Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Distances, again (Read 5874 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Distances, again
Apr 17th, 2010 at 6:30pm

A while back, a long discussion about ranges.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1261017701/0

I quoted an article based on reliably recorded distances in the Andes-- on average 50 m for women, 80m for men

http://pennstate.academia.edu/documents/0010/4106/brown_vega_craig2009_slings.pd...

I therefore argued, since these are reliable figures and very good, experienced slingers, for an "Andean" paradigm, where real slingers in sling cultures fought with slings at <100m ranges, rather than the 150+ m range which is usually assumed and which corresponds to anecdotical evidence by modern recreational slingers.

However, I note that this site has photos which must come from that experiment:

http://slinging.org/index.php?mact=Album,m5,default,1&m5albumid=26&m5returnid=53...

Photos by Vega and Craig. I think curious_aardvark drew attention to them when he posted, and Jaegoor recently pointed out to me the excellent, controlled technique of these guys. Now what struck me is that these slingers are shootings at very flat angles: this is just how they sling, straight ahead-- probably because they want to hit things. In other words, they sling on flat, "point blank" trajectories, and not for distance-- the archaeologists told them to sling as they always sling, and the Peruvian slingers let rip powerful shots straight ahead. If this is right, then this accounts for the short distances recorded: not distance shooting, but 50 / 80 9and even 100) m of straight shooting is in fact very impressive, and implies that if these slingers were shooting at 45 degree angles  (let's call this "war slinging", as you would sling in a siege or a pitched battle), they could reach the 150+ mark easily.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Distances, again
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 8:14pm

I think you must be right. 

Slingers at war and slingers fighting/hunting solo would have different trajectory.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 1:13am

Very interesting, Thearos. I also have wondered whether there was some simple misunderstanding between the researcers and the subjects that led them to sling such short distances.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:40am

Makes sense.  Good post Thearos!

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 7:48pm

I suppose in the ancient world (say 1000 BC-AD 300), people fought with slings in two ways:

-- slinging at formed-up bodies of men. The target is unmissable, and shootings takes place at extreme ranges (150-200m). Slings outrange bows.

-- slinging in the skirmishing line: aimed fire with limited tactical loads. I suspect this in fact takes place at "Andean" style ranges, namely hard slinging straight ahead, at distances ca. 70-80m, aimed straight at enemy skirmishers. But this means that the slingers are fighting within bowshot, and also even long range javelin fire; rushes by shielded javelin men are a definite danger.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:27pm

in Decisive battles RTW on history channel, for the battle of Thermopylae (spelling?) the slingers where in the second row, right in front of a low defensive wall for a retreat, and behind the first row of fighters. history channel made no effort to edit this, even though they hacked most of the game for the show.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:58am

Hi Thearos,

I also believe this you are right.

I myself Shooting straight to 60 m.

I have shot this year in Spain with Jaime and because very short Balearic Sling clearly more than 300 m away.
With a Sling with retention Toggle she raises the effect again. There are some pictures which conclude by the use of a Toggels.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1254615254
The position of the thumb and the hand let suppose the use of a Toggles.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1257503658/75
The picture with the Slinger in underpants.
Also here the picture expels Toggle to a retention.

http://www.ottonenzeit.de/slinger/slinger2.html
For comparison,

the third picture from above. Thumb points with the Toggle down.

At the end a few more amusing pictures of the last year
http://picasaweb.google.de/Cruzcampoo.turms/SchleudererWettbewerb30Mai?feat=dire...

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 6:01am

How old is the girl ?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 6:23am

Girl???

The Girl is a boy and is 11 years.

It was be the first shoot last jahr. Shocked Cheesy Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 7:20am

Whoops sorry. He seems to sling pretty well.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 7:22am

Interesting, makes sense after I thought about it a bit.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 7:29am

He trains for his yellow T of shirt.
Time see whether he it this year still creates.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:31pm

Thearos wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
-- slinging at formed-up bodies of men. The target is unmissable, and shootings takes place at extreme ranges (150-200m). Slings outrange bows.

200m is well within range of a military-weight arrow from the horn/sinew recurve bows of that period. 300m is more like it. This means slinging beyond the visible range of a lead glande, so how were such shots aimed? Range estimation is likely to be highly inaccurate, with errors much larger than the depth of a maniple or phalanx. Although we know slinging was done to great distances it must have been mostly psychological.      

Quote:
-- slinging in the skirmishing line: aimed fire with limited tactical loads. I suspect this in fact takes place at "Andean" style ranges, namely hard slinging straight ahead, at distances ca. 70-80m, aimed straight at enemy skirmishers. But this means that the slingers are fighting within bowshot, and also even long range javelin fire; rushes by shielded javelin men are a definite danger.

I'm betting this is what it was mostly about, trying to drive the opposing light infantry off the battlefield so that your side gets a decisive advantage in the javelin volleys before the heavy infantry lines meet.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 6:33pm

Thearos wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
I suppose in the ancient world (say 1000 BC-AD 300), people fought with slings in two ways:

Unlike ancient armies in Eurasia, andean warriors like the Incas places their slingers in the very first line. The opposite of what you'd see in armies like the Greeks. Without horses, the rules of combat changes in unexpected ways.

What the Incas did, I think, was more like a low tech musketmen attack. The men would march in close formation (As close as you can for slingers) Then, unleash their somewhat inaccurate (but very powerful) slingshots at relative close range to soften enemy ranks.
Once the men ran out of ammo, the second line comes in: Infantry with war maces and axes. For musketmen, this would be a bayonette charge. And unlike musketmen, Incan slingers could protect themselves from enemy fire with shields they carried.   

All this is, of course, complete speculation.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 7:06pm

The passage regularly discussed for ranges is the bit in Xenophon, Anabasis, 3.3.16 and 3.4.15ff. It seems that Persians on foot, with, I assume, recurve bows, and Iranian slingers with big stones outrange Cretan archers (and, unsurprisingly, hand thrown stones); Rhodian lead-armed slingers outshoot Persian bows and slings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)