SLING HUNTING INFO? (Read 33597 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: SLING HUNTING INFO?
Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 6:58pm

This thread seems to have started some lively discussion so I have added the link to the FAQ as previous threads are quite old.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

lpcenter52
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South of Chicago
Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 11:41pm

not really hunting but i watched a show where an "modern day" Aztec threw a clay round bullet though a human skull...pretty powerful Shocked

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. &&--Albert Einstein--&&I LOVE BEING GERMAN

IP Logged

WOODSLORE
Tiro

Slinging Rocks! (get it?...
;)... )

Western Pennsylvania
Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:21am

I hit a squirel off a tree last year while fishing......he was disturbin the hatch Wink Grin He got right back up and ran away so hes alright

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:01am

If I had to hunt with a sling right now to put food on the table in an emergency situation I'd go down to the lake.  I that we're a coastal state here in New Jersey we always have lots of geese and ducks.  Though not considered to be very "sporting" I think that a sling could be best used shooting at flocks resting on the water.  Again, this is an emergency situation.  If you were handy with such a shot you could fire at them underhanded and even if your shot was a bit sort there should be enough power in the second or even third bounce to take out a duck of goose.  I have hunted ducks and geese with a 12 gauge shotgun before and I know how sturdy especially geese are.  Though I'm not mrboss, my shots are powerful and I'm sure that with a good hit I could knock a goose into next Thursday.  
  My second choice would be another very non-sporting way to hunt.  I'd wait until dusk and blast away at a squirrel's nest.  Though it would probably take me a few shots to hit one, the squirrels would stay put in the nest, believing that they are safe.  For this type of food gathering I'd use a longer sling for more power and a larger projectile, like around half the size of my fist, to negate any protection their nest might offer them.  
  I've got a long way to go before I'll be accurate enough to go into the woods and really hunt with a sling.  With that in mind, the sling could still be a useful tool for gathering food in some not so sporting ways.  Btw, in my state hunting with a sling, shooting water foul at rest on the water, and shooting squirrels in their nests are all illegal.  
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

lone-stone
Tiro

Touch The Earth!

Buxton Derbyshire uk
Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 7:12am

Hi, I think whatever we do it should be done with consideration for the prey..... To make the kill as quick and accurate as possible.
So stick to bigger pebbles which will be easier to gain accuracey with and are hard and dense. Concerning clay though,,,I would dry them over a few days the high fire them-in a pit fire. this is quite easy when you keep it simple. But still These may not be hard enough.? But volcanic rocks,,granite pebbles and quartz, flinty ones Etc (though not as dense is harder than steel...just more brittle)
       Practice,and dont give up..And have faith that You will become a master shot!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:12pm

Welcome, lone-star, and good post.  As far as stones go, I personally like slinging basalt.  It's very dense, usually round or oval shape, and packs a wallop.

IP Logged

lone-stone
Tiro

Touch The Earth!

Buxton Derbyshire uk
Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 10:00am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:12pm:
Welcome, lone-star, and good post.  As far as stones go, I personally like slinging basalt.  It's very dense, usually round or oval shape, and packs a wallop.

Thats Great,,,Basalt is a brill material,(Ive made one or two Axes with it) I built stone walls for years,and my steel hammer could not break it, without danger!!
  There are Many Basalt Deposits around Buxton Derbyshire...A massive hole used for tarmac!! what a waste! I can find it in 5mins.
I could probably shape it too,as I understand the fracture etc,,,almost!
Ive also noticed the weight,,,,I think its very dense- being lava type. 
I'm going to have to go and experiment now..Thanks "Rat-man"
I'l let You know the details,If I dont knock myself out with it!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)