put a fourth nail on the opposite side making sure to keep them snug against the dowel and pointing straight up.

our dowel should now be nice and snug and our nails placed at the proper distance to act as our saw jig. now we cut. make sure the dowel doesn't roll during the cutting process.

after the cut on the first dowel simply slide it out from between the nails and slip the second dowel in and cut it as well. you should end up with two dowels with matching cut angles like this. feel free to touch them up with some sand paper or a fine file.

after dry-fitting them together to check that we have a proper straight fit, we can now apply a little glue. although this isn't absolutely needed it does make for a super strong joint.

now for the wrap. starting at one end about 1/4'' outside of the cut, we wrap tightly until we are about 1/4'' inside the cut, then we switch to a broad spiral that takes us all the way across.

stopping 1/4'' outside the cut, we reverse and, wrapping very tightly, we make our way back until the entire cut is covered. whipping at the end to hide the excess.

if using glue, give it at least 1/2 hour to dry and then we're good to go!

a few notes: if joining a long piece and a short piece together (preferable), make sure the short piece is the front of your dart. if you're joining pieces of differing diameters, then use the larger one up front (shorter piece) and the thinner one for the back (longer piece).

i hope this helps convince some of you to make your own atlatl darts. good luck!  Cheesy

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Scarf Joint Tutorial
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 8:23pm

I know of a slightly different way to do this:

Lash 2 dowels together at 2 points and use a hacksaw to cut at an angle between the two lashings. When both dowels are cut at the same time they have the same angle, and it doesn't need a stand made from the board and nails.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 9:53pm

yeah, i posted that one a long time ago but, for whatever reason, some people still had a hard time grasping the concept. this is actually my prefered method.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:31am

I've gotta try that out, I don't have enough atlatl darts.  Need to make a new atlatl as well, your pictures are inspiring me!

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:42am

I learned about scarf joints making cigar-box guitars.  It's an easy way to make an angled headstock to get proper string tension over the nut.

This is also the basic technique (slightly more complicated) for making "footed" arrows.  That's arrows which have a section of hardwood grafted onto the front third or so.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 3:37pm

i just took a knife to the dowell rods and carved angle, and made the two rods angle  enough to fit together under a paper tube.
of coruse i only did this 3 times, since im at a pause in my atlatl constructions for a bit, so might not be that good

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:56pm

They can also be locked scarf joints with no glue required. in the center of each scarf face carve a small divot 1/2 of a bb or bit of gravel deep. place two halves together with locking bb/gravel in the middle and wrap with string ... darts can then be broken down for travel and then reassembled on site.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:34am

good tip, Steven!  Wink

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2010 at 8:53pm

i don't think you even need the pebble or bb, i just shoved the two halfs in the scarf together and it worked fine, wood, paper, sting, nothing else

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2010 at 9:48pm

how well would scarved 1/8 diameter dowels work for atlatl darts? they have almost no flex as far as i can see by eye and feel.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2010 at 3:12am

too thin. and you want flex.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2010 at 7:33am

Woonilsra wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 8:53pm:
i don't think you even need the pebble or bb, i just shoved the two halfs in the scarf together and it worked fine, wood, paper, sting, nothing else

The pebble is to keep the two halves locked together when you need a firm/hard pull to remove the dart from the target.
You need a long scarf... 10/1 or more ... pebble doesn't lock the halves very well with short scarf.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:00am

Nice tutorial! Where do you get your artificial sinew?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2010 at 1:49pm

bet it's not artificial Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2010 at 6:35pm

im thinking the animal just helped paleo make twenty new weapons (and tasty meat)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)